It’s Saturday GIRLS, say AMEN

Have you tried Bideford, @Rachey? That's a bigger town (by Devon standards, at least) but I remember it being quite attractive on the estuary, although I seem to remember it being a bit more river estuary than seaside like.
I LOVE Bideford. I used to stay there as a child all the time. But there's still not a huge amount there. Though there is a nice chip shop! It is on an estuary. Very pretty. I think you can get the boat to Lundy island from there. When it's running.

When I mentioned last year about moving to the Devon coast, we'd already decided that the south coast was more likely than the north coast, if only due to it being better connected if you don't have a car. I know that's it's all well and good deciding that somewhere like that would be a beautiful place to live in summer, but that you need to visit it in rainy winter to get another perspective. I think key really is finding somewhere that has enough of its own character and operates as a fully functioning place outside of tourist season.

I've got a friend who moved to Teignmouth about 5 years ago and she loves it - and she's lived in Bristol or London her whole life. I do feel particularly drawn by that stretch of coast between Torquay and the Exe estuary. And you have Exeter on your doorstep. North Devon is just a lot more remote, and getting from north to south isn't easy due to having to navigate Dartmoor.

When I mentioned last year about moving to the Devon coast, we'd already decided that the south coast was more likely than the north coast, if only due to it being better connected if you don't have a car. I know that's it's all well and good deciding that somewhere like that would be a beautiful place to live in summer, but that you need to visit it in rainy winter to get another perspective. I think key really is finding somewhere that has enough of its own character and operates as a fully functioning place outside of tourist season.

I've got a friend who moved to Teignmouth about 5 years ago and she loves it - and she's lived in Bristol or London her whole life. I do feel particularly drawn by that stretch of coast between Torquay and the Exe estuary. And you have Exeter on your doorstep. North Devon is just a lot more remote, and getting from north to south isn't easy due to having to navigate Dartmoor.
Yeah we always said living in North Devon would be amazing, but actually I think we would struggle. I think Cornwall is very similar.

What about Dorset?

Yeah we always said living in North Devon would be amazing, but actually I think we would struggle. I think Cornwall is very similar.

What about Dorset?
I reckon Cornwall is probably even worse. And you're further away from everything.

I do like Dorset as well, particularly the Jurassic Coast. But the resort towns are all quite small, aren't they? I guess Weymouth is a decent size, but I've never really considered living there.

I reckon Cornwall is probably even worse. And you're further away from everything.

I do like Dorset as well, particularly the Jurassic Coast. But the resort towns are all quite small, aren't they? I guess Weymouth is a decent size, but I've never really considered living there.
Yeah they are fairly small but we always found things to be more open than in Devon. Dorchester is quite nice, and you have Poole, Bournemouth etc.

I don't really want to go as far east as Bournemouth. And I certainly don't imagine myself living there, as much as I quite like a visit.

I actually really disliked Bournemouth when we visited.

We are staying near Axminster next week. I'll let you know what that's like!

Not sure I know it. I definitely want walking distance to the coast, though.
It’s not, I was just kidding - it’s on the A377 but way down towards Exeter, but has a great gastro pub there and at Newton St Cyres.

I've been there, no real memories, though. Dorchester is certainly very nice.

What did you dislike about it? We always love it when we visit, but then anything that's not a concrete high rise is different for us!

What did you dislike about it? We always love it when we visit, but then anything that's not a concrete high rise is different for us!
We went early September and it was absolutely heaving. We went into the town which I found was very run down, but like I said I'm not a big town person.

I think it was just too busy for me.

My ex was from Dorchester and I used to love going down there. Don’t miss the cider museum :disco:

There used to be the best breakfast cafe in Dorchester. Long tables where you all sit anywhere, help yourself to toast and eggs and then there was homemade butter, jam and peanut butter on the table. You all shared it.

A germaphobes nightmare really. But the peanut butter was so good.

I keep seeing videos of food from Eggslut. Im so sad we don't have one of these :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom