Jethro DEAD

To be honest I only knew of him because his stand-up DVDs were weirdly super popular when I worked at HMV. Not sure I ever saw him on TV.

I remember him on TV as a teen. Not sure if he may have been more popular in the West Country than across the nation generally, but I know my parents saw him a few times at the Hippodrome here. He was equally as offensive as the worst comedians of his era - just that he had that veneer of a bumbling old oaf which made it more palatable to some.

I remember him on TV as a teen. Not sure if he may have been more popular in the West Country than across the nation generally, but I know my parents saw him a few times at the Hippodrome here. He was equally as offensive as the worst comedians of his era - just that he had that veneer of a bumbling old oaf which made if more palatable to some.
I always thought he was a bit more family friendly, but I suppose that’s because I’ve only ever seen him doing cameos on game shows and never actually watched a second of his stand up.

I always thought he was a bit more family friendly, but I suppose that’s because I’ve only ever seen him doing cameos on game shows and never actually watched a second of his stand up.
I'm fairly sure I can remember vile material around AIDS particularly. It was just presented in a kind of avuncular way by a simpleton, so it didn't seem as vicious.

I'm fairly sure I can remember vile material around AIDS particularly. It was just presented in a kind of avuncular way by a simpleton, so it didn't seem as vicious.
Just googling and I can't find anything. Perhaps I'm wrong and misremembering. Apologies if so.

I did see someone describe him as a Wurzel Chubby Brown which fits though. And someone else say this, which perhaps explains @You Butter Watch Out and my differing comments.

He had two different comedy personas, quite similar to Jerry Sadowitz - you had the family friendly Jethro that was all 20 minute jokes about Denzel Penberthy and this train not stopping at Camborne and not a single curse or off-colour joke to be seen, and then you had the "TOO HOT FOR TV!" Jethro that was all cunts and black blokes with massive cocks. He would alternate the two when touring shows so you always had to be sure which Jethro you were going to see before buying a ticket.

Never heard of him, let alone knew if he was still alive.
Also someone else posted this, so perhaps he was a West Country phenomenon as a touring act for his more extreme material, and the family friendly, bumbling old yokel stuff got paraded on the Des O'Connor show and the like.

Whenever he would announce a tour I'd always guess what percentage of the dates would be both south AND west of Bristol. Sad that that's some fun I'll never have again.

Also someone else posted this, so perhaps he was a West Country phenomenon as a touring act for his more extreme material, and the family friendly, bumbling old yokel stuff got paraded on the Des O'Connor show and the like.

Whenever he would announce a tour I'd always guess what percentage of the dates would be both south AND west of Bristol. Sad that that's some fun I'll never have again.
Maybe like a West Country Chas 'n' Dave then? I remember my grandparents going to see them in concert and coming back with a horror story of their "filthy language" and "horrible stories" :D

A bit like my aunt did with Adele a few years ago :D

Just googling and I can't find anything. Perhaps I'm wrong and misremembering. Apologies if so.

I did see someone describe him as a Wurzel Chubby Brown which fits though. And someone else say this, which perhaps explains @You Butter Watch Out and my differing comments.

He had two different comedy personas, quite similar to Jerry Sadowitz - you had the family friendly Jethro that was all 20 minute jokes about Denzel Penberthy and this train not stopping at Camborne and not a single curse or off-colour joke to be seen, and then you had the "TOO HOT FOR TV!" Jethro that was all cunts and black blokes with massive cocks. He would alternate the two when touring shows so you always had to be sure which Jethro you were going to see before buying a ticket.

:o Genuinely quite shocked at this.

A lot of the comics of his era were like that tho' - a family friendly act that would keep them in 5 minute slots at the Palladium etc and in panto roles and then another one that was "a bit blue" i.e. absolutely horrid. In a way, it was part of being "professional" - know your audience and have either an act you can take anywhere ot different acts.

I did know of him, knew he was West Country but that's about as far as it goes.

How many odious 70s comedians are left alive? Is it just chubby? Surely he's due a heart failure.

I could certainly tell you he was someone who had shows that were available on video from Woolworths, but that's about IT. RIP though x

My ex-step dad and his parents used to like him and went to see his end of pier type “a bit of blue” shows a couple of times. I think I caught a bit of one of his DVDs once. Not funny in the slightest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom