Interesting/ annoying things about the UK

From what I’ve encountered, Swedish people are very polite without going overboard. There’s still a bit of that stand-offishness that we should all aspire to.

Very much so; polite but reserved. Your personal space (both physically and mentally) is somehow more valued than your need for confirmation and reassurances from your surrounding.

Very much so; polite but reserved. Your personal space (both physically and mentally) is somehow more valued than your need for confirmation and reassurances from your surrounding.
I can understand how it came about more on a crowded island than in Sweden. Maybe it's something to do with the weather always being shit as well

I think it was the variation of bus where you exited in front of the driver versus the middle of the bus away from the driver's view.

See this would never be allowed in an orderly, modern city like Stockholm.

Never thanked a bus driver until some of my more polite school friends did it. These days we all get off in the centre of the bus anyway. I only thank now if it’s a relatively empty bus, but if you’re getting off :ken: with 10+ other people at rush hour, no.

In fact we should add AN OFF-KILTER OBSESSION with TRAINS and BUSES to the "Interesting things about the UK" list.

EVIDENCE #1:

s-l500.jpg

See this would never be allowed in an orderly, modern city like Stockholm.

I learned that from an early age when we had just moved here and my father asked the bus driver to stop somewhere between two stops (because it was closer to where we were going) and the driver said ”No, we don’t do this here.” I was so mortified. :(

All Aboard! the country bus was the best television this nation has ever produced

I can understand how it came about more on a crowded island than in Sweden. Maybe it's something to do with the weather always being shit as well

I think it could originate from being a very trustworthy society; you don’t need to smile and reassure someone that you’re not going to do them harm.

Someone CLOSE TO ME with whom I may or may not have committed to SPEND MY LIFE WITH occasionally goes on BUS RIDES around South London just FOR THE THRILL OF IT.
Of course. Sitting at the front of the top of a double decker is a wonderful way to explore. It was also a great way to spin new PokeStops on Pokémon Go.

I remember seeing an old couple climb onto the top deck of a bus and excitedly grab the front window seat. It never gets boring however old you get.
My absolute favourite moment when living in London was when I was sat on the front seat of the DLR, and then someone came over, sat next to me, then switched it to manual mode and drove the train! I was essentially the co-pilot and it was so hard not to show my childish joy on my face.

I remember last year reading a tweet from a Swedish person who wasn’t bothered by social distancing because, if anything, two metres was a bit closer than he’s used to.

The first time I went to Stockholm a bus blew up near the train station. Luckily, things were much more orderly on my second trip.

:D!

That happened fairly recently, about one-two years ago, no? Some of these new buses have their fuel deposit on top, they’re ”eco” buses of some sort.

reserved meaning passive-aggressive

My absolute favourite moment when living in London was when I was sat on the front seat of the DLR, and then someone came over, sat next to me, then switched it to manual mode and drove the train! I was essentially the co-pilot and it was so hard not to show my childish joy on my face.
Oh god the DLR is :disco: UNENDING

DLR fans may be SADDENED to know that due to Coronavirus restrictions the driver seats at both ends of the train have been blocked from the public so you can't sit there and FILL YOUR BOOTS anymore :(

:D!

That happened fairly recently, about one-two years ago, no? Some of these new buses have their fuel deposit on top, they’re ”eco” buses of some sort.
Yep, 2019. It struck a bridge and exploded. Everything was back to normal about twenty minutes later, over here we’d have been wrapped in foil and handing out tea for a week solid.

Yep, 2019. It struck a bridge and exploded. Everything was back to normal about twenty minutes later, over here we’d have been wrapped in foil and handing out tea for a week solid.

Well, it wasn’t really over at the HQ. I know some of my colleagues (from the traffic security department) still working on it.

Speaking of thanking the bus driver it's always amusing to me when the pilot STANDS AT THE FRONT so everyone is forced to thank him as they deboard. :D :disco: Especially if you've done a red eye and look like Steve Buscemi.

Not to turn this topic into something completely different, but the most horrifying examples of public transport accidents in my ”orderly” city happened in 2013 when a local train crashed into a residental building in the middle of the night.

All this happened while the poor cleaner was cleaning the driver cabin and accidently started the train, drove from depot to neighbouring end station and into the building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom