Inside No 9

Well the lighter episode last week was in sharp contrast to this week's misery fest.

I liked the style of the episode and the Vivaldi.

I didn't get the end of it though - the bit where the zoomed in on the shoe in the picture, and the CCTV in the credits.

Well the last episode was the best for a long while... Loved Fiona Shaw and Felicity Kendall in particular. :D Great stuff.

Didn't like the final twist though - totally unnecessary.

I liked the style of the episode and the Vivaldi.

I didn't get the end of it though - the bit where the zoomed in on the shoe in the picture, and the CCTV in the credits.
It was his shoe all along and he'd planted it there. Not sure what he was trying to achieve though, an obsession to divert from his grief?

The week's was great, albeit quite Saw.

Anyone bothered with the new series?

The first one I found clever if a little grating, the second one with the washed-up entertainers utterly predictable, the third one with the removal man brilliant, the fourth with the wedding photographer also excellent and the most recent with the awards jury again utterly predictable but enjoyable.

I hope this runs forever, they work so well as half hour episodes and although I think we're probably guessing the twists more easily now it's still one of the best shows on TV.

I liked every episode, but thought Episode 5 was a little TOO obvious from the beginning. Guessed the twist about 2 minutes in.

Loved the episode with the 10 minutes earlier thing... and the last episode. Also loved the iambic pentameter opener.

So three really excellent episodes, two good and one that was watchable enough. Always worth watching.

I did not guess episode 5 twist at all. The 10 minutes earlier one was brilliant. The last episode was great, but not the best, although the girl was FAF.

I can't believe I fell for it! Should have realised it wouldn't have been straightforward. My mum had never seen the show before and was utterly confused :D

I can't believe you fell for it either! :D In fairness, I watched it on Dailymotion as I'm in America and did think 'oh for fuck's sake, they must have cut some sound so they could get it up on Dailymotion for copyright'... but as soon as it went to continuity announcer I thought 'nah... this is Inside No.9'... :D

I thought the second half was a bit of a mess to be honest and they didn't seem to know what they wanted to do with it, but there were a couple of really scary bits.

The second half was a bit of a mess, but it worked. It was super meta.

"we should have got Pam Ferris"
"no that's Black Mirror"

:D

It took me until the demons appeared in the series 1 episode. But I already had my suspicions.

This definitely lost something being watched on catch up but I still enjoyed it! It really was all over the place in a delicious wtf kind of way.

What, so the technical issue is part of it?! I watched it on iplayer and turned it off when that happened!

Couldn't be arsed to switch over from BBC Four so I watched a random episode of this (the suicide hotline one). How have I never seen it before?! It's so good.

One of my top 5 episodes probably.

Season 5 currently filming.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/l...ffice&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=corporate

With filming underway for the fifth series of the award-winning and critically-acclaimed Inside No. 9, a host of talented actors are set join masterminds Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton as they create six brand new stand-alone stories which promise to bring more exceptionally twisted tales to BBC Two.
The new series follows last year’s live Hallowe’en special Dead Line, which has been cited by The Guardian’s TV reviewers as the best TV episode of 2018. Season five will stay true to the show’s anthology format, with each episode bringing an original story, a cast of new characters and surprising twists in the most unexpected of places. Combining horror, thriller, drama and comedy, Inside No. 9 never fails to amaze, delight, unnerve and amuse in equal measures, with series four treating audiences to an episode written entirely in iambic pentameter and a murder mystery told in reverse chronological order.

As ever, there will be a stellar cast joining Reece and Steve: the line-up includes Maxine Peake (Silk, Three Girls), Jenna Coleman (Doctor Who, Victoria), David Morrissey (The Missing), Dipo Ola (Baghdad Central), Phil Davis (Vera Drake, Whitechapel), Ralf Little (The Royle Family, Two Pints of Lager), Jill Halfpenny (Three Girls, In The Club), Steve Speirs (Star Wars, Upstart Crow), Tom Goodman-Hill (Ideal, Mr Selfridge), Fionn Whitehead (Dunkirk, Black Mirror: Bandersnatch), Kadiff Kirwan (Chewing Gum, Black Mirror: Nosedive), Debbie Rush (Coronation Street) and Ioanna Kimbook (recently cast opposite John Malkovich in the new David Mamet play Bitter Wheat).

Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton say: “We’re delighted to announce a guest cast brimming with both emerging and established talent, all judiciously chosen to make us look a bit classier by association.”

Shane Allen, Controller, BBC Comedy Commissioning, says: “Reece and Steve consistently dazzle and delight with what is undoubtedly the most inventively prolific storytelling series on television. Their ability to subvert and surprise makes each show a unique experience for the viewers. It’s the antidote to a world of familiar cosy TV formats.”

Last year, Reece and Steve won the Writer: Comedy Bafta Award for The Bill (from series three), with series four winning the South Bank Show Award for Comedy. This year, Inside No. 9 scooped up two wins in the Comedy.co.uk Awards, Best Comedy Drama and Comedy of the Year for 2018, following on from the same double win the previous year and breaking records as the first time a show as had a double consecutive win in the award's 13 year history. These awards add to the growing list of wins that include the Writers’ Guild Award for the Best TV Situation Comedy in 2017, the Rose d’Or Television Comedy Award (2016), the RTS Programme Award for Comedy Performance (2015), and two major prizes at the Banff World Media Festival (2014).

One of the six new films in this series will be directed by Steve Pemberton, returning to the role after Cold Comfort and Nana’s Party from the 2015 series. Guillem Morales (Julia’s Eyes, Decline and Fall) returns to direct three further films, with the two remaining films directed by Matt Lipsey (Psychoville, Upstart Crow)

Inside No. 9 is a BBC Studios Comedy Production written by Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton, commissioned by Shane Allen, Controller, BBC Comedy Commissioning and Gregor Sharp, Commissioning Editor for the BBC, executive produced by Jon Plowman (Absolutely Fabulous, W1A), and produced by Adam Tandy (The Thick Of It, Detectori

Loved the first four series but the first two episodes of series 5 have been very disappointing for such a formerly reliable show. The first episode wasn't outrightly terrible but I have zero interest in football, and the second episode with the ghost chose gruesome shock value over any actual great twists.

Loved the first four series but the first two episodes of series 5 have been very disappointing for such a formerly reliable show. The first episode wasn't outrightly terrible but I have zero interest in football, and the second episode with the ghost chose gruesome shock value over any actual great twists.

*Alexis Michelle voice* Well Tamar have you watched the show? As in, Psychoville?

Episode 2 was basically just a new episode of Psychoville slotted in to the Inside No. 9 formula. I loved it for that very reason - you could tell they were doing it for their own love of those characters just as much as everyone else's.

I agree that Episode 1's twist was a bit of a let down, but what it lacked in that it made up for in one liners.

yeah Episode 1 was a miss for me, but I loved Episode 2.

They really did choose quite niche episodes to open the 5th season though - if you didn't like football episode 1 really was lost - the twist didn't work for me because I can't get my head around anyone feeling like that about fucking football and the 2nd episode works a hundred times better if you know the full story of Psychoville from beginning to end.

I think episodes 3, 5 and 6 were the strongest of this season for me (though I know a lot of people loved 4 and lots didn't like 3). For me, Episode 3 felt like watching a Mike Leigh movie in fast forward, Episode 5 like watching Talking Heads and Episode 6 was a lovely piece that was nice to have pretty much just the two main actors in duologue throughout.

Yes 3 and 4 felt back to normal and I loved them! 2 felt more like it should have been a Christmas special?

Yes 3 and 4 felt back to normal and I loved them! 2 felt more like it should have been a Christmas special?

you mean 3? Or 2? I think 3 felt like a Christmas special with it being the big build up to Christmas.

you mean 3? Or 2? I think 3 felt like a Christmas special with it being the big build up to Christmas.

lol no I do mean 2 just because it was so out of the ordinary. Although yes 3 was also Christmassy. They should rename it to THE CHRISTMAS SHOW

FILMING CONCLUDES ON INSIDE NO.9 SERIES SIX - CAST REVEALED
Series Six will air later this year on BBC Two.

d56877_6e7d2706f5cb4b66985d6a2dddf19fd0~mv2.webp

The cast for series six will include Sian Clifford (Fleabag, Quiz), Adrian Dunbar (Line Of Duty), Patterson Joseph (Peep Show, Noughts + Crosses), Lindsay Duncan (A Discovery Of Witches, Black Mirror), Kevin Bishop (Porridge), Nick Mohammed (Intelligence), Sarah Parish (W1A, Atlantis) and Gemma Whelan (The End of the F***ing World, Game Of Thrones, Upstart Crow), with more names set to be confirmed in due course.

Sir Derek Jacobi becomes the first actor to return to Inside No. 9, after providing the voice of Dennis Fulcher in the critically acclaimed series three episode, The Devil Of Christmas.

Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton say: “We started filming in March last year but had to hit pause due to the pandemic. After a nine-month gestation it’s a relief to finally deliver our sixth series to the world. As proud parents we couldn’t possibly choose a favourite, but like any youngest sibling this series is cheeky, funny - and can get away with murder."

Shane Allen, Controller, BBC Comedy Commissioning, says: “Reece and Steve plough yet more fertile genre comedy talent to these modern masterpieces.”

Josh Cole, Head of Comedy, BBC Studios Production, says: “We’re delighted to have concluded filming the sixth season of Inside No. 9. It's a unique series we could not be prouder of, and we are in awe of Reece and Steve’s extraordinary ability to continually raise the bar. Long live Inside No. 9!"

All previous episodes of Inside No. 9 are available to watch now on BBC iPlayer and the broadcast details for series six will be confirmed in due course.

Such brilliant TV.

I don't know why - because there certainly hasn't been a drop in quality in the later seasons (live Halloween episode aside :eyes:) - but the earlier episodes did leave a much larger impact on me and I remember them much more vividly. Perhaps because the show was such a fresh concept back then, whereas now I'm expecting (and getting) brilliance from it.

Anyway, I'm definitely gonna do a re-watch of all five seasons before this new one starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom