jivafox

slouching towards bethlehem
Pronouns
he/him
A general thread for all our horror needs

d1f4911a38f4614f13f5221aa48493cb.gif

tumblr_lsqyzs38631qj7u8ao1_500.gif

tenor.gif

Can anyone recommend any good MONSTER movies? I'm against the grain for the horror genre. Haunted house/ghost/supernatural movies just bore me. I don't get scared, and they very rarely interest me unless they're really well made (e.g. The Others, The Orphanage). I've tried all the good ones and I just can't. Even The Shining was a chore :(

I much prefer stuff like Jaws, Jurassic Park, Predator, Alien, where people get EATEN :)

Also really like psychological horrors like Silence Of The Lambs, Se7en, The Sixth Sense etc.

All ideas welcome.

@funky have you seen John Carpenter's The Thing? The main thrust of the plot is the insane paranoia and tension, but it's also full of amazing practical creature effects and lots of people getting eaten :disco:

@funky have you seen John Carpenter's The Thing? The main thrust of the plot is the insane paranoia and tension, but it's also full of amazing practical creature effects and lots of people getting eaten :disco:

oh I LOVE IT. And I even liked the clever prequel. Yes that sort of thing please!

Reactions: COB
Have you watched any on the new prestige-y horror? The VVitch, Hereditary and Midsommar?

Oh god I've wanted a proper horror thread here for ages

aka the REAL arthouse lounge, sorry @Zu-Klara though I fully expect stellar contributions from you, and all others

Oh I think I've seen that on Prime or Netflix and playlisted it. I shall check it out if you recommend it.

If anyone else likes this genre, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend The Host

movieposter.jpg

It's by Bong Joon-Ho, before he became famous from Parasite and Snowpiercer. Classic monster movie style but with typical Korean awkward humour. Marvellous.

There's a Canadian film called The Void from a couple of years ago that you might like - it's similar to The Thing in some ways, but with more of a Lovecraftian cosmic horror vibe:

I love that! Totally ruins certain parts but the intention is there with what they're trying to achieve

Reactions: COB
I’ll second the recommendation for ‘The Void’. Also ‘The Mist’.

The Mist is also great! Very "The Walking Dead" in style, which I also love.

I enjoyed this

The_Monster_poster.jpg

It had quite the emotional impact as well as people being CHOMPED.

I don't think I've heard of that, but it reminds me of Monsters, and Trolls, which were both really good monster-movie-done-in-indie-style films

Another one for the list!

I’ve recently been a bit taken with the crap 80s slasher films that keep turning up on Amazon Prime. Chopping Mall was quite a highlight

81Y+ZN7gMqL._RI_.jpg

I’m watching a documentary about straight to video horror and they are just covering this!

That reminds me of the Garbage Pail Kids :D How 80s is the poster though

oh there's a good movie on Netflix I watched in the summer with Rafe Spall which I liked, kinda supernatural but filmed more like a monster slasher movie, with an indie feel

The_Ritual_UK_poster.png

Fuckin' A I hope this thread LASTS, God knows I've made about thirty of them. :D I thought all gays loved horror!

@funky have you seen The Descent? It's one of my favourite creature features and what's so good about it is how horrifying the situation already is BEFORE the monsters show up.

Ll1elS4.png

I
I enjoyed this

The_Monster_poster.jpg

It had quite the emotional impact as well as people being CHOMPED.

Oh my fucking god @jivafox - I wanted to mention this exact film! It went under the radar, relatively, but I love it so much. The story is very simple and the horror side of it is pretty straightforward (mum and daughter run into a strange monster, have to survive etc) but the mum, Zoe Kazan, is phenomenal in this and the story is really emotional and tragic. I recommend this to everyone. You might not be "scared" (although it does a great job, imo) but the horror elements are ace and the two leads play a blinder. One of my favourite horrors of the last decade for sure

I’ve been discovering Dario Argento’s films recently. ‘Deep Red’, ‘The Bird With The Crystal Plummage’ and ‘Tenebrae’ are well worth seeking out.

Yes @vespertine that's a great choice... I specifically remember that for the
bleak ending
which was still relatively rare when it came out. Very creative concept too. I found it exhausting to watch. I'm not claustrophobic in the way people are with lifts and crowds, but the idea of being stuck in a tiny shaft and literally having to squeeze through fills me with DREAD.

Ohhh yes! "The Descent" was really, really good. The monsters were nasty, but the claustrophobia was the REAL horror!

REC. and Get Out also great choices.

On the subject of classic horror, I recommend Rear Window. Old Hitchcocks can be a chore to watch now in terms of being actually scared because they are so from a different era. But as far as psychological thrillers go, I don't think Rear Window can be beaten. It's the cornerstone for less is more cinema for me. Absolute genius and so beautifully made. I prefer it to his other big 3 (Psycho, Vertigo and North by Northwest)

Nah The Exorcist really bored me. Again, supernatural. Just can't get scared :D

I remember everyone RAVING about that Jabawooky or whatever it's called, all the stories about not being able to sleep after, the ridiculous hype etc.

SO. BORING.

The Birds is my favourite Hitchcock. Another example of being an amazing film as you forget it’s actually about killer birds until they turn up halfway through.

The Birds is my favourite Hitchcock. Another example of being an amazing film as you forget it’s actually about killer birds until they turn up halfway through.

Only seen it once, I was expecting it to be really kitsch and schlocky but it was actually very good. Spielberg and Jackson both definitely influenced by it.

I much enjoyed It Follows more on my second watch. But yes first watch I didn’t get the hype.

REC. and Get Out also great choices.

On the subject of classic horror, I recommend Rear Window. Old Hitchcocks can be a chore to watch now in terms of being actually scared because they are so from a different era. But as far as psychological thrillers go, I don't think Rear Window can be beaten. It's the cornerstone for less is more cinema for me. Absolute genius and so beautifully made. I prefer it to his other big 3 (Psycho, Vertigo and North by Northwest)

Rear Window is only my favourite EVER film. :disco:

I far prefer it to Psycho, but I adore Vertigo and North by Northwest though. Rear Window has *everything* though.

Rear Window is only my favourite EVER film. :disco:

I far prefer it to Psycho, but I adore Vertigo and North by Northwest though. Rear Window has *everything* though.

I want to watch it again. It's the sort of movie you could write an essay about- so much to cover. The detail is astonishing. I can't think a movie that sets a mood and tone more meticulously or beautifully. It's mesmerising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom