Is it okay to still listen to Michael Jackson?

I don't know if any of you follow Fesshole on Twitter - basically, anonymous confessions, run by Rob Manuel from b3ta - but just yesterday they had someone wringing their hands over the fact that they were still listening to Lostprophets. The responses were very Twitter: a few people saying that they couldn't listen to them any more, a few people saying that as long as you're listening to CDs rather than streaming, he's not earning anything so knock yrself out and a whole bunch of people calling the confessor a nonce.

I have more of a problem with Woody Allen than with Roman Polanski. Polanski admitted to a crime and then flew to evade justice when the judge tried to get him a much harsher sentence by throwing out Samantha Geimer's plea bargain AGAINST HER WILL. Whether you think evading justice is right or wrong, that's always been his defense line to justify his fleeing. It's not like he's pretending he didn't do anything. He has apologised to Samantha and in the 80s he paid her a settlement for millions.
OOH! He apologised and paid her money, it’s fine then :side-eye::manson:

I still cannot comprehend for the life of me why ANYONE gives a fuck what ANYONE on Twitter thinks about ANYTHING AT ALL

that place is a total hell hole which should immediately be DELETED. so many stupid people being given a platform to air their stupid opinions, and a few smart people fighting to be heard but ultimately wasting their time with all the nutjobs. Bin it!

OOH! He apologised and paid her money, it’s fine then :side-eye::manson:

I never said what he did was fine, I'm not defending him or his actions. But Polanski has admitted what he did was wrong. I have less of a problem with a guy who admits his guilt and evades justice for fear of unfair imprisonment than with a creep that has never been convicted but has had a lifetime of 'so whats' to his absolutely lecherous attitude to women including his own daughter and his girlfriend's daughter.

Polanski has tried to make amends for what he did. Whether they are the RIGHT amends is a completely legit question and since technically yes, he's evaded justice and hasn't gone through the appropriate channels to do so, for many people they are not. But he's never disputed that what he did was right or that he didn't do it. His objection is to a judicial decision that changed his verdict from probation (which is what the probation officer, the psychiatrist in the trial AND crucially Samantha's lawyer argued for) to a possible 50-year prison sentence.

To anyone interested in the Polanski case, I wholeheartedly recommend reading "The Girl" by Samantha Geimer which is her account of the whole ordeal and the repercussions in her life. She is a very inspiring, smart and strong woman who has refused to play the victim for over 40 years and has actually reached out to many rape survivors once their stories have gone public.

I have a problem with rich white men deciding what’s right or wrong. Also deciding the price to pay (literally money) to get out of shit like this.

I think whether or not she has forgiven him and thinks he should be allowed back in the country is entirely irrelevant. Great for her that she's able to practice forgiveness in such an inspiring way but that's not how the law works. He did the crime and has to do the time. Paying a settlement and making an apology is literally not relevant.

I have a problem with rich white men deciding what’s right or wrong. Also deciding the price to pay (literally money) to get out of shit like this.

Yes because if you want to see how much better it works when it’s rich non-white men who gets to decide what’s right or wrong you only need to look at the Middle East and Africa. :eyes:

I think whether or not she has forgiven him and thinks he should be allowed back in the country is entirely irrelevant. Great for her that she's able to practice forgiveness in such an inspiring way but that's not how the law works. He did the crime and has to do the time. Paying a settlement and making an apology is literally not relevant.

Does "the law" say that if the victim states that she doesn't want to testify and agrees to a plea bargain the judge can then go and ask her to relive the ordeal against her will? Because that is not the law, that is the interpretation of one judge and many (including Samantha) have argued it is the wrong interpretation.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that justice and morality do not necessarily go hand in hand. We see examples everyday of people doing things that the justice system finds no issue with but we may find them very objectionable (like the Woody Allen case), while at the same time we see many wrongful or excessive convictions because the interpretation of the law isn't fair, because the system is biased or because the law has not caught up with the reality of the situation.

On a purely PHILOSOPHICAL level (and again I reiterate I am not condoning Polanski, I just happen to find his case fascinating), I personally think I'd rather justice was served "for the victim" rather than "for society" or "because that's the law", because the latter two justifications are far more open to interpretation or obtaining a result that doesn't serve real justice for the person affronted.

so much of it is arbitrary - the age of consent differs from one country to another and you can get a harsher or lighter conviction because of who you are...

Quite puzzled that this thread and the Alexandra Burke pile-on are happening simultaneously.

Moopy’s moral core here seems to be that if you’re a massive paedo but your music is good, you’re fine. If you’re a homophobe we’ll leave you alone, but we’ll cancel the shit out of the first woman who dares collaborate with you.

:D valid point!

The main difference being that one is alive and releasing new music, the other one is dead and his music was part of our lives before he was accused of anything... but I see your point.

Are we sure it's the same posters? :eyes:

:D

LOOK LOVES :kim:

I've not cancelled Alexandra Burke AT ALL. In fact to the contrary all I've done is ask that she gives us a solo version of the song so I can enjoy it too? I still wish her well.

As for the Jacko thing, hopefully you can tell from my original post that I was torn. On reflection, I do realise the hypocrisy of it all, and so it's only ETHICAL MUSIC for me from now on. :enya:

i'm not (very) familiar with the work of lady burke however, i did think it would be rather amusing if there were a citrus perspective to this conversation! can you imagine such a thing?

I'M STILL EATING NUTELLA THOUGH

the wrongest answer of them all :D

(though obviously most times you should have a jar in the fridge in case of pancake-related emergencies)

Quite puzzled that this thread and the Alexandra Burke pile-on are happening simultaneously.

Moopy’s moral core here seems to be that if you’re a massive paedo but your music is good, you’re fine. If you’re a homophobe we’ll leave you alone, but we’ll cancel the shit out of the first woman who dares collaborate with you.
I believe I remain consistent.

i'm not (very) familiar with the work of lady burke however, i did think it would be rather amusing if there were a citrus perspective to this conversation! can you imagine such a thing?
Please send a sample of your current weed supply.

it's good, truly. hadn't done for a while but it appears to be just like riding a bicycle!

I have a question about In the closet. Calling @Ellie as the biggest fan around.

When was it revealed that mistery girl was Stéphanie de Monaco? I remember everyone assuming it was Madonna at first, and even when the (third) single was released months later still says "duet with mistery girl", with Naomi recording new vocals for the video. So when was revealed? I only found out reading about it in a Billboard book years later.

lol Ellie is not gonna open this thread to see what she's been tagged about

Remember when he sang a "tribute" song to Elizabeth Taylor and the lyrics were all about how awful her life had been. :D

• Haha
Reactions: GNL
Hiya

Just came here to apologise for my younger self

I no longer listen to MJ or Alexandra Burke for that matter :eyes:

Speak soon x

LOVING the translator here who only translated every third phrase or so, much to the bewilderment of the audience. :disco:

"His heart was so big that none of us could possibly imagine the thought, that he thought, every single day..." "Er dachte... alles." :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom