It's A Sin (new Russell T Davies drama)

I doubt there'll be another series, but I could see RTD wanting to revisit Jill at some point - whether in a series about her, or a cameo in a future unrelated show (like when Hazel from QAF appeared in Cucumber).

That's probably more likely - it wouldn't be like RTD to have a female character in one of his shows and NOT find some way to kill her off...

Sure, it just really wound me up in the episodes of Doctor Who I watched for some reason. There seemed to be a really repetitive formula of 'introduce female character' 'have female character die to save the day'.

I remember he did it TWICE in the Kylie episode, which I think was the point it jumped the shark for me and I stopped watching. :D

I think killing off Jill would be a bit OFF considering she is still alive and well in real life, and played Jills mother in the show.

This is finally available here, so I started this morning. The end of episode 2 destroyed me :(

I don’t know if I can even keep watching, given what I think will happen

I doubt there'll be another series, but I could see RTD wanting to revisit Jill at some point - whether in a series about her, or a cameo in a future unrelated show (like when Hazel from QAF appeared in Cucumber).

I appreciate the focus wasn't supposed to be on her but the main flaw of It's A Sin for me is that, for a main character, Jill has no real life or personality of her own. Her only purpose is to serve / interact with the male characters ... we don't even know if she is queer herself. A follow-up piece would be an opportunity to flesh her out a bit.

Interestingly, I felt like the focus WAS on her (but you're quite right not ABOUT her). She was the central viewpoint for me, observing everything else happening around her. But yes, you're right, we found out little about her as a person in herself.

Yes, it would be interesting to know if we'd have learnt anything about her life if it had been the 8 episodes instead of 5.

Interestingly, I felt like the focus WAS on her (but you're quite right not ABOUT her). She was the central viewpoint for me, observing everything else happening around her. But yes, you're right, we found out little about her as a person in herself.

The focus is only on her as an anchor that connects all of the other characters.

We’re on episode 5 and just before it gets proper devastating* I just have to say OMG BIG MANDY!

* Mr Kate already bawling his eyes out :(

Well fuck. He cries at everything but I have never seen him THAT BAD!

yes, my goodness, I’ve been trying to soothe @HerSereneHighnessAnniFrid for the past twenty minutes, gently singing the soothing Chaos at the Airport by Kim Wilde into his ear

I loved the first four episodes of this but I felt the last one was quite poorly written and I did not rate the performance of the mother at all. I really like the dad suddenly becoming soft and unable to cope, and I totally get what they were going for with the gentle mum suddenly hardening up and becoming angry, but it was just too many things in sequence that I didn’t think rang true - like when she accused Jill of not having a life of her own? It felt like a lot of different reactions at once and it was too big a jump from how I viewed her before. I really liked the shots of her walking down the corridor back and forth though, that was some good directing

Did we know about RTD's original plan for a final episode set in the present day? I wonder if they'd have recast everyone, or used make-up... Lydia West is good but I'm not sure I'd buy her as a fiftysomething :D

The stuff about Jill feeling 'trapped' by her life devoted to battling HIV is interesting, as it feels like a development of that scene in the hospital where she gets accused of having no life of her own... I could see a scene with her wondering how things could have been if not for the virus, or if she'd looked away from it. I also wonder if the Roscoe stuff might have been more hopeful than it sounds - highlighting the differences between a diagnosis in the Eighties and a more recent one.

I'm glad they didn't make that episode... I already found the last episode almost impossible to watch, that Jill stuff just sounds a bit depressing to me

I'm glad they didn't make that episode... I already found the last episode almost impossible to watch, that Jill stuff just sounds a bit depressing to me

In more light-hearted AIDS content, do be sure to watch the Golden Girls episode where Rose has a blood transfusion and thinks it may have contained HIV antibodies.

In more light-hearted AIDS content, do be sure to watch the Golden Girls episode where Rose has a blood transfusion and thinks it may have contained HIV antibodies.

!:D

I don’t think I’d be able to find that funny after watching this though (at least not for a while)

I loved the first four episodes of this but I felt the last one was quite poorly written and I did not rate the performance of the mother at all. I really like the dad suddenly becoming soft and unable to cope, and I totally get what they were going for with the gentle mum suddenly hardening up and becoming angry, but it was just too many things in sequence that I didn’t think rang true - like when she accused Jill of not having a life of her own? It felt like a lot of different reactions at once and it was too big a jump from how I viewed her before. I really liked the shots of her walking down the corridor back and forth though, that was some good directing

I do disagree - I thought the performance was exceptional and the writing was so interesting... I thought her response to Jill made total sense - there was no understanding of why a girl would hang around with gay people at all. Straight people saw gay people as a freak show and couldn't understand allies. I totally 'got' it - and like I said felt like my mum would have been similar, at least briefly, even though she told me she wouldn't... :D

Well after 18 months I finally watched the shit out of this. I didn't watch for the exact reason I expected.

Fucking hell, it was devastating. The emotional hit of Colin, the isolation, the homophobia, the fear, the ignorance. So glad that shit happened to me years after this, awful to be reminded that 1000s weren't so lucky. They explored quite a few areas (such as the super spreading, Colin not being a slut and even losing a job, plus the bravado of Ritchie) which I've not seen much of before. All in all very well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom