Highly regarded books šŸ“š you hate

I know itā€™s not the in thing to be negative but humour me. Letā€™s remember here that we have grown up in a heteronormative patriarchy where certain books, authors, writers, thinkers, philosophers, poets and others have been systematically rammed down our throats. Our thoughts and feelings have been shaped and morphed based on a non inclusive culture promoting certain ideals and diminishing others.

However, let me step off the soap box and the cross because we all need the wood. Ha. What.

Let me start us all up here by saying that Ernest Hemingway is the most overrated writer of all time. The Old Man and the Sea is garbage and so are A Farewell to Arms and For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Catcher in the Rye is unreadable to me, just an endless stream of consciousness and Iā€™m sorry but unless youā€™re name is Suedey and the topic is Madonna Iā€™m just not interested.

Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf I thought was remarkably a hard stream of consciousness but in a different way from Catcher. I recognise itā€™s good writing but it actually exhausts me to even read a page, and I am determined to finish it and stop feeling THICK but my goodness. Iā€™ve still not even come home from the market.

It's not for patriarchal reasons but still

Paulo Coelho - By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
Leo Buscaglia - Living Loving & Learning
Jostein Gaarder - Sophie's World
Hermann Hesse - Siddhartha

Of course saying all that, one of my most treasured memories is when @HerSereneHighnessAnniFrid and I took part in a musical production of The Hours at The Fountain Lakes Players

E3A201D4-F3BE-4AE2-AB78-9F78931F8F94.jpeg

+1 re: Catcher In The Rye, absolute dirge.

I also don't care much for Lord Of The Flies or Moon Palace.

But I do disagree with Catcher In The Rye. I remember being totally involved in it when I thought I was starring in my own version of The Rules Of Attraction at Sussex University 2001-2004.

I do love both Catcher and Gatsby; although I can see the issues around both. The former is actually one of my faves evahhh.

Iā€™ve actually never read The Lord of the Rings. It sits with many others in a (metaphorical) DNF pile.

I'm a self confessed lousy reader and my current book pile is mostly historical non fiction.

But yes I couldn't stand Catcher In The Rye

The Catcher in the Rye was boring as fuck but I did love the ending. His other books/short stories were mostly unbearable.

I loved reading Mrs Dalloway, but I read after reading The Hours which is one of my favourite books. Her other works were extremely difficult to get through, with some flashes of genius, but makes reading a hateful experience. I hate stream of conciousness writing.

I loved The Old Man and the Sea, and want to read more of Hemingway, but Iā€™m afraid the rest isnā€™t as enjoyable.

But I do disagree with Catcher In The Rye. I remember being totally involved in it when I thought I was starring in my own version of The Rules Of Attraction at Sussex University 2001-2004.
I read The Rules of Attraction every two or three years and always love it just like the first time .. read it for the first time while living in London and studying at St Martins and that particular time always comes back to as if it was yesterday

I didn't HATE it but Catch 22 left me cold. The nonchalant narration style makes you feel like absolutely nothing has happened, even though it's a fucking WAR

Also, not a fan of Fahrenheit 451 aka surely the WORST of the standard dystopian trio (the other 2 being 1984 and Brave New World)

If we're going for the 'U OK Hun' / Costa Book Club crowd etc. etc. then might I also add that Life After Life was terrible.

I read Siddhartha recently and it was fine but it was basically a shorter version of Hesseā€™s other book Narcissius and Goldmund.

I canā€™t remember how many Haruki Murakami books Iā€™ve read but Iā€™m yet to really enjoy one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom