Interesting/ annoying things about the UK

The variances in regional accents fascinate me. Not sure if it’s just a Northern British thing but people speak in different accents/name things differently even though they live like ten miles apart :D

You guys say “like” a lot too.

I suppose other plugs are considered attractive.

Don't say butt plugs.

Look at this elegant Scandinavian beauty

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJueHQtZm91bmRhdGlvbi1kdW9saWdodCIsImtleSI6IjQ5ZDJkMDNiNjg4OTVkMDhiOWE4OWUzZjk5ZTE0ZGU2ZGRhN2ZmZmMuanBnIn0=

Do people in other countries have a 'front room', which is basically a living room with all of your good furniture in that you're never allowed to go in except on special occasions? That's always struck me as a uniquely British, working class thing.
How can it be working class to have a whole spare room that's only for special occasions?!

Do people in other countries have a 'front room', which is basically a living room with all of your good furniture in that you're never allowed to go in except on special occasions? That's always struck me as a uniquely British, working class thing.

That was quite standard in Iraq.

The variances in regional accents fascinate me. Not sure if it’s just a Northern British thing but people speak in different accents/name things differently even though they live like ten miles apart :D

You guys say “like” a lot too.
I'm on a dialect border. You can hear Suffolk farmer chat and a hard Essex accent within the same sentence.

I visited a friend in Yorkshire and NOT ONLY did he have a front room they never used as described, they also DIDN'T USE THE FRONT DOOR? Like, that was for FANCY GUESTS?!

I visited a friend in Yorkshire and NOT ONLY did he have a front room they never used as described, they also DIDN'T USE THE FRONT DOOR? Like, that was for FANCY GUESTS?!
My grandparents are like that! They NEVER use the front door, only the side door in the kitchen or the conservatory one, even GUESTS don’t walk through it! :D

Another odd thing, and this might apply to more countries than the UK is that you seem to only eat sandwiches for lunch when you work. Or is that not true?
If we're eating at our desk in the office we tend to have cold food, but that could be salads too. Is that what you meant?

Or did you mean we don't eat sandwiches UNLESS it's a work lunch?

I love weights in stones. it seems so arbitrary and unnecessarily cumbersome

I've been to markets in other countries but I've never heard any of the vendors doing that fruit and veg shouting like they do at ours. I'm sure people would be interested in a punnet of strawberries for £1 if they actually SAID that, rather than 'PRNDRR STROOOOB ERRRNLER PRRRRRN'.

As this is also about interesting things, I LOVE that in many supermarkets you can find almost any brand or flavour of anything. Sometimes it's too much, as you have 200 options for cereals and you just don't know where to start, but we don't have here things like banana jam and lots of things that I would love to taste.

The spare room in our firmly middle class house was the STUDY, where the computers lived.

My dad (middle class in the British definition) calls his home office his study

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom