Jark presents JARKPOP: Lady Gaga's 30 Greatest Songs... So Far

What what? No lies detected in @POP! 's statement as far as I can see.
There was TONS of good pop music. What the fuck are you two smoking?:D Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani, Rihanna, M.I.A., Roisin Murphy, Christina Aguilera, Girls Aloud, Sugababes, Siobhan Donaghy to name A FEW. All released decent to great albums. Like, WHAT?

No shade against those artists, truly, but I see what @POP! meant with his statement. It was quite exciting when Lady Gaga emerged because she seemed like a breath of fresh air. Some of those artists you mentioned are quite leftfield and not really mainstream (e.g. MIA), and we all know Gaga copie... sorry I mean was inspired by Roisin, so yes of course we have that.

The others were all fine but were either coasting or starting to become formulaic/omnipresent at that point (Nelly Furtado, Christina Aguilera etc). Rihanna didn't really interest me until Rated R but that may be a personal thing.

As for Siobhan Donaghy... really girl? I love Ghosts and everything but come on.

As for Siobhan Donaghy... really girl? I love Ghosts and everything but come on.
I mean, I understand she doesn’t QUITE have the profile the others mentioned do but that’s not how I consume or rate pop music. It’s a highly regarded album among some pop music fans which is why I mentioned it even though I actually prefer her debut.

There was TONS of good pop music. What the fuck are you two smoking?:D Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani, Rihanna, M.I.A., Roisin Murphy, Christina Aguilera, Girls Aloud, Sugababes, Siobhan Donaghy to name A FEW. All released decent to great albums. Like, WHAT?

I respectfully disagree - the pop music scene was stale, uninspired and pandering to urban markets to get airplay in 2006-2008. Gaga felt like a cultural shift because she was unabashedly pop and finally each video release/performance etc felt like an event again. Suddenly, a female pop act didn't need to feature AKON and TIMBALAND (like a few of your examples) to get a pop hit. I will give Rihanna some credit though, I don't think Good Girl Gone Bad has aged particularly well but "Don't Stop the Music" arguably paved the way for other pop-dance songs to breakthrough at radio, at least in America.

Also, 50% of those acts never broke ground outside of UK. I know I'm in the minority here, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking Roisin Murphy was reflective of what was going on in mainstream pop in 2007...

I respectfully disagree - the pop music scene was stale, uninspired and pandering to urban markets to get airplay in 2006-2008. Gaga felt like a cultural shift because she was unabashedly pop and finally each video release/performance etc felt like an event again. Suddenly, a female pop act didn't need to feature AKON and TIMBALAND (like a few of your examples) to get a pop hit.

there’s a point there, but Just Dance was a co-write with AKON wasn’t it? He was in ten video :D

I have no interest in anything A Star Is Born related so let's keep those to a minimum, please.
:D

there's nothing more from A Star Is Born

the album with the most tracks featured has provided TEN entries, five of which are top 10.
the next-most featured have given six and five entries, respectively.
the least-featured contributed just one, which will appear SHORTLY!

Jark23EdgeofGlory.png

23 · The Edge of Glory · from "Born This Way"

Eight entries deep into this countdown (25% complete! I can't wait to see how far I get before abandoning it!) we have our first number from the legendaric seminal opus of the last decade, Born This Way. The Edge of Glory occupies a strange in-betweeny territory - it was a global top 10 hit, triple platinum in the US and probably the least divisive/most universally liked single from Born This Way, but a decade on I'm not sure it's among her pantheon of signature hits. Nonetheless it does represent the side of Gaga that aspires to be a classic American songwriter, screaming out anthems in stadiums with every ounce of expressiveness her voice can summon. The sax is a total delight, the chorus is straightforward by design but undeniably effortless, and the energy does not relent from the moment those stabby intro synths give way into a big driving beat. Girl wanted to serve a new American classic, so that's what she did.

"Edge of Glory" is a classic, but I remember the horrified response the video got, which was not bad in hindsight.

All the praise TEOG gets here makes me reflect about my life, it doesn't even make me flinch, it's just "there" :(

I like Eh Eh though. Agree it knows exactly what song it wants to be and it’s a cute bop.

I think it's best for our mental health not to pay attention to the numbers but to view this more as a reverse Jark-hole-ian exploration of the Lady Gaga oeuvre, with songs picked entirely at random for dissection.

I love Edge Of Glory. Probably my favourite from the first 3 albums era.

carry on.

Pipo's guesses seem on point for Ms Jark

However, I will give her some more credit. Knowing she's a BTW / ARTPOP girl (a sloppy bottom), I would go for:

1. Scheiße
2. Artpop
3. Gypsy

Jark22Aura.png

22 · Aura · from "Artpop"

Put the knife under the hood...
If you find it, send it straight to Hollywood...

Probably far from being the most widely appreciated song on Artpop, Aura has a certain delirious, psychotic energy that manifests as something genuinely weird. It flips from being a total production job throughout those noisy, clattering, coldly industrial techno verses before morphing briefly into something sparkly and melodic. Her vocal on the chorus is utterly sublime. When it falls back into the second verse, it starts to develop a flow and a pace which feels quite addictive, almost like a hard, grimy facade built on a bubblegum foundation. I think that, although it doesn't exactly have any sister songs on ARTPOP, it is in many ways a mission statement for an album which is fully devoted to being brash, maximalist and fully just way too much. It builds and falls chaotically, it twists direction constantly and it's over before you know. 2 of those statements are true for the album, too. :)

Chillin W/Wale
Starstruck w/Flo-Rida
Big Girl Now w/New Kids On The Block

Pipo's guesses seem on point for Ms Jark

However, I will give her some more credit. Knowing she's a BTW / ARTPOP girl (a sloppy bottom), I would go for:

1. Scheiße
2. Artpop
3. Gypsy

Whose predictions will PREVAIL? (not Pipo's) - we will find out, possibly before 2021

We COULD
We COULD
JARKPOP together

My Jarkétté Lädÿ Gágà tøp 3:

1. Sine From Above
2. Venus
3. Speechless

ok my serious attempt would probably look like this

1. Venus
2. Do What U Want (Feat. XXtina unless he still prefers the original version)
3. Dance In The Dark

a Top 3

You don't know me AT ALL :D

I was GOBBING OFF about Dance In The Dark overstaying its welcome by being top 8 in Cwej's game :D

another coming tonight

(posting this here to force myself to actually do it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom