Jamelia - Superstar

A'YO, AYO AYO

• Total voters
I enjoyed that it saved her career and elevated her to big pop girl status to a small degree. For about five minutes anyway.

What is more tragic is how Walk With Me bombed a few years later despite being full of bangers and the still lovely "Something About You" :( It's a really strong album, ugh

AGOG at how doofy the lyrics are on the Christine Milton original - and that it cuts out the best bit in the ad libs at the end!

AGOG at how doofy the lyrics are on the Christine Milton original - and that it cuts out the best bit in the ad libs at the end!

I'm also convinced the video inspired Dannii's Put the Needle on It whether it came first or not. We must remember that concepts were pitched with or without the songs in these days (Kylie's Slow being a great example when it was out of Team Rachel's budget for Sweet Dreams).

I enjoyed that it saved her career and elevated her to big pop girl status to a small degree. For about five minutes anyway.

What is more tragic is how Walk With Me bombed a few years later despite being full of bangers and the still lovely "Something About You" :( It's a really strong album, ugh
I think they waited four years to put out Walk With Me and it was just too long. the momentum died. also the cover art was very mumsy when previously her image had some edge. Beware of the Dog should've been massive though, and Something About You. it was a great album.

It was......two years later?

Granted pop culturally a very LONG two years

anyway Superstar is an ALL TIMER obviously. right up there with Sweet Dreams My LA Ex, Hole In the Head etc as some of the finest pop of the 00s' first half.

It was......two years later?
wiki says it was three years to the week. and over 2 years between See It In a Boy's Eyes and Something About You. that's quite a long time for someone who had one successful album and was on a good run of hit singles.

I never got this. I much prefer Thank You and the Coldplay song.

wiki says it was three years to the week. and over 2 years between See It In a Boy's Eyes and Something About You. that's quite a long time for someone who had one successful album and was on a good run of hit singles.
And I suppose to be fair pop culture did travel QUITE a long way between the first half of 2004 and the back half of 2006, even if it doesn't feel especially easy to put a finger on how and where

It was a long time I agree, but the final single (‘DJ/Stop’) was Nov 14 and the first from this Sep 16 so under two years. Four might be slight the stretch :D

BOY I'LL TAKE IT:

Rather than continue where the admittedly gorge Thank U (track) left off, she should have had another pop bop like Superstar up her sleeve to launch with. I think I'll opt for Antidote and Taxi next for some Jam jams.

Her career was so strangely mismanaged, they wanted her to be Rihanna, then Beyoncé, then Shontelle; kinda like an updated take on what happened to Samantha Mumba, they just didn't know what to do with them.

The difference between Money and Superstar, I mean...

I forgot "Something About You" was top 10, but I suppose it was an era where that wasn't particularly hard and didn't mean it was a hit HIT.

I love it to pieces but it was definitely a mistake to suddenly be swinging for Radio 2 style midtempos already. Not when she had "Ain't a Love" and "Do Me Right" up her sleeve.

Wasn't this her last album? That's ridiculous

I think they were going for a Kelly Clarkson type thing, and to be fair it worked for the Sugababes with a very similar song the following year. I love all three singles from the album to be fair, but they just didn’t connect outside internet gays (the first two anyway).

Yeah it’s a shame about the gap, but for my tuppence I never really liked Superstar, it just felt cheap (the video didn’t help) and could’ve been sung by anyone - which makes sense if it was a cover

But the Thank You singles :disco: Something about you was so great and exactly the calibre of material she should have been doing. Boys Eyes was interesting too, and Dog I can give or take - it’s a good song but people drag Hung Up for being too dependent on it’s sample, I think Dog is way more like that.

oh I didn’t even say about Thank You the song, incredible, I was MESMERED by that video too. It might not have been PopJustice catnip like some of the other singles but I loved it

the sun is shining, it's 28 degrees, Superstar is blasting and LIFE IS GOOD

NO NO
GOTTA BE, GOTTA BE A SUPERSTAR!
ALL EYES ON YOU, YEAH

great adlibs, beautiful adlibs. it's a shame she faded so fast as a popstar, she was really very good at it.

Yeah it’s still a bit baffling. She had huge radio support, and Something About You was pretty on trend (pre About You Now from memory, and the same time Kelly C was doing a similar vibe to much success) yet #9 must’ve been a bit lower than hoped.

Beware of the Dog is possibly a bit too gay in hindsight, but again it got good play and seemed like it could’ve done rather well, but a #10 with a shout chart run really just confirmed the public weren’t biting for whatever reason.

Last edited:
the opposite is true! her voice was very pop, very smooth, not challenging at all to me. that's part of why songs like Stop, See It In a Boy's Eyes, Thank You etc were all over radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom