Have you ever gone through a career change?

Thinking about this again today, but have no idea what I'd be good at other than working with kids and perhaps writing, so don't even know what I'd retrain in.

Sometimes I think about just going in for an English Lit MA and doing supply teaching alongside, but I have no idea what the end goal would be.

maybe try to get yourself into publishing? you know books. make books!

I have flirted with a career change and took a secondment a few years ago in HR, and I was really enjoying it but then it all went tits up when the project I was working on ran out of money and I had to go back to my old job. I applied for other jobs in HR and was offered two but it just didn't feel right. I like my job as a Data Analyst (yes same as @Tisch and @ZenGiraffe) - but I've never really been a massive career-orientated person. As long as I don't cry when I get out of bed in the mornings, then I am winning!

maybe try to get yourself into publishing? you know books. make books!
I've looked at a few publishing assistant jobs. They all seem hyper competitive but it would be nice to try. There are postgrad qualifications in editing and publishing too but I don't know how worthwhile they'd be.

As long as I don't cry when I get out of bed in the mornings, then I am winning!
This is my problem. Sometimes teaching is lovely, but then you get a really challenging class and every morning feels like this for a year. Perhaps other people are just better at taking it in their stride.

I think teaching is one of those things that is either for you, or it's not. Personally, it's not my thing but I can see why others love it so much. Life is too short to be stuck in a job or a career that doesn't make you happy, especially teaching. There's nothing worse for a student than a teacher who hates their job, as it shows! Not saying that you're like this @Chlammy AT ALL, though. It might seem scary to leave a pretty much guaranteed career for something a bit less stable, but if it is what really gets you going then it's the right decision!

I think teaching is one of those things that is either for you, or it's not. Personally, it's not my thing but I can see why others love it so much. Life is too short to be stuck in a job or a career that doesn't make you happy, especially teaching. There's nothing worse for a student than a teacher who hates their job, as it shows! Not saying that you're like this @Chlammy AT ALL, though. It might seem scary to leave a pretty much guaranteed career for something a bit less stable, but if it is what really gets you going then it's the right decision!
I get you. It's just that there are so many positives to it as well. I'm never bored, it is indeed very rewarding (cliché but true), and if you light the right class in the right school then great. It's just such a gamble and that is barely ever guaranteed. Sometimes I feel that if I can't handle the reality without getting hyper stressed then I shouldn't be doing.

I'm going to use this period to explore different types of teaching now that I'm not in a full time job, and then hopefully I can have a clearer idea.

I've moved 'sideways' several times in my career (and I continue to do so) but I've never had a full on proper career change and don't think I will...

This morning I'm applying for the Civil Service Fast Stream.

Let's see.

that looks really interesting, at least judging from the website. I work in in the civil service and while my agency is one of the more modern ones it's certainly set in its bureaucratic ways. I love it though, it's incredibly motivating to work so directly with shaping how your society works

I'm still waiting to hear back from a charity job in London. They're looking teachers to lead after school literacy for disadvantaged children, which I would love, but I was a bit dejected when they postponed shortlisting after recieving 160 applications unexpectedly. :( Who knows though.

This does look interesting though.

charity? how awfully passé, my lovely. it's every man for themselves now. what's next, knitting mittens for stray cats?

charity? how awfully passé, my lovely. it's every man for themselves now. what's next, knitting mittens for stray cats?
It's that or teaching terribly rich kids in Dubai and getting four iPhones for Christmas, Mats.

no but seriously. explore your options but from a personal perspective, entering the civil service has given me lots of ways to go, and I believe I'll have a lot of fun with it. I know our countries differ but I'd imagine it's roughly the same. and you could always be a hero of the illiterate after hours :disco:

no but seriously. explore your options but from a personal perspective, entering the civil service has given me lots of ways to go, and I believe I'll have a lot of fun with it. I know our countries differ but I'd imagine it's roughly the same. and you could always be a hero of the illiterate after hours :disco:
This is what I was thinking. If I found a job that I didn't necessarily love but that didn't dominate my time at home as well, then at least I could find things in the evenings and weekends that are more fulfilling personally!

And Dubai is a no. Lebanon was my ME country of choice, but I reckon it might be a bit volatile at the minute.

On the plus side I didn't get a call to cover the Class of Doom™ this morning, so have the day off. And it is beaming outside! That is, unless they phone me in the next 40 minutes which is perfectly PLAUSIBLE.

And I'm spending the next two weeks teaching a lovely kid via Zoom in the morning and then doing 1 to 1 literacy lessons with children with SEN for the rest of the day, which should be lovely.

Yes, I have personally gone through a career change, and it was a transformative experience. During my transition, I learned about the difference between DevOps and DevSecOps, which are both related to software development and operations but with distinct focuses. DevOps emphasizes collaboration and integration between development and operations teams to streamline software delivery. On the other hand, DevSecOps goes a step further by integrating security practices throughout the software development lifecycle. It ensures that security is not an afterthought but an integral part of the development process. Understanding the difference between these two approaches can help professionals make informed career choices and align their skills and interests accordingly.

Last edited:
Yes, I have personally gone through a career change, and it was a transformative experience. During my transition, I learned about the difference between DevOps and DevSecOps, which are both related to software development and operations but with distinct focuses. DevOps emphasizes collaboration and integration between development and operations teams to streamline software delivery. On the other hand, DevSecOps goes a step further by integrating security practices throughout the software development lifecycle. It ensures that security is not an afterthought but an integral part of the development process. Understanding the difference between these two approaches can help professionals make informed career choices and align their skills and interests accordingly.
I hope your career fails.

Get Wrecked Yeah Right GIF by NETFLIX

I'll stick with turning it off and on thanks....

You know what, I'm convinced. I'm making a career change from DevOps to DevSecOps

Due to the way the front page column cuts it off, I entered this thread thinking it was going to be "Have you ever been through a car wash?"

DISAPPOINTING

Hi ChatGPT write a post about a career change to software development please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom