Janet Jackson general (2021/2)

it does look good, but wasn't this supposed to be on Netflix? it's a bit weird that it doesn't have a channel or streamer attached to it now, no?

Itā€™s for A&E. I think the Netflix thing was supposed to be about the elusive Black Diamond album but it never went ahead.

Whose voice is that at the start? It sounds like Ulrika Jonsson :D

I got half an hour in. It started out really well with a history of black music from new artists in the US not breaking through post-Disco Sucks and pre-Thriller, but once he got to talking about Janetā€™s actual career, I got annoyed with the guy rambling on about her amazing ā€globalā€ success but only ever talking about Japan. Like Janet herself, her ā€œWorld Toursā€ consist of the US, Canada and Japan. Bit weird.

I got half an hour in. It started out really well with a history of black music from new artists in the US not breaking through post-Disco Sucks and pre-Thriller, but once he got to talking about Janetā€™s actual career, I got annoyed with the guy rambling on about her amazing ā€globalā€ success but only ever talking about Japan. Like Janet herself, her ā€œWorld Toursā€ consist of the US, Canada and Japan. Bit weird.
Stick with it, it gets interesting around Velvet Rope!

I didn't know she was originally meant to perform the 2002 Superbowl Half Time Show :o

Yeah, I watched that guy witter away for two hours and whilst he made a couple of interesting points, the repetitiveness of it all just wore me down and I gave up watching about ten minutes before he stopped recording himself. I think I did quite well.

Bearing in mind that I was once the moderator of that poisoned chalice that was her dotmusic forum for a short while, here's my current take on Janet. She is so easy to criticise. Sometimes she really doesn't do herself any favours in that regard and she practically hands you the wood (no sexual pun intended), the nails and the hammer to assemble the cross to crucify her on - except of course Madonna did the crucifixion thing first on the 'Confessions' tour, so Janet would just be copying (AGAIN).

I'm far more jaded, addled and bitter these days - but I have remained consistently loyal to those acts who had a massive impact on me in my much younger days. I don't care if Kate Bush now looks more like Jabba the Hutt instead of conjuring up images of Princess Leia in her gold bikini courtesy of the 'Babooshka' video. Whilst it pains me that Madonna has asked her plastic surgeon to make her look like Pete Burns and has become a grotesque embarrassment not just on chat shows, but on her own social media channels, I still have nothing but respect for the impact she made. Same with Janet. She's far from perfect. However, I consider myself extremely fortunate to be old enough to have witnessed first-hand the breakthrough and the impact that these acts had at the time. That I am lucky enough to be old enough to have been able to go and see them in concert in their absolute prime and to have had my mind blown by the spectacle.

It's so easy to knock them all now - Madge, Janice and Sinitta, but I think it is important to remember that we accessed music and music videos in a very different way back then. As consumers we purchased actual singles and albums, not just a track here or a track there. We bought the entire product. We invested in it, be it 7", 12", cassette-single, CD-single, picture disc - shaped or regular - and in most cases, because the accompanying music video made us want to own it. The video was everything! It wasn't just a performance, it was an update for that particular act - not just the new music and a possible new sound, but how they looked, what they were wearing, what dance moves you needed to learn to keep up-to-date with them and was the video flashy, controversial and better than Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' - the benchmark against which all videos were compared in the 1980's (and beyond).

Janet held her own back then - giggles and EDIT's fully included.

Lest we forget, we have Janet's boob to thank for YouTube.

Speaking of which, I LOVE watching reaction videos being shared by individuals from a generation that missed out on all of the above. People who have NO idea who Madonna is and have somehow never heard 'Vogue' before. People who have never heard or seen the video for 'Rhythm Nation' and yet know Janet is Michael's sister but that's about all they do know about her. When you watch those enviably much-younger people watching the video for 'Like A Prayer' or 'Wuthering Heights' or 'The Pleasure Principle' for the first time and you see them picking up on the hooks and the performances that captivated you, their eyes widening and jaws dropping in all the right places and you see their faces light up as they LOVE what they are experiencing - that's a whole new generation of people who are listening without prejudice and they are finding something new and amazing in an act that you have loved for decades...THAT is the reality of Janet in 2021.

Last edited:
Is it "so easy" to knock Janet now? other than the occasional world tour jancellation (which, let's face it, we're all here for) I don't find her a laughing stock at all.

her discography is brilliant and vast, her considerable legacy and impact on pop and R&B has become very evident in the past 10+ years (you have artists like Normani paying direct homage to her in their own looks, choreo and music) and she minds her own business. what's to knock, really?

I think a pop star reaches a point after which she can act a damn fool and her career remains basically untarnishable.

Janet is well beyond that point. All jancellations jokes aside, she'll always be fabulous and the BEST fucking dancer ever. The true Queen of Choreo (after Mariah of course)

mariah carey love GIF by VH1

Unbreakable was the unthinkable for most of her contemporaries (Mariah and more so Toni B have been quietly excelling everytime anyway).

The only thing I hope they find is that clip of Justin coming off stage at the Super Bowl and quipping to a camera some jokey comment like "We're showing the people what they want to see" or something like that. It happened and contradicts all of the forced apologies they both had to make at the time about it being an accident, but the footage was never repeated. They should really juxtapose it with similar incidents that have happened on other live shows around the world with other women and how it was never treated as anything other than something quite funny.

Someone found it! The quote was ā€œlove giving you something to talk aboutā€

This is going a bit viral with the hashtag #justiceforjanet. I could understand during the Damita Jo campaign to an extent, but this is THREE YEARS LATER.

I heard it's very lacking in Jan's own perspective so i'll probably just wait for her doc.

re: justin, the tide seems to be turning:

will be interesting to see if he can douche his way out again.

Last edited:
Love this video

On Whatā€™s It Gonna Be in her soft, polite voice at 5:14 - ā€œI hope Iā€™m not getting too crass here but those were cock ringsā€ :D

I love how real she looks in the Allure video, especially for someone who is supposed to be mostly-plastic. This is what a 55 year-old ageing pop star SHOULD look like. (I also love the shaved and grey bits in her hair)

I enjoyed her manner here, it almost felt off the cuff for her. Being on the follow-up to the stellar Unbreakable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom