Italy 2021: Måneskin - Zitti e buoni + Global Domination

Love this (and Scott Mills) for pointing out that potential fact. The rest of them at Radio 1 will need a lie down, a cool flannel, and a Drill playlist.

BBC Chart and Eurovision expert Scott Mills said there’s a chance Måneskin could be the first Eurovision winner to reach number one since Gina G.
As usual, talking out of his arse given Ed Sheeran just released his new single today which is going to storm straight to the top of the chart and likely stay there for weeks

Are they getting any radio airplay in UK? I guess little or none, right?
It doesn’t seem to be too 40 in the airplay chart. But the entire chart seems pretty disconnected from what’s actually popular (Diana Ross and Keith Urban are top 20?) so it isn’t a great indicator

It doesn’t seem to be too 40 in the airplay chart. But the entire chart seems pretty disconnected from what’s actually popular (Diana Ross and Keith Urban are top 20?) so it isn’t a great indicator
Our airplay charts are weighted based on the number of listeners that the station gets. Diana Ross and Keith Urban get played by Radio 2, which gets the most listeners, so they get higher positions than they would otherwise.

Reactions: RJN
It's possible that it's not actually been serviced to radio so it's not getting mass exposure. Apparently SLAVE has been played a couple of times on R1s night-time indie show

"Slave" is appearing on the latest Now compilation. Don't know how big they are these days but it being chosen is surely indicative of its success and reach outside of Eurovision.

They were right to snap it up being an actual top ten hit which Now always like to tout and are thin on the ground these days. The second disc is usually heavy on pleasant Radio 2 playlist favourites but non-chart smashes.

Beggin is now top 20 on us Spotify. And Slave is top 100

Happy Friday to Moopy’s PISS QUEENS only.

D254BB45-C7F2-4DC1-B118-BBEDA8BDD61D.jpeg

In Ireland it’s Beggin’ at #3, Slave at #4

THREE UK smash hits!

Are ONLINE QUEENS really still trying to push that narrative that they weren't a good winner for the contest? :D
I don't think the youth could have a BETTER GATEWAY DRUG quite frankly, and their win is already feeling like a CAREER FOOTNOTE*

*short-term ONLY!

Last edited:
Were Maneskin about to take off anyway? Is there any sign of that? Especially as the song that’s doing well isn’t the the winning song.

I must confess that whilst I love THEM, and am thrilled for their success....I cannot STAND their version of Beggin' AT ALL and I absolutely do not want to hear it ever again.

It sounds like a future wedding party staple. File alongside Dancing In The Moonlight :argh:

I think Slave is fine for what it is...and I'm happy for this generation of kids to have their own throwaway singalong bit of indie trash :D

I wouldn't choose to listen to it voluntarily :eyes: but if it's success allows him to rock up on TV shows across the continent looking as fabulous as THIS I'm all for it! :D

(He wore a better outfit on French TV but the video won't pull through onto here :argh:)

It does make me wonder how Eurovision actually figures into this any more. At the time is felt like it had produced a big hit, but Zits & Boners seems to have been retired almost immediately.

I mean from the band’s point of view it makes a lot more commercial sense to push the English song. But I’m left wondering what role Eurovision really had in the end

I have a lot of time for "Slave" - "Begging" is terrible though.

It does make me wonder how Eurovision actually figures into this any more. At the time is felt like it had produced a big hit, but Zits & Boners seems to have been retired almost immediately.

I mean from the band’s point of view it makes a lot more commercial sense to push the English song. But I’m left wondering what role Eurovision really had in the end
Well, they wouldn’t have been charting all over Europe with any song had they not won?

One part of my brain says no of course not

but where is that song a month later?
We're dealing with modern attention spans. I agree that the winning song seems almost already forgotten, but Eurovision was at the very least a huge launchpad and they would almost certainly be little known outside Italy at all without it. The stars have clearly aligned for them and I'm sure that a significant part of their audience now doesn't even know they won Eurovision. But for the contest going forward, I'm not sure it matters at all.

As hot as the lead singer is, I can’t listen to any song that the singer sounds pissed off as hell singing it.
So, they are a big no for me overall but good on them for having such huge success everywhere.

They are currently #3, #6 and #47 on global iTunes (as well as the #2 act), and #2, #8 and #32 on global Spotify.

It doesn't matter if a significant proportion of the audience don't know they won Eurovision (or even what the contest is). The fact that the contest has managed to launch that will have been noticed.

They are currently #3, #6 and #47 on global iTunes (as well as the #2 act), and #2, #8 and #32 on global Spotify.

It doesn't matter if a significant proportion of the audience don't know they won Eurovision (or even what the contest is). The fact that the contest has managed to launch that will have been noticed.
But I think the same is true about ABBA.
The majority of people have no idea that Eurovision was what launched their career.

But I think the same is true about ABBA.
The majority of people have no idea that Eurovision was what launched their career.
I'm not sure that's true in the UK at least. But it's only a good sign for Måneskin, anyway!

I'm not sure that's true in the UK at least. But it's only a good sign for Måneskin, anyway!
Perhaps not in the UK.
But people all over the world who know of ABBA, have absolutely no idea what Eurovision is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom