Jennifer Lopez - Halftime (new Netflix doc)

How much did you like it?

• Total voters

POP!

Let the light in
This is out June 14th, and already generating some clickbait headlines (she apparently says Superbowl Halftime Show with Shakira was the "worst idea")

It looks RATHER GOOD

This is out June 14th, and already generating some clickbait headlines (she apparently says Superbowl Halftime Show with Shakira was the "worst idea")

It looks RATHER GOOD

I find her quite charming.

I can see why J Lo might be offended about sharing the stage with Shakira (and vice versa) when MAROON 5 got a halftime show all to themselves.

I am looking forward to watching this but then I agree with the comments that bigger names than J.Lo have shared the stage so put that ego away babes

I forgot she even did the half-time show. Was that this year? Sounds like a whole bunch of nothing to document.

I forgot she even did the half-time show. Was that this year? Sounds like a whole bunch of nothing to document.
It was 2020 I think. The trailer for the doc seems to suggest it’s more of a comprehensive career retrospective than the title would suggest…

It was 2020 I think. The trailer for the doc seems to suggest it’s more of a comprehensive career retrospective than the title would suggest…
Oh well. Not for me, but carry on. Looking forward to the Pamela Anderson one on Netflix though.

That man said

i dont know her mariah carey GIF

I watched it today, mainly attracted by the shade towards Shakira I'd tantalisingly heard about (there isn't any really)

It was pretty nothingy and she isn't ESPECIALLY LIKEABLE, whoever she is
Her no-Oscar nom for :eyes: ‘Hustlers’ didn’t move you to tears?

Well, I loved it :disco:

Obviously it was very carefully curated, but this is J.Lo, did anybody really expect her to go WARTS & ALL?

I was a little surprised how political it was. Obviously being vocally anti-Trump is hardly a risky move for an A-list celebrity, but I wasn't expecting it to be foregrounded quite so much.

The Oscar stuff was quite interesting to me. Obviously she wanted it badly - and why on earth shouldn't she? - but watching her have to navigate other people's expectations of her was one of the most compelling plot threads to me. It must be quite the headfuck. (Also, she did deserve the nomination and she was fucking robbed!)

The hints of her troubled relationship with her mother were also quite fascinating, though predictably they sort of drew a veil over it after a certain point.

Overall I think she came across somebody who is clearly very driven, intelligent and who holds herself to an extremely high standard. She certainly seems like she wouldn't suffer fools, but there's a reason she's achieved as much as she has. I struggle to think of another A-lister who is so open about the sheer amount of work it takes to get to her level and stay there for as long as she has.

Obviously there was also come HIGH CAMP in there. I loved the diamond encrusted water bottle during the dance rehearsals, all the shots of her beatifically surrounded by adoring children, and the admirable pettiness of basically making Trey Parker and Matt Stone the villains of the movie (after Trump) almost 20 years after that one South Park episode. :D

Also endlessly entertained by her ongoing campaign to rebrand Let's Get Loud as a PROTEST ANTHEM :disco:

This didn't wow me much. Ms Lopez obviously has gritty determination in spades but there's not much to like about her here. We keep getting told she was always informed she didn't have much acting or singing talent, so it's quite a chortle that the doc seems to prove exactly that point :D

She confesses early on that she's "not a political person" but the Superbowl perf has clearly got a very close eye on what Beyoncé did with hers (to better effect). The Shakira interaction/rivalry is minimal and most of the drama comes from the evil producers worrying about running time and the use of "caged" girls as props. Lots of it seems in questionable taste, including the stripper pole and having her daughter bang out Vietnam veteran critique Born In The USA when Springsteen himself turns down the gig :D

There's lots of focus on not getting that Oscar nomination, despite glamming up for lots of lesser awards shows trying to gain attention. Someone might have told her that Hustlers isn't all that special to save her all the bother!

All this is put to one side for the final 5 minutes when we jump dramatically forward in time to get Jen sanging at Biden's inauguration and having a sitdown with the CEO of Goldman Sachs to talk community investment. There's also a final rundown of her music and merch sales in case you hadn't got on board yet.

Oh well. I'm sure The Brand will SURVIVE!

This didn't wow me much. Ms Lopez obviously has gritty determination in spades but there's not much to like about her here. We keep getting told she was always informed she didn't have much acting or singing talent, so it's quite a chortle that the doc seems to prove exactly that point :D

She confesses early on that she's "not a political person" but the Superbowl perf has clearly got a very close eye on what Beyoncé did with hers (to better effect). The Shakira interaction/rivalry is minimal and most of the drama comes from the evil producers worrying about running time and the use of "caged" girls as props. Lots of it seems in questionable taste, including the stripper pole and having her daughter bang out Vietnam veteran critique Born In The USA when Springsteen himself turns down the gig :D

There's lots of focus on not getting that Oscar nomination, despite glamming up for lots of lesser awards shows trying to gain attention. Someone might have told her that Hustlers isn't all that special to save her all the bother!

All this is put to one side for the final 5 minutes when we jump dramatically forward in time to get Jen sanging at Biden's inauguration and having a sitdown with the CEO of Goldman Sachs to talk community investment. There's also a final rundown of her music and merch sales in case you hadn't got on board yet.

Oh well. I'm sure The Brand will SURVIVE!
It sounds DREADFUL! I’ll be watching it this evening.

We keep getting told she was always informed she didn't have much acting or singing talent, so it's quite a chortle that the doc seems to prove exactly that point :D
"I was always told I couldn't sing"

"When I was asked if I was a singer, I'd say no"

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

I'm waiting on the lambs to go to town on those little MORSELS on twitter

Bruce not answering J-Lo's calls was very Valerie Cherish promising Tom Selleck to play her husband on Room and Bored. My highlight was the producer telling her she has no artistry and "on the nose" (I feel like that pun has been right in front of me all these years, although I guess "on the 6" summed it all up well enough from the start). Let me state for the record that On the Floor is one of the most inexplicably humongous pop songs of all time and Hypnotico was the far bigger injustice than not getting praise for her female Magic Mike thing (never seen it - happy to be wrong). But for a woman whose pop culture career is basically the revenge fantasy of Mariah's ex husband, she's done incredible. Take her looks away and she's just ordinary and there is nothing wrong with that. Anyway, I missed the guy not knowing her so must have lost that part when falling asleep. I really did appreciate her Superbowl even more after that - I would have preferred it to be the sole focus as to me the Oscar thing was never going to happen for something of that nature. The mom really does look like Kym Sims - too bad we didn't get a "honey let me tell you something" out of her. Anyway, it was very interesting to see Kate Hudson on screen whilst supposing Lopez might get nominated - she too started with a good splash on the scene, but pursued similar rom coms and neither have had roles since that truly show what they may be capable of. And yes, true to form, the show was on the 6.

Now with all her stats, this is like her EPK. Where Kéllé Bryan leads (and neither do sing lead, ahem).

Take her looks away and she's just ordinary and there is nothing wrong with that.
this is so reductive and really just not true. there's value in being a performer and an entertainer. her vocal talent has never been her USP and that's fine cos she brings a lot more to the table.

I'd say she's also a capable actress but went down the Kate Hudson route of only ever making shit movies.

She's no Meryl but she has star quality in spades, to the point where she's totally watchable even when appearing in absolute guff. The Boy Next Door is one of my all-time trash favourites. :D

She really was genuinely great in Hustlers though. It was the kind of role that required the kind of STAR TURN that only somebody like she can bring. Far worse actors than her have been nominated for and won Oscars for far lesser performances.

My favourite star of all time is Rita Hayworth. A dancer first and foremost.

I did state quite clearly JLo has her highlights, but if I need to state more emphatically that her pop culture status once possessed a resonance not easily achieved, and most certainly not without enormous labour and talent, so be it.

anyone doubting Jennifer Lopez' vocal abilities needs to watch this short video that powerhouse vocalist Rita Ora has shared.

Truly POWERFUL STUFF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom