J. K. Rowling and other TERFs

There's a theory that everyone knew Bailey had nothing and it's a crowdfunded publicity stunt - it's risk free insofar as if she wins something, it's a triumph and if she gets nothing at all (as seems likely), it's a conspiracy and proof of a powerful leftwing elite blah blah blah the usual horseshit. So far, it's not really working and she's just made herself look stupid. However, these people have the majority of the newspapers on their side and will have their next step sorted regardless.

so is our Deb a terf or not? :D someone please clarify
It looks like 'not'. There's a tactic on the go to blame trans people for the roll back of abortion rights/availability in the US despite the fact that the Venn diagram people who believe in proper health care for transgender people and people who want to ban all termination of pregnancy and criminalise any miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy etc is 2 non-touching circles. It looks like a crossed wire in a wider Twitter thread.

Ooft :D

6B63C2DC-6470-4A15-B7F8-A9422D7998A7.jpeg

I wonder how many times they'll rename themselves before some of them twig that it isn't the names that are the problem :tongueout:

I guess Netflix is where transphobes go these days

Sneering cunt Ricky Gervais releases a special where he punches downwards so people think he’s edgy? GASP.

I need to find out the wider context on the outside chance that he’s being misquoted, but that sounds depressingly self explanatory.

Oh it'll be ironic, in the same way that everything he ever says is ironic so there's some kind of deniability. Imagine how tired we are!
I’ve just checked - he issues a disclaimer at the end that he supports trans people so people can’t complain.

I’m a big believer that no topic should be off limits in comedy, but you have to be able to construct a joke so it pokes fun without victimising. Having to issue a disclaimer tells me he that’s a level of skill he doesn’t possess. Oh, that and the fact he’s not funny at all.

I haven't watched it but before we all cancel him, he has a very specific sense of humour where he mocks modern culture and society's handling of it, particularly media and social media. He's essentially saying we're all part of the problem - which to some extent I agree with. He took some flack for homophobia and racism in his shows but I always believed he was mocking the ignorance not the victims. Might have been heavy handed and clumsy at times but that was always the intent.

Obviously if he is being dismissive of transphobia he can fuck off, but that's very out of character for him. He is very progressive in his views normally but his humour often sits right on those boundaries of taste and acceptance.

I haven't watched it but before we all cancel him, he has a very specific sense of humour where he mocks modern culture and society's handling of it, particularly media and social media. He's essentially saying we're all part of the problem - which to some extent I agree with. He took some flack for homophobia and racism in his shows but I always believed he was mocking the ignorance not the victims. Might have been heavy handed and clumsy at times but that was always the intent.

Obviously if he is being dismissive of transphobia he can fuck off, but that's very out of character for him. He is very progressive in his views normally but his humour often sits right on those boundaries of taste and acceptance.
I get that, but the way he delivers these messages is really cack-handed. I’ve often thought there’s a condescension to him, like he’s not trying to encourage a dialogue but tell people he’s right and they’re idiots for disagreeing. As I say, no topic should be off the table but I don’t think he’s approaching a volatile subject well at all.

He is very cack handed and I always thought that was on purpose. I can't really say because I haven't watched it and probably won't, I prefer his commentary and podcast stuff to his comedy these days but it is a shame if he's wrong on this one because knowing him he will definitely double down and as you say, tell everyone they're stupid for misunderstanding his intention. He's usually right about that - maybe not on this occasion.

Supporting trans people or not, you only have to look at the glee of the TERFS and bigots online today to see that he’s just legitimising this gross stuff.

Supporting trans people or not, you only have to look at the glee of the TERFS and bigots online today to see that he’s just legitimising this gross stuff.
Yes, this is where my attempt to understand him stalls. No matter what your intent, if you're getting them fired up and praising you (and the impact that will be having on people just trying to live their own fucking life), you've messed up.

Gervais is just the modern Bernard Manning. "It's only a joke". Aye, to you. But to the TERFs, nazis and general right wing scum bags, it's validation.

Absolute cunt.

I see he's moved on from announcing that he's an atheist.

Does that trigger you?

I bet it triggers you that he's an ATHEIST.

He doesn't believe in GOD, you see, and he doesn't care if it upsets you.

He's dressed as JESUS, who was PERSECUTED. PERSECUTED like an atheist is now, except atheists are REAL.

You can SHRUG all you like, but he knows he's offended you, and that's YOUR problem.

The fact that that single three year old Acaster skit (as great as it is) is repeatedly wheeled out in response to the number of other transphobic routines is a little dispiriting, though.

Last edited:
The fact that that single three year old Acaster skit (as great as it is) is repeatedly wheeled out in response to the number of other transphobic routines is a little dispiriting, though.
I’d never seen it until yesterday, so let’s keep wheeling it out

I’d never seen it until yesterday, so let’s keep wheeling it out
Oh I'm only too happy to see it here again - I just mean in the sense that how many incidences of transphobic Netflix specials/live shows have there been since that it NEEDS to be wheeled out? Or that it's the only one that people seem to be aware of?

Also, fuck Netflix for slipping this out midweek, knowing that they have Stranger Things coming at the weekend to change the subject for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom