I'm thinking of buying a console

Tisch

Spare potatoes
Gamers of Moopy. Advice please!

As the title suggests, I am thinking of buying a console. The last one I bought was a Nintento Wii for £10 off my sister, so I believe the industry might have changed a bit by then.

I assume my options are realistically between a PS4 and a Nintento Switch.

A bit about me to help with your advice. :tisch:

- I'm aware a fair whack of money will need to be spent, but I'm not looking to spend silly amounts. I'd also prefer to not have lots of "extras" along the way. You know how phone games need you to buy 'diamonds' or some such to progress? Do games of the modern day involve this? Do I need to "subscribe" to a Netflix style system to download games these days? Because I don't think I play enough to warrant that truth be told.

- I'm not fussed AT ALL about playing online and playing with strangers. I'm not sure this is really avoided though is it?

- I am very into Mario and Zelda games and intrigued by Animal Crossing (though I know I've missed the boat on that somewhat) which leans me to the Nintendo model, but also the GTA series which leans me to PS4. Also this Fall Guys looks good. What model is that on?

I think they're the main points. Is it just something I'm considering at this stage (while still working from home I suppose). I don't play much at all, but might play more if actual new games are in my hands again. :) *plays Mario Party 8*

You'd probably be best with the Switch, you just can't beat those Nintendo exclusives - you can't get GTA but there are other games that are similar (such as Saints Row), and Fall Guys isn't on it but MIGHT be in the future :o You also have the flexibility of playing on the TV or handheld, which is lovely.

You'd probably be best with the Switch, you just can't beat those Nintendo exclusives - you can't get GTA but there are other games that are similar (such as Saints Row), and Fall Guys isn't on it but MIGHT be in the future :o You also have the flexibility of playing on the TV or handheld, which is lovely.
Thank you! This is helpful, and to be honest I was sort of leaning that way. I just think it's more expensive than the PS4 which is also older. So swings and roudabouts.

If you're not going for preowned there probably isn't much of a difference in price for the hardware, particularly if you're looking for deals. Switch software does tend to stay high in price/go on sale less than PS4 games though.

For longevity, I reckon a Switch. I'd recommend a PS4, but at this point you'd be apt to just wait on for the PS5. Not to say you wouldn't enjoy a PS4 - there are a shit ton of absolutely amazing games to be had.

I'd personally wait on the PS front just to see what they have planned. It sure is a shame GTA doesn't seem to have been possible on Switch.

On a sidebar, I can't believe just how cheap Sony and Microsoft games go for - I have a lot of 20 XB1 games that I'm not managing to sell for £120, with a similar situation for a bundle of sealed PS4 titles, and I sure as hell ain't selling for £3-10 individually.

You laugh but it has two amazing Shining Force games, the Game Gear :disco:

I'd only recommend a PS4 if you cared enough to miss out on Sony exclusive games like Last Guardian which doesn't sound like it's your case. All the other big releases you can get on a mid-range PC anyway.

Also if you're attracted by Zelda and Mario a Switch is a no-brainer.

I missed this in the original post -
- I'm aware a fair whack of money will need to be spent, but I'm not looking to spend silly amounts. I'd also prefer to not have lots of "extras" along the way. You know how phone games need you to buy 'diamonds' or some such to progress? Do games of the modern day involve this? Do I need to "subscribe" to a Netflix style system to download games these days? Because I don't think I play enough to warrant that truth be told.
Some games have systems like this, but they're usually clearly labelled as 'free to play' and as having microtransactions (Fortnite is a good example of a game like this). Sony and Microsoft have - or are about to launch - game subscription services, but these are streaming-based so if you go that route you could stream to a computer or tablet and wouldn't really need a console at all :o

All three current consoles have a subscription service in order to play games online - you said this isn't something you're into, but the Nintendo one is very cheap (£10-£15 for the year) AND it gives you access to a selection of NES and SNES games :tisch:

Several times I’ve mis-read this as “I’m thinking of buying cocaine”.

Thank you all!

I think I might look more into the Switch and not into the cocaine. X

And I know the PS4 is about to the usurped by the 5 but that's what made me consider it as I thought maybe it'll start getting down in price. But if it's not much different to the Switch then it's probably a no brainer.

All three current consoles have a subscription service in order to play games online - you said this isn't something you're into, but the Nintendo one is very cheap (£10-£15 for the year) AND it gives you access to a selection of NES and SNES games :tisch:

Sorry stupid question alert - With this you still have to actually pay for the new games as well though? Like a one off payment of £50ish?
I missed this in the original post -

Some games have systems like this, but they're usually clearly labelled as 'free to play' and as having microtransactions (Fortnite is a good example of a game like this).
The reason I ask this is about a year ago my parents bought my sister's husband an X Box "game" but it turned out to be a GOLD MEMBERS EDITION and you needed to actually buy the real version of the game before playing. (Basically it was like a Sims expansion pack) They wanted me to explain it to them, and no-one knew why the game didn't have any content, but I'd never seen anything like that in consoles before.

Just want to make sure the gaming world isn't rife with shit like that before I plunge.

Just ask me before you buy any games, I'll tell you if it's a proper game or not :tongueout:

Most games are still a one-off purchase. The Switch subscription thing is to play your games online, but I mention it as it also gives you access to a bonus thing where you can play a selection of NES and SNES games, since you mentioned Ig getting you a Sega thing in the past I thought you might like that :D

You can still buy many games that don't require that, but the direction of travel with games that have more "longevity" and that have built communities around them (like Destiny, Smash Bros, Street Fighter, etc) IS they're all heading towards a subscription model or a situation where you pay for the base game and then pay for the upgrades, DLC, extra characters, etc. as they roll out.

Or you can ignore all of that nonsense and play indie games :-)

Oh I seeeee. As a child deprived of both a NES and a SNES that does appeal.

Thanks again! I'll let you know if i take the plunge and need to sell you some turnips or something.

You can still buy many games that don't require that, but the direction of travel with games that have more "longevity" and that have built communities around them (like Destiny, Smash Bros, Street Fighter, etc) IS they're all heading towards a subscription model or a situation where you pay for the base game and then pay for the upgrades, DLC, extra characters, etc. as they roll out.

Or you can ignore all of that nonsense and play indie games :-)
I'm fine with services like that as long as it's easy for me to ignore. I don't like feeling I don't have a choice.

This thread made me think of this picture for no reason whatsoever.

576208_oeeea.jpg

Well I’ve missed the boat a bit but I was only going to say what COB said. Vested interest because I have and love the Switch.

you’ve got the flagship games like Mario and Zelda

ABSOLUTELY get Animal Crossing! OMG you can play with Iggy and run on the beach together in little outfits and not kiss but radiate flowers of happiness on a bridge <3

I mean the thread has dried up a bit but even now they releasing updates with new events and features, and not in a “the original game was shit but we ran out of time” way.

if you’ve ever loved Megadrive Sonic the hedgehog, Sonic Mania is essential (and probably cheap).

I have the online thing, I don’t do random battles on the usual games, but I think you need it for AC. Anyway the stuff they give you for free is solid. Tetris 99 is worth the price alone IMO. And the SNES/NES libraries are adding new titles still

This thread made me think of this picture for no reason whatsoever.

576208_oeeea.jpg
Oh yes :D and this is before I asked a follow-up question about the online aspect of gaming, which I was going to ask last night but didnt want to keep bombarding @COB with follow-ups :D

So I was the under the impression that all games were online these days but that's not true? You can pay an online subscription to do but you don't really have to? Because that's good for me!

Thanks @Diddy as well. All insight is good. I might do some price research today. Probably not the best day as I also get paid today. :tisch:

It really depends on the game - some are focused on multiplayer, but there are still a lot of single player experiences too. Most games are online in the sense they'll sometimes connect to a server for things like updates and patches, but you wouldn't need a subscription to get those.

Can someone please post a “come play with us” Shining gif?

or a culty “one of us! One of us” one

I have bought a PS4. :o it all came down to what I thought looked the better deal and I could get one with three games - one of which I've heard of and wanted to get anyway - for £250. My friends all seemed to recommend it over the Switch as well and said the PS PLUS streaming service was good and games tended to go down in price whereas they don't on the Switch...

I used the Moopy link! :disco:

I'm a bit nervous :D:side-eye:

Hurrah! Watch out though, there are two subscription services - PS Plus is for playing online and you get two games per month (you can play them after the month is over, as long as you're still subscribed) and PS Now is the streaming service that gives you access to a library of games, Netflix style. Some of these games can be downloaded but most are streamed, so you have to have a good internet connection (preferably wired) to get the best from it.

Hurrah! Watch out though, there are two subscription services - PS Plus is for playing online and you get two games per month (you can play them after the month is over, as long as you're still subscribed) and PS Now is the streaming service that gives you access to a library of games, Netflix style. Some of these games can be downloaded but most are streamed, so you have to have a good internet connection (preferably wired) to get the best from it.
Yeah I was trying to work out the difference between PS PLUS and PS NOW and couldn't really work it out. PS NOW seemed to be a tool to let you play your old PS3 games on the PS4 (of which I have none of course) but apart from that I didn't really understand nthe difference. Amazon offered PS PLUS as a simple add on so I just went with that.
And be sure to add hamghost as your first ever Playstation friend :disco:
Sure! They sound nice :)

Previous versions of the Playstation were mostly backwards compatible - you could play PS1 games on a PS2, and PS1 and PS2 games on a PS3 (depending on the model) - the PS4 doesn't allow for this, so the closest you can get is streaming PS3 games using PS Now. They don't have the complete library or anything though, sadly :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom