Janet Jackson - Black Diamond (RE-RE-JANCELLED!)

They really do have the same nose

Oh those crazy days when I had to defend Janice as the moderator of her dotmusic forum. I was kind of relieved when dot folded as 'All For You' was lacklustre in comparison to the four albums she released before it. 'Damita Jo' was kind of okay, but of course the Superbowl incident turned that whole campaign into a car crash. I really struggled at the time to engage with '20 Y.O.' although I've been listening to it a lot this last year or so and it's not a bad album at all. Despite repeated plays and earnest attempts on my part, I could not engage with 'Discipline' at all. I think I've played her debut album a gazillion times more often than I have 'Discipline'. Then we get to 'Unbreakable', which was a real return to form and 'The Great Forever' gives me goosebumps. Every. Single. Time. Still love her, despite her shrinking nose.

Last edited:
Discipline is AMAZING - in places. there are a few syrupy moments but the highs are really divine and quite numerous.

Rock With U is of course amazing and I'm STILL gagged at how terminally underrated Feedback is, even by the gays. I remember a poll on here about which song was better - that or M's 4 Minutes - and Madonna won by a landslide. Which blows my mind. Feedback is so fucking slick, sexy and ridiculous (in the best way). It's a CLASSIC Janet dance banger. 4 Minutes cannot lick its boots.

Oh those crazy days when I had to defend Janice as the moderator of her dotmusic forum. I was kind of relieved when dot folded as 'All For You' was lacklustre in comparison to the four albums she released before it. 'Damita Jo' was kind of okay, but of course the Superbowl incident turned that into whole campaign into a car crash. I really struggled at the time to engage with '20 Y.O.' although I've been listening to it a lot this last year or so and it's not a bad album at all. Despite repeated plays and earnest attempts on my part, I could not engage with 'Discipline' at all. I think I've played her debut album a gazillion times more often than I have 'Discipline'. Then we get to 'Unbreakable', which was a real return to form and 'The Great Forever' gives me goosebumps. Every. Single. Time. Still love her, despite her shrinking nose.
You're back! Wow! Nice to see you x

Discipline is AMAZING - in places. there are a few syrupy moments but the highs are really divine and quite numerous.

Rock With U is of course amazing and I'm STILL gagged at how terminally underrated Feedback is, even by the gays. I remember a poll on here about which song was better - that or M's 4 Minutes - and Madonna won by a landslide. Which blows my mind. Feedback is so fucking slick, sexy and ridiculous (in the best way). It's a CLASSIC Janet dance banger. 4 Minutes cannot lick its boots.

I'm not getting in to the Madonna vs Janice thingy. My moderator days are behind me and there's always been more than enough room for both in my life. I don't know what it is about 'Discipline' that I can't click with. 'Rock With U' IS indeed a stellar track and 'Feedback' pisses over the rest of the album from the height of Mount Everest. I was sitting in one of the gay bars in Le Marais last year and they played 'Feedback' and I have to confess I got chills hearing it again.

I'm not getting in to the Madonna vs Janice thingy. My moderator days are behind me and there's always been more than enough room for both in my life. I don't know what it is about 'Discipline' that I can't click with. 'Rock With U' IS indeed a stellar track and 'Feedback' pisses over the rest of the album from the height of Mount Everest. I was sitting in one of the gay bars in Le Marais last year and they played 'Feedback' and I have to confess I got chills hearing it again.

:D I’d like to think we’re all a little bit more mature than in 2001!

Welcome BACK!

Been playing 'Discipline' on repeat this afternoon to give it another chance and it is 'So Much Betta' than I remember it being. I prefer it to 'All For You' now.

You've basically put a target on your own back. These Yanet-haters won't stand for it.

I feel like I'm REALLY due a reappraisal of Unbreakable - is anyone in the mood for a sync listen in the coming days? Do we still DO THOSE? I think it could be a solid choice. Judging by Moopy's tone toward Janet NOW and reading back the SCORN in the Unbreakable thread from 2015, some of you might fancy a re-listen too :disco:

Is the Unbreakable vinyl expensive? I might be quids in. I have all the original pressings of the Janet albums :o

I'm doing a sync listen on Thursday night (thread to come when I'm home in a bit), so avoid then, please.

I think Sunday might be better for me but go with the majority / works for you

The lethal combination of @Jark and Janft could break my heart if they jancel :(
I predict that the plight of the Rohingya in Myanmar may force a jancellation :(

part of me would quite like to do just it for the janet. album INSTEAD although I never need an excuse to POP MY PUSS to THAT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom