Hillbilly Elegy

Vote

• Total voters

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him

Starring the two most Oscar-less actresses Glenn Close and Amy Adams. It’s based on a book and I get the sense that everyone is expecting this to be this year’s Goldfinch.

I feel like I've already seen the whole film after that trailer...

I love Glenn but this feels like one of those films (by Ron Howard no less!) about Middle America with Hollywood superstars looking "ugly" and a big redemption message at the end.

Ron Howard usually delivers solid movies. He’s not amazing but Rush was a very good effort for a subject I had zero interest in.

But yeah this looks very by the numbers Oscar fail.

this really should come with a "warning: acting" sticker. i hope they both win best actress for it.

it really does feel like you've seen the whole movie though. are they counting on people feeling they've seen it for some reason?

Reactions: GNL
It's all very "August: Osage County" looking. Obviously I'll watch for Glenn and Amy but not really expected a whole lot by that trailer.

i thought of august osage too! wasn't that the opposite of this though granted there were a few terse :rolleyes: moments...

August Osage County was SHIT. Perhaps the play was better but the way it was filmed was UNIMAGINATIVE as FUCK and a waste of a lot of talent. Also late-career Meryl Streep needs someone to rein her in when she's doing these OTT roles, the HAM was unbearable.

When Benedict Cumberbumble WALTZED IN with a fake American accent pretending to be the autistic child of the family I lost all will to live. No wonder Sam Shepard OFFED HIMSELF!

yes, i enjoyed it very very much streep, ham and all. need to watch it again.

Starring the two most Oscar-less actresses Glenn Close and Amy Adams
I don't know why but this FACTUAL JUDGMENT of these two women as "the two MOST Oscar-less" (do they have NEGATIVE OSCARS?) has absolutely sent me! Queens only! :disco:

Not that it’s a surprise but this is getting dragged by critics

Why can’t they just CUT GLENN A BREAK!!

421184c0-1c5e-11eb-b6b7-80eb3d6c9ccd

This makes it sound like something I will enjoy

This wasn’t the disaster I expected it to be and neither is it good. It’s very middle of the road. Amy and Glenn are good but not worthy of Oscar discussion.

I think I enjoyed it because Gabriel Basso is cute and thick and I liked looking at him.

I’m finding Glenn Close very distracting in the trailer as she looks like a Bo Selecta character?

Reactions: VoR
I watched this last night. Honestly, meh.

People need to remember that Ron Howard also directed slop like The Dilemma.

I think after I’ve watched the movie I did some googling of the real JD (to see if he’s that hot) and he does seem to have turned into an awful republican who works for venture capitalists and is considering a senate run.

I’m finding Glenn Close very distracting in the trailer as she looks like a Bo Selecta character?

The real life woman actually looked like that! :disco:

This was objectively terrible, overwrought and condescending nonsense - but I did actually enjoy it :D, though it was sorely lacking in more scenes of JD’s arse in those pyjamas :horny:

I did wonder how they had managed to fuck it up so badly considering it was based on a MEMOIR but now I know he’s a republican that makes total sense!

Yeah, I didn't hate it nearly as much as I expected. I think had it come out ten years ago, it actually WOULD have been a huge Oscar darling. It does ring as very hollow now, though.

It isn't gritty Waltons. It's rambling drivel, jumping back and forwards in time for no reason whatsoever. It's disjointed and clunky and the acting was mediocre at best. There are plenty of better "boy from bad home makes it good" stories around.

The flash back when the sister said their mom had it bad too was hand over mouth hard to watch on many levels.

The flash back when the sister said their mom had it bad too was hand over mouth hard to watch on many levels.

I didn't think it was. I was completely unsurprised by the revelation and I don't think it was done very well at all, not even grandma doing that thing that she did shocked me.

Well yes, hard to watch also because it was bad, as if she suddenly explained that particular scene then and there outside the shop :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom