Italy 2021: Måneskin - Zitti e buoni + Global Domination

FetchFugly

closing in again
"Slave" is appearing on the latest Now compilation. Don't know how big they are these days but it being chosen is surely indicative of its success and reach outside of Eurovision.

They were right to snap it up being an actual top ten hit which Now always like to tout and are thin on the ground these days. The second disc is usually heavy on pleasant Radio 2 playlist favourites but non-chart smashes.

THREE UK smash hits!

Are ONLINE QUEENS really still trying to push that narrative that they weren't a good winner for the contest? :D
I don't think the youth could have a BETTER GATEWAY DRUG quite frankly, and their win is already feeling like a CAREER FOOTNOTE*

*short-term ONLY!

Last edited:

PercyPig

The Last of Us
Were Maneskin about to take off anyway? Is there any sign of that? Especially as the song that’s doing well isn’t the the winning song.

I must confess that whilst I love THEM, and am thrilled for their success....I cannot STAND their version of Beggin' AT ALL and I absolutely do not want to hear it ever again.

It sounds like a future wedding party staple. File alongside Dancing In The Moonlight :argh:

I think Slave is fine for what it is...and I'm happy for this generation of kids to have their own throwaway singalong bit of indie trash :D

I wouldn't choose to listen to it voluntarily :eyes: but if it's success allows him to rock up on TV shows across the continent looking as fabulous as THIS I'm all for it! :D

(He wore a better outfit on French TV but the video won't pull through onto here :argh:)

Diddy

Rice Queen
It does make me wonder how Eurovision actually figures into this any more. At the time is felt like it had produced a big hit, but Zits & Boners seems to have been retired almost immediately.

I mean from the band’s point of view it makes a lot more commercial sense to push the English song. But I’m left wondering what role Eurovision really had in the end

Soldi

Super Moderator
It does make me wonder how Eurovision actually figures into this any more. At the time is felt like it had produced a big hit, but Zits & Boners seems to have been retired almost immediately.

I mean from the band’s point of view it makes a lot more commercial sense to push the English song. But I’m left wondering what role Eurovision really had in the end
Well, they wouldn’t have been charting all over Europe with any song had they not won?

lolly

Rowena? From Kuwait?
One part of my brain says no of course not

but where is that song a month later?
We're dealing with modern attention spans. I agree that the winning song seems almost already forgotten, but Eurovision was at the very least a huge launchpad and they would almost certainly be little known outside Italy at all without it. The stars have clearly aligned for them and I'm sure that a significant part of their audience now doesn't even know they won Eurovision. But for the contest going forward, I'm not sure it matters at all.

ZZ

User
As hot as the lead singer is, I can’t listen to any song that the singer sounds pissed off as hell singing it.
So, they are a big no for me overall but good on them for having such huge success everywhere.

lolly

Rowena? From Kuwait?
They are currently #3, #6 and #47 on global iTunes (as well as the #2 act), and #2, #8 and #32 on global Spotify.

It doesn't matter if a significant proportion of the audience don't know they won Eurovision (or even what the contest is). The fact that the contest has managed to launch that will have been noticed.

ZZ

User
They are currently #3, #6 and #47 on global iTunes (as well as the #2 act), and #2, #8 and #32 on global Spotify.

It doesn't matter if a significant proportion of the audience don't know they won Eurovision (or even what the contest is). The fact that the contest has managed to launch that will have been noticed.
But I think the same is true about ABBA.
The majority of people have no idea that Eurovision was what launched their career.

lolly

Rowena? From Kuwait?
But I think the same is true about ABBA.
The majority of people have no idea that Eurovision was what launched their career.
I'm not sure that's true in the UK at least. But it's only a good sign for Måneskin, anyway!

ZZ

User
I'm not sure that's true in the UK at least. But it's only a good sign for Måneskin, anyway!
Perhaps not in the UK.
But people all over the world who know of ABBA, have absolutely no idea what Eurovision is.

They absolutely would have never won San Remo (or even have been able to ENTER) with a song that wasn't in Italian, hence it taking them to Eurovision.
Post-Eurovision it just makes complete sense to run with the song that's more accessible and is showing clear crossover potential. I really don't think it's much deeper than that tbh.

If anything, they are lucky (or very well prepared) to have Slave waiting in their back pocket.

lolly

Rowena? From Kuwait?
Perhaps not in the UK.
But people all over the world who know of ABBA, have absolutely no idea what Eurovision is.
And that's the best example of it not mattering one jot, like I said.

Alla

Beast in Black
You can tell Europe got the right winner for once, I can't imagine any other artist from this year having the instant massive success of the Italians. I wonder if @Suomi already accepted the result. :eyes:

Pingu

Noot noot
It’s difficult to say really how much Eurovision had to do with Celine’s success. Certainly unlike ABBA it is just a small chapter in her early career.

But with Måneskin I think surely it’s IMPOSSIBLE to argue that the Eurovision connection is just a lucky coincidence when they went from being unknown outside Italy on the Friday to huge everywhere on the Sunday!

Penelope

striking, unique, 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘦𝘳

.....giving them a push at ALL in the first place they could use to promote other material!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom