Is Judas due a re-appraisal?

How do you feel about Judas in the year of LG 2020?

• Total voters
I like it a lot! Yes it's a 'Bad Romance' rewrite but who cares.

I'm just a holy fool
(JUST a HOLY FOAAAOWOWOWOAOAAAAWWWWL!L!!!!)

:disco:

Anyone who was thrown off the loon bandwagon by Born This Way just wasn't strong enough to hold on.
True.

Now they are scrambling to re-board the Born Brave Bus but this time social distancing is in effect and there are no spaces left available :disco: Maybe Gwen Stefani's racially-insensitive tuk-tuk will pick them up in a few hours.

I love every stupid second of this song, but agree with everything said - it was the first Gaga by numbers approach as a single, although I think even that's unfair. There is at least a theme running through it lyrically and with the video. If that's generic Gaga then it still did, and does, shit upon most big popstar songs in terms of sheer effort and extravagance.

I think she was so over exposed at this point that, unless she dropped another perfect crowd pleasing smash, people weren't having any of it and grew tired of her antics. The expectation was almost too much, partly because the bar she'd raised was so high and also with the Born This Way single being so divisive. Everyone wanted the follow up to be perfect, which meant of course nothing ever would or could be.

The song is glorious pop, but if I have any problem it's the transition between verse and chorus. It's so CLUNKY and doesn't flow at all, like there's a bit missing. Other than that, I still love it to this day, probably more so because it's a "forgotten" Gaga single.

I think "borderline career killer" is a tad absurd given the peak she was at at the time. The only way was DOWN no matter what she released, unless again it was another 10/10 classic and who can sustain that? Despite Born This Way being one of her most famous songs arguably it started the decline rather than Judas.

Judas came before the album right? Didn't stop it selling shitloads out of the gate, so saving Edge of Glory was probably wise. As my favourite Gaga album, I'm still not sure anything would have been the ideal second single (I'd have said Marry the Night or Bloody Mary but really, would it have been any different?). Poor Judas gets a lot of flack, her trajectory would almost certainly have been the same regardless.

Context and timing is everything. In the context of Chromatica, everyone seems to hark back to Born This Way as her "Imperial Era", when to me - at the time - it seemed like the wheels were falling off. But these days, Born This Way and The Edge of Glory are probably two of the songs the general public most remember, associate with her, and see as her "pop" classics - along with Bad Romance, Poker Face and Telephone.

Selling the album for £1/$1 in the first week also helped
The album would have sold regardless. Out of 1m+ sold in the US, I think 400k maximum came from those cheap Amazon sales. She would have opened at 600-700k that week anyway, just based on the hype and the momentum she had going into the era.

The album would have sold regardless. Out of 1m+ sold in the US, I think 400k maximum came from those cheap Amazon sales. She would have opened at 600-700k that week anyway, just based on the hype and the momentum she had going into the era.

I'm impressed by your dedication in interviewing over a million people to determine this Lou :o

I forgot about the practically giving it away fiasco, but yeah, even without she surely would have sold loads. And as this is about "Judas", it feels like the scapegoat for a decline. No matter which you order the "Born This Way" era, we still would have ended up with "Artpop" (and thank ye gods for that :disco:)

Why DID they practically give it away? The possible reasons I can think of are a fear of it not selling; wanting massive numbers to show how massive she was; or thinking they could make more cash selling more copies for less

They didn't actually take any loss on the 440k copies sold for a dollar each. Amazon subsidized it, it wasn't a label-driven initiative.

In theory it is rubbish - the 'Jud-ah jud-ah' bits were such a Bad Romance re-tread that I'm surprised she had the gall to do it.

However, that chorus is STEPS to a tee and being me I think that is the absolute tits :disco:

They didn't actually take any loss on the 440k copies sold for a dollar each. Amazon subsidized it, it wasn't a label-driven initiative.
Pretty sure it sold an extra 2 million copies on top of that at the traditional price , so still a success (even if a bit front loaded)

Which Steps song is this meant to sound like? :D I don't quite hear it myself, although I must admit I only really revisit One For Sorrow (:disco:) with any kind of regularity.

I will also not tolerate the SLANDER against Marry The Night woven through this thread. It's an absolute Gaga classic for me, and deserved so much more than fifth single.

The section of:

"Come on and ruuuuuuuuuuuun
Turn the car on and ruuuuuuuuuuuuuun

I'm gonna marry the night
I'm gonna burn a hole in the road"

is one of the absolute best in her entire back-cat :disco:

Sorry but can this thread please be moved to the Christianity forum?

She0s a right bitch for leaving it out of the Chromatica Ball Tour (which was also amazing)

It's all about the far superior BLOODY MARY and that medeival (art) pop uberdramatic masterpiece. The mood, the Satanic GAH-GAH and her wailings from the depths of HELLS at the song closure for me.

and the " Je veux pas mourir toute seule"...
:disco: :disco: :disco: overload
obsessed with this post. yes to everything. Bloody Mary is a fucking TEN. there's something so sleek and futuristic about those "satanic wailings" that really hits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom