Ireland 2021: Lesley Roy - Maps

I know different productions are handling filming things differently at the moment and all that, but the absolute LACK of any piped-in applause at the end :D

They should have binned that dreary lot and allowed the Irish Kelly Llorenna to belt out a HITZ MEDLEY.

Im still not ready to say anything positive about Ireland

enhanced-26298-1432220843-2.jpg
Ian Paisley after arriving in Hell and finding out the Catholic version was right the whole time

Who were they, Monsters Inc?
I’m guessing that they are the past and future winners of Ireland (who aren’t busy)?

it might have been better to do an Irish winner medley, at least that hasn’t been done to death like the deep cuts they chose!

I listened to this about ten times in a row when it first appeared and thought it was really good but I have to say that that I couldn’t ‘um it now if you gave me £5 and a kilo of Frazzles

Anyway she’ll ruin it all by grimacing and looking frightening in the semi and yes I give you SAME HEART as a comparison point

Last edited:
I keep coming back to this and have decided that it has a lot of heart and low-key I want this to qualify above almost all the others. It’s not my favourite, but Lesley Roy seems like such a nice person committed to the Eurovision experience that I’d be gutted for her in a way akin to Anna Bergendahl if she doesn’t get to the main stage. And my initial prediction that she doesn’t may well be wrong because this seems like the only song of its type?

Yeah, I want her to qualify even for non-patriotic reasons. The fact that she's got the Heroes/Dandi dansa/Every Minute staging team bodes well too...

Her overly breathy vocal continues to bother me but once you get past the fact that she's GASPING FOR AIR* after every other word, it's a pretty good song.

*Maybe Sam TEEN told her "Still Breathing" is all that matters.

Reactions: dUb
To be fair to her the camera broke just before her performance, which is what caused the delay and won't have helped her nerves.

Sadly she hadn't had a great track record with live vocals for this song EVER.

The concept was MESSY. Just one of those screens would have been enough. And NOT the gynaecologist shot.

How can you possibly say the performance concept wasn't the issue? :D The entire performance would have been DOOMED whoever sung it, because of the concept - it was an over-thought, unclear MESS that just didn't translate. Never mind the BIG REVEAL which felt more like the aftermath of a Blue Peter craft session than a grand look behind the magicians curtain.

I do applaud Ireland for ambition and for TRYING though, it's just unfortunate that this particular concept was a bust.

I have the same issue with Leslie as I have with James Newman. She's just not an engaging performer, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about that. No stage concept would have possibly saved her. Never mind that she isn't the greatest singer either. She should never have been selected in the first place.

Perhaps some toned -down elements of the performance, with a youthful male performer who could sing and work a stage might have possibly worked, but there was just so much wrong here I could write a thesis on it. Who was meant to even vote for this aside from Irish diaspora? :D

Reactions: dUb
How can you possibly say the performance concept wasn't the issue? :D

I have the same issue with Leslie as I have with James Newman. She's just not an engaging performer, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about that. No stage concept would have possibly saved her.
The same way you managed? :basil:

I mean the fact she COULDN'T SING IT is really the very first thing you'd probably look to considering it was memorable staging!

I'd have much rather she'd just stood there strumming a guitar and donned an Avril Lavigne skinny tie, straight hair and eye makeup. The staging was ambitious and while quite enjoyable I don't understand why it was all WHITE AND GREY.

The same way you managed? :basil:

I mean the fact she COULDN'T SING IT is really the very first thing you'd probably look to considering it was memorable staging!

The staging would have sunk literally anybody. You could have stuck Eleni Foureira in the gynaecologist chair and she'd still have flopped out trying to hit all those camera marks and navigate the CREPE PAPER TWIZZLERS.

Never mind the staging x non-engaging performer + nocals = A MESS!

If I'd pick out an issue with the staging - I'd say I didn't really understand what it was all for. What was the point of it all supposed to be? What was her journey? Goes through all of it and then....it stops being scrapbooky and she runs across the catwalk? Why?

What cheap staging, and she sounds like a 40 a day smoker with asthma. I take it she didn’t qualify??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom