HORROR

So I ended up watching THREE (3) films yesterday.

OVERLORD - I'm surprised it's taken me this long to get round to watching it, to be honest. It starts amazingly but progressively becomes a daft action movie with cartoonish villains and far too much sentimentality towards its characters. I kept waiting for the logical third act twist with Rosenfeld that never came, and to be honest by the time it ended I found it overly schmaltzy and a bit of a missed opportunity all round.

HOUSE OF THE WITCH - This started like a made-for-TV movie complete with off-brand swearing and glossy twenty-something actors; I half expected Melissa Joan Hart to turn up as the town's sassy mayor. The plot makes not a fuck of sense but the film itself does find its feet further in with some surprisingly decent kills (and a fucking HORRID scene involving fingernails), although having a CGI fart as the central villain was quite the choice.

SPIRAL - The MVP of the evening, best described as 'Get Out with gays'. Ridiculous bits involving an obligatory ghost girl in a white dress aside, this is a tense, well-paced thriller that makes a few bold choices and delivers a massive shock towards the end which I was hugely impressed with. Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman isn't an active cunt in it, which is a bonus, and overall I appreciated how callous it was towards the family of main characters.

I found a film about Nazi human experiments too saccharine, and a film about a loving, non-traditional family unit pleasingly callous. Bit unusual, that.

Have you seen Grotesque @ButterTart ?

Grotesque2009Poster.jpg
I've got it on my hard drive and I've read about it but I've not got around to actually watching it yet.

So I ended up watching THREE (3) films yesterday.

OVERLORD - I'm surprised it's taken me this long to get round to watching it, to be honest. It starts amazingly but progressively becomes a daft action movie with cartoonish villains and far too much sentimentality towards its characters. I kept waiting for the logical third act twist with Rosenfeld that never came, and to be honest by the time it ended I found it overly schmaltzy and a bit of a missed opportunity all round.

HOUSE OF THE WITCH - This started like a made-for-TV movie complete with off-brand swearing and glossy twenty-something actors; I half expected Melissa Joan Hart to turn up as the town's sassy mayor. The plot makes not a fuck of sense but the film itself does find its feet further in with some surprisingly decent kills (and a fucking HORRID scene involving fingernails), although having a CGI fart as the central villain was quite the choice.

SPIRAL - The MVP of the evening, best described as 'Get Out with gays'. Ridiculous bits involving an obligatory ghost girl in a white dress aside, this is a tense, well-paced thriller that makes a few bold choices and delivers a massive shock towards the end which I was hugely impressed with. Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman isn't an active cunt in it, which is a bonus, and overall I appreciated how callous it was towards the family of main characters.

I found a film about Nazi human experiments too saccharine, and a film about a loving, non-traditional family unit pleasingly callous. Bit unusual, that.

I had not heard of Spiral, I’ll add it to my list. If you want gay horror then I suggest Rift (Rökkur).

Overlord is a good premise wasted on such a cliche of a movie.

Just recommended that Hereditary to people in the works canteen who were looking for some horror to share with their (teenage) kids. I look forward to their reactions on Monday :)
The horror bits would have appealed to teenage me, but the film really is just the depression olympics and everyone in it is a Gold medalist.

Also, Toni Collette really is excellent at playing harried, desperately unhappy mothers.

The only film I can think that has properly scared me, weirdly, is Eden Lake.

It felt possible, whereas most horrors are so far removed from reality that I don't feel that bothered.

I watch very very little of it and am only really here to react to that one movie but I watched the (in)famous Shining once which was meant to be scary? I spent most of it laughing my tits off.

The only film I can think that has properly scared me, weirdly, is Eden Lake.

It felt possible, whereas most horrors are so far removed from reality that I don't feel that bothered.
Eden Lake is very possibly my favourite horror film of all time. I was stood up the entire time I first watched it because it was so tense it felt wrong to sit down and relax.

Eden Lake is very possibly my favourite horror film of all time. I was stood up the entire time I first watched it because it was so tense it felt wrong to sit down and relax.
I was at my friends house watching it with him and his dad, and the dad found the fact that I spent the entire time hugging a cushion hilarious.

Six films into my Christmas horror rewatch for my ranking and I'm already regretting it. There is a film in here that defies any explanation, let alone a pithy summary of no more than two paragraphs.

I want to make time to watch His House of Netflix which is supposed to be great.

I want to make time to watch His House of Netflix which is supposed to be great.

It's very good. Some good scares in there and quite sad too.

AVOID "Ghosts Of War" on Netflix, I watched it at the weekend and it's fucking awful.

It's very good. Some good scares in there and quite sad too.

AVOID "Ghosts Of War" on Netflix, I watched it at the weekend and it's fucking awful.
The name ‘His House’ puts me in mind of that jump scare with the old man by the telly in The Conjuring 2 who shouts ‘MY HOUSE’, so I’m automatically assuming it’s going to be creepy as fuck.

Yes, that's a good scene. I also found the scene with the painting of the nun very effective. Pity the final 20 minutes let the movie down.

Always the way with that sort of film. People start getting thrown around, furniture starts floating and the entire effects budget is spaffed up the wall, which means it’s no longer scary.

Yeah, I still lap these movies up though, they're fun and remind me of walking through a scare attraction. Hopefully the next Conjuring sequel will be good, I don't have much hope since it was directed by the guy who did The Curse of la Llorona, which is even worse than the first Annabelle and The Nun.

His House is incredible. I didn't find it scary for the horror elements (although the build up to the ending was quite dark and the final confrontation really got to me, a bit gruesome too) but it's such an unusual slant on a horror movie. Beautifully filmed too, so many long lingering shots that said all they needed to and brilliant acting.

Yeah, I still lap these movies up though, they're fun and remind me of walking through a scare attraction. Hopefully the next Conjuring sequel will be good, I don't have much hope since it was directed by the guy who did The Curse of la Llorona, which is even worse than the first Annabelle and The Nun.

:D

Not a fan of the Curse of Kel Llorenna but I'd probably rank it above those two.

The Nun film was shocking, imagine having 90 odd minutes to play with the scariest part of The Conjuring 2 and not even touching the sides.

Annabelle equally awful but I'm stunned how thry turned it around with the superior sequels even if the whole thing is trash really

Not new news but I was quite :agog:the other day to find out the lady with dead-dog-and-maybe-at-the-time-dead-murdered-baby in that HORRIFIC scene from Candyman is actually back in the new reboot/sequel. And appears to have aged about a WEEK since 1992

OMG :D

How does it even work?! Half the point of Orphan was going in not really knowing the insane twist, or at least it was for me when I wandered into the cinema back in 2009 or whenever.

Hoping it's about our dear beloved orphan forming a relationship with Julia Stiles, but actually Stiles is the villain and pulls off her skin in the final act to reveal she's orphan's evil abusive stepdad.

I'm not sure it's HORROR so much as supernatural thriller, but The Medusa Touch is on Talking Pictures tonight at 11.25pm and I think I'm going to watch it, if anyone is up for a late sync watch.

Freeview channel 81, Sky 328, Freesat 306 or Virgin 445.

Oh it's a prequel. Well, that could still work :)

Except Isabelle Furhman is now going to look at least 10 years OLDER and is surely fully grown now (just checked she's 5'3) - so how is she going to play the same character but younger!?

LIked but didn't love this, but agree the ending was fantastic. Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman really is quite a mediocre actor.

Except Isabelle Furhman is now going to look at least 10 years OLDER and is surely fully grown now (just checked she's 5'3) - so how is she going to play the same character but younger!?

Don't look at me, I was drunk when I wrote that.

I haven't seen it for years, but she was about 12/13 at the time and playing a FULLY GROWN ADULT, right? (in the sense that the character was meant to be grown up even though we were supposed to believe she was a kid?). So given there will presumably be no audience deception on that front in the prequel, we'll just be seeing her as a young adult now, before she pretended to be a child or whatever.

Just working through my annual Argento rewatch season.

Argento top 5:
1. Opera
2. Sleepless
3. Suspiria
4. Phenomena
5. Tenebrae

I watched Opera for the first time yesterday. I love some of his films but this one made it hard work :D Yet I was hooked, maybe for the wrong reasons.

The deaths were typically creative and ludicrous, though I don't think anything topped being jammed onto a coat peg.

What the hell was that carry on with that one who died (as if I know any of their names except BETTY) after having an iron flung at her back and swallowing the chain? It's like they had no actual script and hilarious cockney voice dubbed woman did as she pleased (all the while grinning and LAUGHING at her own impending murder, and looking at Betty tied up with needles under her eyes like a mild curiousity) and to hell with logic and believable human reaction :D

And my god at that bit at the end. "Betty he's here, you best run," as if she's about to miss the bus.

Hot evil copper was :horny: to infinity, mind.

Now I think about it, it's a solid 10/10 :disco:

And that POOR CREEPY CHILD who I can't even remember the fate of but whose sole purpose was to spy on Betty and rescue her, only to be bollocked by her mum for it

"You're disgusting!"

"YOU'RE disgusting! You're always NAKED!"

*mum wallops her and she's never seen again*

:D/:(

And that POOR CREEPY CHILD who I can't even remember the fate of but whose sole purpose was to spy on Betty and rescue her, only to be bollocked by her mum for it

"You're disgusting!"

"YOU'RE disgusting! You're always NAKED!"

*mum wallops her and she's never seen again*

:D/:(
Yeah, I expected one or both of them to snuff it and they both just pop off and never come back :D

I absolutely love Opera, it's the height of Argento's insanity and I feel like it really works. I've long since abandoned any hope of finding a coherent plot in a Giallo film so I'm content to just watch knives wiggling around inside people's mouths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom