Italy 2021: Måneskin - Zitti e buoni + Global Domination

They absolutely would have never won San Remo (or even have been able to ENTER) with a song that wasn't in Italian, hence it taking them to Eurovision.
Post-Eurovision it just makes complete sense to run with the song that's more accessible and is showing clear crossover potential. I really don't think it's much deeper than that tbh.

If anything, they are lucky (or very well prepared) to have Slave waiting in their back pocket.

Perhaps not in the UK.
But people all over the world who know of ABBA, have absolutely no idea what Eurovision is.
And that's the best example of it not mattering one jot, like I said.

I’d say Celine is an even bigger example!
Yes, I was going to add her, but I know less of what she did before Eurovision, or after until she got properly big.

You can tell Europe got the right winner for once, I can't imagine any other artist from this year having the instant massive success of the Italians. I wonder if @Suomi already accepted the result. :eyes:

It’s difficult to say really how much Eurovision had to do with Celine’s success. Certainly unlike ABBA it is just a small chapter in her early career.

But with Måneskin I think surely it’s IMPOSSIBLE to argue that the Eurovision connection is just a lucky coincidence when they went from being unknown outside Italy on the Friday to huge everywhere on the Sunday!

Well Beggin is top 10 on US Spotify now and Slave is also rising

It does make me wonder how Eurovision actually figures into this any more. At the time is felt like it had produced a big hit, but Zits & Boners seems to have been retired almost immediately.

I mean from the band’s point of view it makes a lot more commercial sense to push the English song. But I’m left wondering what role Eurovision really had in the end
.....giving them a push at ALL in the first place they could use to promote other material!

That's clearly done on the quick, but done well.
There's enough content in there to make several thousand gifs and TikTok compilations that will shock parents, which I'm sure was entirely the point in the first place.

Not to detract from the rest of the band, but what a FABULOUS POP STAR he is.

Beggin up to 46 this week in the US from 78 last week (and Duncan Laurence incidentally up to a new peak of 58 from 68 last week). Think we're on for two big US Eurovision hits by September :o

Was it ever released as a single?

It's the same image anyone who listens to it on Spotify will see, so presumably it would be recognised.

It’s crazy to think they’re still in the charts two months after the contest. They better be releasing some music prior to Eurovision regardless of whether or not it’s to my tastes.

It’s crazy to think they’re still in the charts two months after the contest. They better be releasing some music prior to Eurovision regardless of whether or not it’s to my tastes.

Maneskin feat. Mahmood INCOMING.

Beggin #41 in the US. Its starting to get some radio play (top 50 on pop radio) so it will almost definitely be top 40 next week. It'll be the first Eurovision song to go top 40 since Gina G

Beggin #41 in the US. Its starting to get some radio play (top 50 on pop radio) so it will almost definitely be top 40 next week. It'll be the first Eurovision song to go top 40 since Gina G
How did Arcade do in the end?

EDIT: #58 (and still climbing?!) ?

Maneskin could easily peak in November or December

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom