How can a business support the LGBTQ+ community?

Iguana

If I only could...
As the only out gay at my workplace (out of 175 people!), I have the honour of being asked to join our newly-created Diversity Committee as the token gay.

They're apparently keen to attract more LGBTQ+ employees, or at least make it clear it's a safe space to come out. I think the best way of doing that is by showing support of appropriate causes. It is a business so it's all quite cynical, but I may as well try to make something positive out of it.

I wondered whether anyone had any ideas about how a medium-sized business can support the LGBTQ+ community, particularly during lockdown? I have a friend whose work put on a London Pride event and join in the parade with banners, but that's not going to happen during the pandemic and I question how helpful it really is.

Any ideas welcome. I will of course steal them to progress me career (as if providing diversity ideas helps one's career...)

How are the ONLY ONE!? I work for a company with 3 people and I’m not the only one.

(I'm not really known as the gay one, I don't think, but they made it sound like that when they invited me to join the committee and asked me why I thought other people hadn't come out)

Oh to be the only one and have the WHIFF of EXOTICA about me

It's ten a penny in our place

I was told on the day I joined my new job I was "NOT THE ONLY ONE" and I spent a whole week fantasising about CUTE BEARDED ADMIN BOY and HOT TECHY GEEK GUY only to find over breakfast at my hotel on my third day there that I was sharing my WEETABIX with a LIPSTICK LEZ.

Fuming.

Yours are all vegan lesbains though right?

Oh DON'T

that team day next week had a BRING A VEGETABLE FOR LUNCH, which were all going to be boiled or roasted and blended into soup for lunch.

Then there was a ZOOM ROW when someone asked if they could bring chicken for the meat eaters

That was my third day back after being off sick for a month, so I just went back to WEAVING MY YOGHURT and KEPT WELL BUTTONED

A very simple and completely inexpensive way I’d suggest is adding pronouns to your email signature.

I have no idea what the business you work in is, but it’s something my last two organisations have done, completely unenforced - just given the option to and made clear it’s welcomed if staff want to.

It’s gone down well and a few new starters have said how progressive it is and their old organisation would never, etc.

All our policies have been rewritten this year, and pretty much all gendered language has been removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom