HORROR

We should REALLY try to get a Moopy viewing party for noted festive classic BLACK CHRISTMAS on the schedule.

Margot Kidder as Often Inebriated Barb is SUCH an icon :disco:

margotkidder.jpg
I'm starting my Christmas horror ranking IMMINENTY (Maybe tonight) and *SPOILER ALERT* I do mention that Barb is quite possibly my favourite horror character of all time.

I was going to watch Black Christmas (remake) last night but then went for Underwater which was an hour and half of people being stupid and it got on my nerves.

I haven't seen the remake, but I can't imagine it being anywhere near as good.

I watched Opera for the first time yesterday. I love some of his films but this one made it hard work :D Yet I was hooked, maybe for the wrong reasons.

The deaths were typically creative and ludicrous, though I don't think anything topped being jammed onto a coat peg.

What the hell was that carry on with that one who died (as if I know any of their names except BETTY) after having an iron flung at her back and swallowing the chain? It's like they had no actual script and hilarious cockney voice dubbed woman did as she pleased (all the while grinning and LAUGHING at her own impending murder, and looking at Betty tied up with needles under her eyes like a mild curiousity) and to hell with logic and believable human reaction :D

And my god at that bit at the end. "Betty he's here, you best run," as if she's about to miss the bus.

Hot evil copper was :horny: to infinity, mind.

Now I think about it, it's a solid 10/10 :disco:

I know I've seen Opera at some stage, but I don't remember anything about it except for the bit with the needles under the eyes and the kill through the key hole. Argento is such hard work for me. I do love Suspiria and remember liking Tenebrae, but all the other movies I've seen either bore or exhaust me, no matter how stylish they are. Even Deep Red.

I'm starting my Christmas horror ranking IMMINENTY (Maybe tonight) and *SPOILER ALERT* I do mention that Barb is quite possibly my favourite horror character of all time.

I've been itching to watch Black Christmas for the past two weeks, but I want to wait until December. And yes, Barb is amazing. I'm also in love with Olivia Hussey's accent and line delivery. "Hello? Pardinnn? WhooooOOOOOOOO?"

I watched Run with Sarah Paulson the other day. Not really horror, but elements of it reminded me of Misery. It was such a disappointment, 5 minutes in you know exactly how every plot twist is going to turn out. It was actually laughably bad in parts, and the ending was particularly eye roll inducing.

I've been itching to watch Black Christmas for the past two weeks, but I want to wait until December. And yes, Barb is amazing. I'm also in love with Olivia Hussey's accent and line delivery. "Hello? Pardinnn? WhooooOOOOOOOO?"
I have to say the phone calls in that properly freaked me out when I first watched it.

Actually it's one of the few films to genuinely frighten me, it's incredibly intense once Jess goes searching for Barb.

@ButterTart's avi reminds me, if memory serves they got some random college student to stand there naked with the Angela mask on, and he was weeping before shooting and absolutely mortified after. :(

Not like today where ANY OLE Instagram gay would be more than HAPPY to get their COCK OUT ON THE SCREEN. :D

@ButterTart's avi reminds me, if memory serves they got some random college student to stand there naked with the Angela mask on, and he was weeping before shooting and absolutely mortified after. :(

Not like today where ANY OLE Instagram gay would be more than HAPPY to get their COCK OUT ON THE SCREEN. :D
I mean, what a legacy though. Probably ruined his life but the rest of us had a great time.

Don't look at me, I was drunk when I wrote that.

I haven't seen it for years, but she was about 12/13 at the time and playing a FULLY GROWN ADULT, right? (in the sense that the character was meant to be grown up even though we were supposed to believe she was a kid?). So given there will presumably be no audience deception on that front in the prequel, we'll just be seeing her as a young adult now, before she pretended to be a child or whatever.

Yes... but MUCH taller than she was when she played the part at the age of 12... Most girls grow another 6 inches between 12 and adulthood. Anyway.. it'll be shit.

Watched Black Christmas (the original) last night. It was quite stressful and the perverted voice in the phone really works when you’re watching with headphones at 11pm.

Anyone seen 12 Hour Shift? It's utterly barmy and really is one big metaphor for nurses having a hellish time of it, but if you can get past how literally everything is implausible (in fact that's half the appeal) it's so much nonsense fun! Angela Bettis is brilliant as a perma-pissed off nurse with issues

Anyone seen 12 Hour Shift? It's utterly barmy and really is one big metaphor for nurses having a hellish time of it, but if you can get past how literally everything is implausible (in fact that's half the appeal) it's so much nonsense fun! Angela Bettis is brilliant as a perma-pissed off nurse with issues

I'm always here for Angela Bettis ever since I saw her in May. I thought this sounded a bit Tarantino-esque, so I wasn't overly interested, but I might give it a go.

I watched Wrong Turn 2021, it was fine. It doesn't have a lot to do with the Wrong Turn series, it reminded me of Midsommar instead. Tries to be very current with some social commentary and even has a gay couple (that doesn't get to do a lot).

I was really looking forward to Saint Maud as well, which seemed to have a fair bit of buzz. The characters are excellent and it feels so well filmed and polished, but arguably a bit slow in places. I think if you go in expecting a powerful psychological drama rather than outright horror, you'll get a lot more out of it.

I thought it was a really interesting portrayal of Maud's problems rather than going down the obvious cliched route they could have done with this particular...issue if you like! Great acting all round

And that ending :o

I was really looking forward to Saint Maud as well, which seemed to have a fair bit of buzz. The characters are excellent and it feels so well filmed and polished, but arguably a bit slow in places. I think if you go in expecting a powerful psychological drama rather than outright horror, you'll get a lot more out of it.

I thought it was a really interesting portrayal of Maud's problems rather than going down the obvious cliched route they could have done with this particular...issue if you like! Great acting all round

And that ending :o

I bought this last week but not got round to watching it yet. Might do a bit of ironing this weekend and stick it on then.

I'm always here for Angela Bettis ever since I saw her in May. I thought this sounded a bit Tarantino-esque, so I wasn't overly interested, but I might give it a go.

I watched Wrong Turn 2021, it was fine. It doesn't have a lot to do with the Wrong Turn series, it reminded me of Midsommar instead. Tries to be very current with some social commentary and even has a gay couple (that doesn't get to do a lot).

I would never compare it to Tarantino! It's basically full on slapstick in places. But they never fully go all in on that so the tone can be a bit wobbly. I laughed quite a bit though and Angela Bettis carries it completely. Just the sheer gall of what they allow to happen in a hospital under everyone's noses and hope the viewers go along with it :D

Bizarrely features David Arquette as a serial killer, who I think also wrote or directed it.

Didn't know about a new Wrong Turn, will look into that!

I would never compare it to Tarantino! It's basically full on slapstick in places. But they never fully go all in on that so the tone can be a bit wobbly. I laughed quite a bit though and Angela Bettis carries it completely. Just the sheer gall of what they allow to happen in a hospital under everyone's noses and hope the viewers go along with it :D

Bizarrely features David Arquette as a serial killer, who I think also wrote or directed it.

Didn't know about a new Wrong Turn, will look into that!

Oh good, it sounded like gangster thing when I read some blurb on it, maybe I didn't pay enough attention.

There's also some new indie horror called Sator out that sounds interesting, but I'm not keen on subtle slow-burn horror at the moment, so I haven't watched Saint Maud yet either...

@ButterTart I saw a horror guy on the telly and instantly thought of you :) he had recently opened a shop/webshop, so if you're on the lookout for rare stuff it might be worth a glance. lots of Danish productions that no-one has ever heard of too http://phantasmodvd.dk

Oh good, it sounded like gangster thing when I read some blurb on it, maybe I didn't pay enough attention.

There are gangster elements but it's really nothing but an excuse to justify the plot. As I say it's mostly tongue in cheek with a nod to serious elements, so don't let that put you off.

Highly recommend SLAXX if you like the ludicrous "random object kills people" genre. But this one is actually really good...it's only about 70 minutes long, almost everyone in it bar the main girl is intentionally horrible and it's properly funny all the way through. And weirdly a theme that's surprisingly emotional in a way. So much better than it has any right to be

It's on Shudder if anyone has that

Reactions: dUb
I watched Nobody Sleeps In The Woods Tonight last night and thought it was great! Not the most original premise (teens in the woods getting killed) but really well done. A couple of great kills too

On Netflix. It's in Polish, I watched it with subtitles but trailer is dubbed:

Last edited:
I watched Nobody Sleeps In The Woods tonight last night and thought it was great! Not the most original premise (teens in the woods getting killed) but really well done. A couple of great kills too

On Netflix. It's in Polish, I watched it with subtitles but trailer is dubbed:

I meant to watch this a few weeks back. I’ll give it a whirl.

Reactions: dUb
Have you ever seen Cold Prey and its sequel? Fantastic Norwegian slashers. The third one is much less essential unfortunately.

OMG... I just watched The Dark and The Wicked, which is on Shudder. Has 91% rating on Rotten Tomatoes (though only 63% from audience). But man.. this was an incredibly intense, dark ride. Highly highly recommended. I had to turn the lights on about half-way through, it was so intense. :o

Personally I wouldn't read anything or watch the trailer, because it gives away one big plot point that I'm glad I didn't know before I watched it but for those that like to have some idea of the movie here it is:

Genuinely shaken.

Features an evil stepmother in a headscarf, and a pair of cockney girls (one of whom dresses as Madonna and the other one is called ENID :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom