I'm Addicted vs. Addicted

Which song do you prefer?

• Total voters
When did our posts change from language to magic, Suedey? :disco:

I can't get enough of Madonna's upping the auntie of Dannii's Love Fight. Her lyrics are splendid:

All of the letters push to the front of my mouth
And saying your name is somewhere between a prayer and a shout
And I can't get it out

And it does not stop there. It gives me the impression Madge spent all of '92 out of her face at illegal field raves. Just wow, Madge, wow.

The other is nice too, but not capable of the same delirious rave rapture.

can't even remember whatever shitty Rebel Heart reject [demo 3] [Avicii refix] that was so it'll have to be the WTF IS MDNA? CUT.

See I don't KNOW what it IS
But I'm ATTRACTED to the DARK

I'm an 'Addicted [One that Got AWAY]' kinda gal myself.

GOD, I seriously need the Rebel Heart demos album I downloaded ages ago on some streaming platform STAT so I can pop my gunny on New Year's.

On this subject I would say that my favourite proper rejects from the era would be:

• Never Let You Go
  • Nothing Lasts Forever
  • Heaven

On this subject I would say that my favourite proper rejects from the era would be:

• Never Let You Go
  • Nothing Lasts Forever
  • Heaven

As a basic bitch I am partial to

• Revolution
  • Borrowed Time (In all of its 2011 Avicii trademark drop GLORY)
  • Make The Devil Pray (with its Zelda sounding intro :disco: )

MADONNA - REBEL HEART October 2014 release date

Tracklist:

LP1: 'REBEL' SIDE

1. Rebel Heart
2. Bitch I'm Madonna
3. Iconic
4. Devil Pray
5. Revolution
6. Grafitti Heart
7. Addicted
8. Two Steps Behind Me
9. Unapologetic Bitch
10. Veni Vidi Vici

LP2: 'HEART' SIDE
1. Living for Love
2. Ghosttown
3. Nothing Lasts Forever
4. Inside Out
5. Never Let You Go
6. Joan of Arc
7. HeartBreakCity
8. Heaven
9. Messiah
10. Wash All Over Me

MADONNA - MDNA November 2011 release date

1. Girl Gone Wild
2. Gang Bang
3. I'm Addicted
4. Turn up the Radio
5. Some Girls
6. Beautiful Killer
7. I Don't Give A
8. I Fucked Up
9. Masterpiece
10. Love Spent
11. Falling Free

As you can see from this exercise above, Rebel Heart could have been redeemed. MDNA, even with some pruning, will always go down in history as her worst studio album ever. And yes even Hard Candy is bettah.

As you can see from this exercise above, Rebel Heart could have been redeemed. MDNA, even with some pruning, will always go down in history as her worst studio album ever. And yes even Hard Candy is bettah.

I know that you're right in theory, but for me Rebel Heart feels so long and uneven that I listen to it a lot less than MDNA. If she had used the (mostly) better demo versions it'd be a completely different story, but what we got in the end is just not that good.

On a side note, I can only listen to the Haddaway mashup of Living for Love these days, the original version annoys me too much.

I know that you're right in theory, but for me Rebel Heart feels so long and uneven that I listen to it a lot less than MDNA. If she had used the (mostly) better demo versions it'd be a completely different story, but what we got in the end is just not that good.

On a side note, I can only listen to the Haddaway mashup of Living for Love these days, the original version annoys me too much.

I agree with this. Rebel Heart feels like such a slog - it's more of a playlist than an album. I understand why she had to release it in the way she did given the leaks though. I think she & her entire team were in panic mode and it's unfortunate but it is what it is. MDNA actually feels 'cohesive' as an album from start to finish and has that strong (dated) EDM sound with Solveig & Orbit flourishes. MDNA has her own identity in the canon - it's just unfortunate that it happens to be that of a reductive, basic queen.

In terms of songwriting, however, there is absolutely no contest. The songs on Rebel Heart stand head and shoulders above pretty much almost everything from MDNA with the possible exception of 'Masterpiece' and 'Falling Free'.

MDNA - Iguana edition

1. I'm Addicted
2. Turn Up The Radio
3. Beautiful Killer
4. Gang Bang
5. I'm A Sinner
6. Give Me All Your Luvin'
7. Girl Gone Wild
8. I Don't Give A
9. Masterpiece
10. LoveSpent
11. Falling Free

I listened to MDNA yesterday for the first time in ages and I didn't dislike it as much as I thought I would.

Maybe I'll have a Madonna day today.

My only beef with I'm Addicted is that her vocal is really quiet at the beginning for some unfathomable reason

I guess it creates dynamic with the chorus but she should have been pushed to the front of the mix a bit more

Why did they not re-record the first line of Gang Bang? :D She swallows the word "hell" and they were just like "Yeah that'll do"
Yeah it's a bit like the album version of 'Rebel Heart' when she swallows 'girl' in 'like the other girls' bit. It's one of her things I guess.

Yeah it's a bit like the album version of 'Rebel Heart' when she swallows 'girl' in 'like the other girls' bit. It's one of her things I guess.

I did get the sense from the William Orbit interview around that time that she was giving one take and the producer could like it or lump it (he may have been exaggerating). It's just a bit JARRING but there is more to complain about on the album than that I guess :D

I always loved “Queen” which I recall got bumped off at the very last second as it was included in the album leak but not on the official release.

I did get the sense from the William Orbit interview around that time that she was giving one take and the producer could like it or lump it (he may have been exaggerating). It's just a bit JARRING but there is more to complain about on the album than that I guess :D
William Orbit made it clear that Madonna's mind was on other things during the MDNA sessions. However, in the case of 'Falling Free' for example even though that was one vocal take apparently it was quite a riveting experience for both of them. A lot of Madonna's recordings in the past at least were done in a single take (and at times demo vocals were actually used) to capture the moment. 'Mer Girl' is another example. As are many of her Pat Leonard songs.

However, in the case of MDNA this was not always an artistic choice - it was just because she had the film, superbowel movement, perfume, lingerie, Material Girl clothes line etc. etc. and all sorts of other things on her mind as well. Not saying it's defensible - just mansplaining.

On this note I will add that MDNA probably features some of her weakest recorded vocals. 'Love Spent' is a mess vocally and don't even get me started on the production.

William Orbit made it clear that Madonna's mind was on other things during the MDNA sessions. However, in the case of 'Falling Free' for example even though that was one vocal take apparently it was quite a riveting experience for both of them. A lot of Madonna's recordings in the past at least were done in a single take (and at times demo vocals were actually used) to capture the moment. 'Mer Girl' is another example. As are many of her Pat Leonard songs.

However, in the case of MDNA this was not always an artistic choice - it was just because she had the film, superbowel movement, perfume, lingerie, Material Girl clothes line etc. etc. and all sorts of other things on her mind as well. Not saying it's defensible - just mansplaining.

On this note I will add that MDNA probably features some of her weakest recorded vocals. 'Love Spent' is a mess vocally and don't even get me started on the production.

This confirms what I thought those sessions must have been like, thank you! The magic of a single take can be amazing, when it's a good take. Mer Girl I wouldn't want any other way! The Falling Free vocals are really pretty good too.

I know it has its fans on here but I also find the vocal and production of LoveSpent to be messy and I'd like to hear it in a different form (although to be honest I also find the lyrics pretty weak). Still better than Some Girls and Superstar though...!

I think the remix and live version (which was loosely based on the remix and sung in a lower key) of 'Love Spent' are much better than the album version.

'Love Spent' was not initially on the MDNA Tour setlist but she added it when fans asked for it at soundchecks. The footage from soundchecks when she spontaneously starts singing it show that she clearly struggles to sing it in the original key.

Rebel Heart is a bit of a no win as there is a very good 12 track album there but as a fan once you know how many songs there are you want them all. It would’ve benefitted from the 90s singles market era with a proper singles campaign with 2 or 3 bonus tracks on cd1 and mixes on cd2. Ironically she wasn’t really the bsides type back then.

the best songs on Rebel Heart are so much better than the best of MDNA. Devil Pray, Unapologetic Bitch, Body Shop, Ghosttown, Rebel Heart (ALBUM VERSION) - all fantastic. Devil Pray not being a single was all kinds of madness. Bitch I'm Marge, Living For Love and Wash All Over Me are alright. unfortunately a lot of the rest is not up to much. Illuminati? Veni Vidi Vici? what tuneless garbage.

the only song on MDNA I unreservedly love is I Fucked Up, which is gorgeous and new and quite exciting. and I Don't Give A is good too. her vocals across that album were a DISAHHHSTER, DARLING.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom