How do you solve a problem like corruption within the juries?

So basically the 6 countries in question all voted for one another to a disproportionate enough extent that it was considered by the voting partners to be "irregular."

Some very granular detail has been revealed in that link, although some questions are unanswered such as why the juries were allowed to convene on the Friday when there was no chance of their votes being used, and none of this being communicated to broadcasters in advance of the final.

Some very granular detail has been revealed in that link, although some questions are unanswered such as why the juries were allowed to convene on the Friday when there was no chance of their votes being used, and none of this being communicated to broadcasters in advance of the final.
Presumably to stop them from making a big song and dance about it (as they did afterwards) and ruining the final?

Interesting. Particularly interesting is the statement:-

"Bearing in mind that they are all music professionals requested to vote on the basis of the same criteria laid down under the Rules of the Contest"

Have these criteria ever actually been published, do we know?

Interesting. Particularly interesting is the statement:-

"Bearing in mind that they are all music professionals requested to vote on the basis of the same criteria laid down under the Rules of the Contest"

Have these criteria ever actually been published, do we know?
EBU still being secretive with publishing the rules, but we have this:

I can find the criteria for the jurors cause I remember reading it pre contest and thinking that it is very vague.
Give me a second and I'll edit the post to include it.

It's not the actual source I remember reading but it's the same 4 criteria:
- the vocal capacity of the artist(s)
- the performance on stage
- the composition and originality of the song
- the overall impression by the act

source: https://eurovision.tv/about/voting

Here for an EBU kangaroo court, with a jury of former hard-done-by contestants

I thought they surely would ban some countries, but thinking again, they're not going to do that because of some corrupt juries, right? Not that they shouldn't, but they will put the blame on them and that's it. Also there are some other countries with weird voting from juries most of the years, they usually rate very low to the hot favourites to win. Like Italy, who gave no points to Sweden, Ukraine or Spain and only 6 to UK, and this is definitive: the only jury that didn't give points to Euphoria. Come on.

Last edited:
I’ve always found the Italian jury are quite ODD when it comes to their votes even if they’re not a favourite. They gave fucking Rybak twelve a few years ago!

Am not sure how I feel about the statement. It does tell us everything about how they all actually voted for each other now that it is updated, however so many things are still unanswered.
Nonetheless, it's not like they gave their highest votes to a series of unanimously accepted flops ie Cyprus, Malta and Israel. Their top choices make some sense, Azerbaijan is a huge jury bait, Poland is too, Georgia would be an understandable hit if these particular juries were made out of hipsters, San Marino had a very professional package and Romania while lacking in artistic value, was just impossible not to like. And I also think they kind of make sense in terms of their historic patterns (for the time being that's coming out of my ass, I'll have to research).

I'm pleasantly surprised about how much they've released; I'm fascinated to know how they actually pieced it together and gradually drew the conclusion though.

Not a denial.
255EF2A7-CC3F-405E-B64D-9AEA2D8EE94A.jpeg

I’m not sorry and I’ll do it again.

It does seem legally ridiculous to dictate to someone that based on someone else's preference their personal taste is invalid.
I think the EBU’s argument is that the jury votes aren’t meant to be based on personal taste but on some sort of objective criteria which they won’t tell us.

I saw someone on Reddit pointing out that someone must have been behind all this collusion to ensure all of the jurors voted together in the right way... and their theory is that it was Putin :manson:

I think the EBU’s argument is that the jury votes aren’t meant to be based on personal taste but on some sort of objective criteria which they won’t tell us.
They do, the criteria are there, but criteria like "overall impression of the whole act" for example can (and imo it's healthy to) be very open and diverse.
Imagine an ASFM where everyone had my own taste for example.
I think that EBU doesn't have a strong case on the criteria subject, or even the point of using an "algorithm" to replace deviations from what constitutes the "algorithmic" acceptable taste, but if they have made a legally binding agreement with the broadcasters that they can do whatever they want with the votes if they have suspicions on whatever ground they like, Romania won't be able to do much.

I saw someone on Reddit pointing out that someone must have been behind all this collusion to ensure all of the jurors voted together in the right way... and their theory is that it was Putin :manson:

Someone's holding onto some initial feelings (I say as that was an initial pang of fear when I first heard the news), this is just Azerbaijan, San Marino and friends doing what they do.

I would be a little miffed if they claimed some of my wildly varying taste was invalid but I can't say it's that, there's too many receipts out there. Still, TVR have their reason to withdraw now if they want to save money.

I'm pretty sure that Romania held a referendum last weekend over whether they should stay in Eurovision and the YES vote won with something like 57%. I saw something about it on Twitter.

Think that was just a website running a poll, not a binding referendum! :D
I thought they held the referendum on TV. Am I mistaken? There was some female Romanian entry from yesteryear crowing about how the result was a success for Eurovision fans and that TV channel should respect that the people have spoken and get on with preparing for 2023.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom