It's A Sin (new Russell T Davies drama)

RTD has made a point of wanting to cast gay actors as gay characters in this, from interviews I've read.

Is he a real life GAY? (I’ve not seen or read anything of him otherwise...)

Yeah Russell T Davies said a few weeks ago that gay people should play gay parts and it was a bit of a thing for a few hours (obviously Piers Morgan had a thing or two to say about it :eyes:).

Last edited:
Real life Colin comes across as quite giddy and very excitable in the cast interviews I've seen.

We’re on episode 5 and just before it gets proper devastating* I just have to say OMG BIG MANDY!

* Mr Kate already bawling his eyes out :(

My boyfriend cried and he cries at nothing.

I put a post about the show on my Facebook and was interesting to see the range of people saying they were watching/watched and moved by it

My 15 year old gay godson is super political and his Instagram is nothing but BLM generally but even he’s changed tack after this and is all HIV related rhetoric. It’s interesting to see the affect it’s had on people.

I was going to watch at Channel 4 pace but after reading all the spoilers I couldn’t.

Like everyone else - Oh Colin :(

Have watched episodes 1-4 now... Episode 5 later today.

Episode 3 was almost too much to watch.

I was floored by the end of it. all those beautiful people, all that tragedy. thinking about what the LGBTQ+ community went through at that time, the loss and the fear. it makes me want to hug everyone *sobs again*

to the Swedophiles among us I strongly recommend watching Don't Ever Wipe Tears Without Gloves, it's an equally beautiful and gut punching AIDS drama

I was floored by the end of it. all those beautiful people, all that tragedy. thinking about what the LGBTQ+ community went through at that time, the loss and the fear. it makes me want to hug everyone *sobs again*

to the Swedophiles among us I strongly recommend watching Don't Ever Wipe Tears Without Gloves, it's an equally beautiful and gut punching AIDS drama

Don't Ever Wipe Tears was excellent. I can't believe it was shown as long ago as 2013, I remember it as being very powerful.

So I binge watched this yesterday evening as off work today and gosh it stuck with me all night. I had terrible dreams culminating in me dreaming I had contracted an illness and was scheduled to be taken into hospital by my mum on Friday to be put to sleep by a vet. I woke up a bit panicked a couple of times.

Anyway, this was a tough tough watch in parts. Yes, there was plenty of clumsy cliche but these were well outweighed by the moving parts and the intentions were good. I feel like there could’ve been a more of a fun/sorrow balance if the series had been a few episodes longer and think there was enough scope in their individual stories for there to be more episodes.

Colin was heartbreaking, I really expected to see him come out of his shell more and see his story more, was so taken aback by events culminating for him as early in the series as it did. I liked the Asian lawyer lady too to be honest.
I thought it was an uncomfortable but honest moment when one of the characters said they continued to have sex knowing they had the virus. It was important not to paint them all as perfect I feel.

Last edited:

God, YES! ‘Don’t ever wipe tears....’ was amazing television. Highly recommended if you can watch another AIDS drama so close to watching ‘It’s a sin’.

3.477m including devices, which is a high amount for non TV viewing.

Very pleased that it seems to have found an audience.

I didn't revisit the second episode but I am considering putting myself through the wringer and watching episode three again on Friday.

IT'S A SIN BECOMES CHANNEL 4'S MOST BINGED SERIES EVER AND GIVES ALL4 BIGGEST MONTH EVER

All 4 achieved its biggest ever month of streaming in January 2021 with almost double the number of views compared to the same month last year (+91%) thanks to the huge success of brand new five-part drama It’s A Sin.

d56877_7fe8c32b8eeb42f7882848ba1cd48fe3~mv2.webp

The series has already had 6.5 million views on All 4, making it the streaming services’ biggest ever instant box set, third biggest series to date and most binged new series ever.

Episode one has become All 4’s most popular drama launch on record.

Launching to critical acclaim on Friday 22nd January the entire series was made immediately available to stream on All 4, contributing towards its biggest ever week and month of viewing.

During its debut week Channel 4’s exclusive It’s A Sin social content reached 4 million users across Facebook, You Tube, Twitter and Snapchat whilst the show’s hashtag was seen by over 83m people.

After seven days’ consolidation (taking account of time-shifted viewing on a TV over that period) the series’ launch episode pulled in an average audience of 3.3 million viewers and 14.5% share of the viewing audience. It’s impressive 18.4% share of 16-34 year old viewers makes it Channel 4’s best drama launch for young viewers in three years (Since Kiri, Jan 2018).

Ian Katz, Chief Content Officer said: “The extraordinary performance of It’s a Sin is a reminder that powerful drama with something important to say about the world can also be commercially successful. It has also demonstrated how our strategy of box-setting shows on All 4 can bring a greater combined linear and digital audience to a show than a traditional release pattern. It's been a key driver of All 4 viewing in a month that has seen our digital viewing on our own platforms up by more than 90% compared to the same period last year.”

I really want to watch it. But I also don't just want to throw it on at the end of a workday if that makes sense.

They’re probably regretting not trying to book 6-8 episodes now. Certainly there’s room to develop the stories and reach the same end with these characters.

This character on the right stole the show for me. Seeing the mother confronted was satisfying. Especially the part where she didn’t understand how the Mother didn’t know her son was gay. Resonated with me a lot.

it has come to my attention that my mum has watched the show without telling her ONLY GAY CHILE!

she is actually exactly like Colin's mum, body and soul. bless

My sister messaged me to say she was watching it with her husband and found it really good but really sad.

I doubt my parents would watch but might be wrong

Keeley Hawes performance in Episode 5 was astonishingly good. It really resonated with me. My mum (bless her) and her Conservative values and the old standard cliches that she said when I came out to her - I heard them all in Hawes's character. Fortunately, mine was without the added revelation of having AIDS and mine has had 20 years to grow and learn since then. (I too LOVED Ruth Sheen's character. As soon as she walked into that scene, I knew it was her - her voice is so distinctive. What a scene). I want to watch the 2nd 'part' of Episode 5 again where the camera just tracks her character for the entirety. Very very clever piece of writing.

I would LOVE for my parents to watch it. But unfortunately those old Conservative values would come straight in during the first 15 minutes when affronted by graphic scenes of young men being fucked up the arse while giving monologues to camera and they'd likely say it was 'unnecessary'. If any generation NEEDS to see this though, it's theirs. To finally hear the truth of all the misinformation that they STILL believe about HIV and AIDS.

I believe my mum mentioned or responded to the mention of rimming once in an acknowledging manner :gross:

My 80 year old Mum watched the whole lot before we did. She said she was going to, I warned her it was going to be raunchy and she probably shouldn’t and she said “what’s the difference between watching that and that Bridgerton?”.

Well...

Going to binge watch this again this week. It really was fantastic, although I need to mentally prepare myself for the UGLY CRYING that will occur as a result.

OT: My mum has just discovered the concept of binge watching. She’s had my Netflix password among others for ages but up until last week only ever watched films and was never interested in TV shows. She accidentally started watching something thinking it was a film and before she knew it was 8 episodes in and it was 2am

I thought it was very well done on the whole, and like cwej said Keeley Hawes in Episode 5 was phenomenal and so was the direction -- those close, long tracking shots of her going up and down the hospital, my eyes were GLUED to the screen. All very manic.

I really thought it conveyed, through Colin and Ollie especially, how gay men were convinced that it was because they were gay that they had AIDS and were dying. Oh it's too sad for words, ugh. :( Hugs to everyone xx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom