Joker (Joaquin Phoenix does DC)

Who's laughing now?

• Total voters

Jark

User
DC's standalone Joker film premiered at Venice to phenomenal reviews.

75 on Metacritic and Phoenix is surely a strong Oscar contender. The film is a new origin story about mental health and how being a loner/loser made him into a monster. It looks so good. Gotham especially looks so sleazy and real-world.

hm, 75 is not a great score on metacritic. strange as i've seen nothing but rave headlines (phoenix is a lock for a nomination as this is going to be massive commercially to boot) even though i thought the trailer was meh.

personally, i'm completely bored of the joker character. how many times has it been done now?

Well you can see why. He's a bit of a loner who's a good guy really but girls won't listen to him so he goes on a MAD KILLING SPREE against the world that's out to get him. It's not TOO FAR REMOVED.

Last edited:
Everything I’ve seen and heard makes sound like a big turd and I’m dreading having to sit and watch a poor straight guy get rejected and go on a rampage.

so this won the Golden Lion in Venice, making a Best Picture nomination a very serious possibility :o

Saw it this evening; it’s very dark and intense. Phoenix is brilliant in this (even when he’s overplaying).

Down to 57 on Metacritic. The reviews I've seen are mostly mixed. And some rather savage.

Backlash or not it's smashing October records with a 92m opening in the US :disco: can't wait to see it

It's being either hammered or adored. I hate that in 2019. "divisive" is seen as a positive.

I actually liked this a fair bit more than I was expecting. I don't think it (intentionally) paints him as some kind of incel hero at all - it's clear throughout that he's enormously damaged and being failed by the system, and that his turn at the end is a direct consequence of that. It played to me much more like a modern tragedy than an action/comic book movie.

That said, I do think audiences will take a wide variety of different things from it based on their own points of view, as evidenced by one moment that made the entire audience in the cinema I saw it in howl with laughter aside from me and my friend, which was... uncomfortable.

Joaquin Phoenix is surely a lock for that Oscar unless the backlash grows too loud, he's astonishingly good and I think pitches a very difficult character with just the right mix of humanity and contemptibility. This might be the case where his performance actually elevates the screenplay and direction and makes it something better than it is on paper.

It played to me much more like a modern tragedy than an action/comic book movie.

That said, I do think audiences will take a wide variety of different things from it based on their own points of view, as evidenced by one moment that made the entire audience in the cinema I saw it in howl with laughter aside from me and my friend, which was... uncomfortable.

Absolutely, that’s how I think it’s meant to be too. Judging from the demography of the audience, I think they were in for an action movie and this wasn’t.

If you’re refering to the dwarf, then it’s the same moment that made the audience here laughed hysterically.

I note The S*n have gone front page about Gary Glitter's music being used in the film. If so, that's an edgelord move too far for me. Is Joker II going to be soundtracked by LostProphets and produced by Phil Spector?

(PS - I know, they're American and they won't know who Lostprophets are but surely Glitter's conviction would be known if one of his songs was well-known enough for use?)

I think they have no idea. Gary Glitter makes a lot of money unaware Americans.

Yeah apparently he makes an average of $250,000 per year on it from use in US sports coverage.

Also, I was genuinely convinced that he was dead.

Yeah apparently he makes an average of $250,000 per year on it from use in US sports coverage.

Also, I was genuinely convinced that he was dead.
No that's other celebrity paedophiles.

Blimey. That'll be why he's been able to keep such a low profile in-between arrests and jail stints. No wonder people think he's dead.

What an awful dull basic movie. Terrible script.

I need a moratorium on world war movies and damaged white men.

Very dull and badly written.

I’m just annoyed I got DUPED into watching ANOTHER FUCKING BATMAN REBOOT.

I have zero interest in this. It was between this and Judy tonight and I'll be going to the latter!!

This is absolutely decimating all expectations at the box office - currently has 544m globally after two weekends (budget 55m). That's insane for an R rated film.

I thought this was good. I liked the fact that it was more of a social commentary and not too much HAPPENED, it almost builds and builds when the Joker is 'born' and I think that's what it set out to do. I don't like full out action films so was more up my street, some people expecting a Batman type film would have been perplexed though :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom