Italy 2022 - Mahmood & Blanco - Brividi

Is Brividi giving you chills?

• Total voters
I still love it unconditionally. That this won by a LANDSLIDE in a country the size of Italy, a country that STILL doesn't recognise gay marriage BTW, will always strike a chord and mean something to me.

It goes way beyond a song that people may or may not like, it's about a large chunk of the Italian population GIVING A SHIT about something so unambiguously, if not explicitly GAY. And that's important to me :)

& please can we quietly RETIRE the "they're being a bit gay" narrative I've seen a few times on here pre-May?
It's not exactly PARADISE for gay men in Italy right now, and I think (as a straight man) Blanco should be applauded on here for going against it all by making such an obvious statement.

THANKS! Soapbox REMOVED from under me :)

So it's good because it's gay, but we shouldn't talk about it being a bit gay?

Confused Britney Spears GIF

So it's good because it's gay, but we shouldn't talk about it being a bit gay?

Confused Britney Spears GIF

That's not what I said.

OK if I need to be explicit then SURE JAN: I've seen a few times on here @ButterTart (who I like a LOT and bear no ill will to AT ALL, but tagging for transparency) say <paraphrasing> "this song is only popular because they are being a bit gay" - I personally don't accept that, and I find it rather off tonally (see my post above)

I don't think any harm was meant by it - literally a totally British way of being humorous - but to me it strikes a chord of being rather off and I'd politely ask that we retire this rhetoric, at least until the political situation improves for Italian LGBTQI+ people :)

Thanks, REALLY didn't want this to be a drama :)

The Sanremo perf really is striking, unique, queer and ALL THE BETTER FOR IT! :disco:

I think (as a straight man) Blanco should be applauded on here for going against it all by making such an obvious statement.
This is a very good point you‘ve raised here, particularly considering Blanco is one of THE biggest stars in Italy at the minute. Good on him!

I stand by my opinion that this is a nothing song that people wouldn't look twice at any other year, and I feel like I need a narrative to understand WHY it's so beloved. I'm happy to retire the gay thing though (even though fanfiction-esque shipping was very much part of the conversation about it online long before I chimed in) and just assume it's because @Soldi has taken hostages and demands positive comments about Italian songs in exchange for their safe release.

Blanco really does feel like the star on this on record. The beginning of the new version works excellently, but I do find myself missing his 'post'chorus go-around at the end (but appreciate there probably weren't that many other options for how they could get it down to 3 minutes).

I suppose the music only really kicks back in for about 12 seconds before dropping out again, so it’s not really an integral part of the song.

I stand by my opinion that this is a nothing song that people wouldn't look twice at any other year, and I feel like I need a narrative to understand WHY it's so beloved. I'm happy to retire the gay thing though (even though fanfiction-esque shipping was very much part of the conversation about it online long before I chimed in) and just assume it's because @Soldi has taken hostages and demands positive comments about Italian songs in exchange for their safe release.

Thanks beb! No harm done.
Let's not speak of this again :)

I don't think it should even be remotely controversial a point to point out that there are plenty of fans who get far keener the second there are any active gay overtones added to a performance. Literally none of them blinked twice at that Irish 2018 one until they knew the performance would have them and then boom - squawking ACROSS THE BOARD that it was a potential winner!

I don't think it should even be remotely controversial a point to point out that there are plenty of fans who get far keener the second there are any active gay overtones added to a performance. Literally none of them blinked twice at that Irish 2018 one until they knew the performance would have them and then boom - squawking ACROSS THE BOARD that it was a potential winner!

Well you have your opinion, and I have mine that I've clearly stated above :) I'm not exactly screaming to take this any further thanks!

I wasn't too bothered either way about this based on a couple of previous listens, but on watching the music video with the translation on at a little viewing gathering last night it felt like much more of a moment. Had a couple more listens today and now I am very taken with it.

I do think that while Mahmood might be the technically better singer it is Blanco's parts that make the song for me.

I feel like this is the runaway winner, unless Ukraine bags it for circumstantial reasons. and it's actually a great song so I'd be very PLEASED for Mahmood to top me the vote again.

A Mahmood win would make him this generation’s “Dima Bilan a bit gay” I guess :o especially if someone jumps off a piano and does a load of drugs

Has anyone posted the video yet? I’m not watching before the final.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom