• Total voters

dUb

AH AH AH
Pronouns
He/Him

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang in there @dUb
defc59b46e1a887441d7649ed509d23af473ebce.gifv

I'm still haunted by the time in 2014 when I tuned into some Irish radio station to hear the premier of their national selection entries and they were playing Rather Be by Clean Bandit. It was a new song at the time and I hadn't heard it, so I thought "Wow, Ireland are really bringing it this year!" :(

I’m going to predict a pivot into some boring Ed Sheeran knock-off.

First one now: Rachel Goode - I'm Loving Me

Yeah, this is a complete dud. Hope he doesn't win on name recognition.

REDACTED 🥴

Last edited:
REDACTED 🥴

Last edited:
REDACTED 🥴

Last edited:
They interviewed the Irish HoD, who seemed quite resistant to sending anything too Irish.

"It's an international pop contest, we need something that'd be played on the radio all over Europe"

Fair enough, but much as I enjoy Rachel's song, these two that we've heard so far ain't it.

For years we complained that Ireland leaned too heavily into panpipes and green dresses, but you would think they could strike a bit more of a balance in terms of showcasing local talent. It's not like Ireland is in short supply.

We'll see how the next four sound I guess. We get one per day from Tuesday to Friday.

I agree with not sending something that sounds IRISH!!! Irish but I think something that links into an aspect of people’s perception of Ireland is the way to go, musicianship for example. As much as it’s not my thing, *person with instrument* could feel authentically Irish in a way that might connect across the continent. Obviously as long as the song is good enough. I’d advise against trying to compete with the big pop bangers. 🥴

They interviewed the Irish HoD, who seemed quite resistant to sending anything too Irish.

"It's an international pop contest, we need something that'd be played on the radio all over Europe"
This feels like someone's taken the complete wrong lesson from last year if anything tbh!

Honestly, they should really aim for something that replicates the vibe/energy of B*Witched - C'est la vie. Going for something in that vein would be actual *manna* for the Irish - just send something unselfconsciously fun ffs!

Reactions: VoR
As well as Tuam-based Brendan, RTÉ sources reveal another figure in contention is Dublin crooner Janet Grogan, who was featured in auditions for the X Factor and recently starred in TV's Last Singer Standing.

The winner of that same RTÉ talent show, Corkman Patrick O'Sullivan, is also said to be by insiders to be among those being considered for the final five.

A dark horse is soul singer Mile Graham, who hails from Clondalkin in Dublin and relocated several years ago to Sligo.

The selection panel is also set to throw a curve ball with a mystery Scandinavian artist being mooted, with the song being written by an Irish person.

I love how the last 5 seconds of that lyric video presents Rachel's face as some kind of BIG REVEAL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom