Heartstopper

Apoca

ASCENDENTE
DISCUSS

I presume enough on Moopy might have seen this to warrant a thread - even we might be somewhat outside the core demographic :david:

Despite every possible reservation, I enjoyed it. It managed to be utterly charming.

Obvious thing to say, but how lovely it would have been to have a pure gay love story when we were teenagers. I know we had Beautiful Thing, but that was wrapped up in trauma (iirc) and a one off. Plus Netflix makes stuff like this very accessible.

As I said elsewhere, I was recommend this by a year 7. Several of the kids at school are obsessed by it.

I watched five minutes and decided it was going to be too twee, so watched Elite instead. I don't regret my decision, especially Omar :horny:

Loved this much more than I really should at my rapidly advancing age. I've seen a couple of pieces in the last couple of days reflecting on how great it is that a very positive, love-filled a programme like this can get made now, but also considering the impact of the absence of anything of the sort for previous generations. It has been on my mind a bit.

Was hating this by the 15 minute mark thanks to the sledgehammer exposition and the overwhelming Gen-Z-ness of it all.

The remote was slightly out of reach though so I stuck with it and I’m so glad I did. I was totally hooked by episode 2 despite my general cynicism.

Just so incredibly wholesome, but it felt totally real at the same time and it really stuck with me afterwards.

Loved this much more than I really should at my rapidly advancing age. I've seen a couple of pieces in the last couple of days reflecting on how great it is that a very positive, love-filled a programme like this can get made now, but also considering the impact of the absence of anything of the sort for previous generations. It has been on my mind a bit.
Yeah it made me a bit melancholy, but am happy to be in a position to support LBGTQ youth.

One little bit I hated in the finale

What was the 'Wow! We're at the seaside! I really didn't know!' thing all about? Guess it might be an example of something maybe passing in the source material but not on screen

The music used also (mainly) wonderful... not least the big Chvrches moment. Lots of familiar, well chosen stuff like Shura, Sunflower Bean and Chairlift, a spotlight on Baby Queen too.

I watched five minutes and decided it was going to be too twee, so watched Elite instead. I don't regret my decision, especially Omar :horny:

ott: get ready for Season 5 of this shit, it's one of the most fucked up storylines I've ever read, no wonder why a lot of people were immediately captured by Heartstopper instead.

The music used also (mainly) wonderful... not least the big Chvrches moment. Lots of familiar, well chosen stuff like Shura, Sunflower Bean and Chairlift, a spotlight on Baby Queen too.
My main thought was GET THAT STREAMING MONEY CHVRCHES

I’m glad the young gays are having it and loving it, but it’s far too tweeny for me.

ott: get ready for Season 5 of this shit, it's one of the most fucked up storylines I've ever read, no wonder why a lot of people were immediately captured by Heartstopper instead.
Finished season 5 today and, yeah. But I much prefer my TV ludicrous and bleak though.

Also the gay (boys) storyline was quite hot, if you switched your moral compass off.

Oh I bloody loved this so heartwarming but yeah made me a little emotional at how different things were and how that was never something that could have happened for me. The two leads are great and obviously THAT Olivia Colman scene was just amazing.

Awww I loved it. Olivia Coleman was perfect for that role. I also liked the character of Charlie's dad, I thought he was very perceptive to what Charlie might be going through.

My 14 year old niece has been raving about this, so I bought her the books. I will watch it, but I think I need to pick the right mood. As in not the majority of the time when I'm a right cynical old cunt.

My 14 year old niece has been raving about this, so I bought her the books. I will watch it, but I think I need to pick the right mood. As in not the majority of the time when I'm a right cynical old cunt.

Let me know if it melts your black heart x

I've just started this, although I'm already on episode 5. I'm loving it, very easy to watch and Charlie & Nick are both very likable.

I also love the fact all the teens are raving about it.

RENEWED... for two more seasons.

I wonder if they will film back to back? It would help with them still looking vaguely age appropriate but don't know if that would be feasible.

I've just started this, although I'm already on episode 5. I'm loving it, very easy to watch and Charlie & Nick are both very likable.

I also love the fact all the teens are raving about it.
A little late to be starting this, but am on episode 5 and it's so sweet to remember what that innocence felt like yet so sad that acceptance is still so hard. On the positive side it's nice that kids today don't have to grow up with minimum representation of people who feel like them on films/tv like we did.

Good reviews, too! I assumed season one feeling quite self-contained in terms of story might render this one inessential, but it’s looking everything but so far.

Count me in as another ageing homosexual who was completely won over by s1. I’m not even a nonce.

It feels like the hype this time has been considerable, but the reviews I have seen and heard have been very positive.

Watched the 1st episode.
Not sure it was up to last season's standards yet, but maybe it's me being in a bad mood, bad day and all.
I liked Imogen and Nick the best. Am not sure how I feel about Tao and Elle making things so difficult for each other.
And what's wrong with Charlie's parents? I don't remember them at all from season 1. Were they there? Were they always like that? 🤔
Idk I was expecting it to be as heartwarming as I remembered it but it somehow left me kind of cold.

Last edited:
Ooh there's ELITE chat in here! Never less than BARKING MAD but that why we love the SPANISH. Possibly gone a bit off the boil since Carla departed and we were no longer on TENTERHOOKS about the fate of the WINERIES but still WHAT A SHOW. Hoping for an INSANELY LUDICROUS FINALE :disco:

ANYWAY I don't think I can watch this. I will stick with SMILEY which always raises a GIGGLE AMONGST THE JADED

Watched the 1st episode.
Not sure it was up to last season's standards yet, but maybe it's me being in a bad mood, bad day and all.
I liked Imogen and Nick the best. Am not sure how I feel about Tao and Elle making things so difficult for each other.
And what's wrong with Charlie's parents? I don't remember them at all from season 1. Were they there? Were they always like that? 🤔
Idk I was expecting it to be as heartwarming as I remembered it but it somehow left me kind of cold.
I just finished watching the first episode.
Felt like a warm hug to me.🤗🏳️‍🌈👨‍❤️‍👨✨

Well Done Good Job GIF

Watched the 1st episode.

I quite enjoyed it, but there were some moments which took me out of things a bit. "Kissing at school!!!" The extended shots at the end of Nick walking along grinning to himself endlessly, while Joe earnestly promises he will deliver him the perfect coming out...

I hope they get past the current Tao-Elle impasse soon, agree that is going to get old very fast.

I did like the increased screen time for the charmingly ridiculous Imogen.

I don't think Charlie's mum featured much in the first series, but it was hinted she wasn't the best. His dad picked him up after the cinema and seemed supportive - I remember him coming across quite differently bit I suppose the situation was not the same.

Oh my God this fucking show :cry:
It gets so good once they're in Paris, and those last two episodes gave me all the feels. Especially the last 15 minutes.
I could have done with a bit less Tao and Elle though, but really enjoyed the Darcy/Tara plot.

Important questions:

1. Do teenagers actually say HICKEY rather than LOVEBITE?

2. HOW MANY BERETS did Imogen pack for Paris?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom