Judas & The Black Messiah

Who's the lead?

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
Watched Judas & The Black Messiah last night.

Very good, but I feel like this award season is just crashingly depressing. Are there ANY light-hearted films among the Best Picture nominees? Even Promising Young Woman is pretty BLEAK, really.

Last edited:
Watched Judas & The Black Messiah last night.

Very good, but I feel like this award season is just crashingly depressing. Are there ANY light-hearted films among the Best Picture nominees? Even Promising Young Woman is pretty BLEAK, really.

funny you should say that because I had a browse for them last night and couldn’t find anything I was in the mood for and ended up watching Late Night instead :D which was predictable and a total Prada rip off but Emma Thompson was, as always, fabulous.

funny you should say that because I had a browse for them last night and couldn’t find anything I was in the mood for and ended up watching Late Night instead :D which was predictable and a total Prada rip off but Emma Thompson was, as always, fabulous.
Have you seen Long Shot with Charlize?

Have we got individual topics to discuss some of these films AT LENGTH? I also watched 'Judas' last night and really enjoyed it, although I'm still not sure whether we were supposed to be sympathetic to the main character or not :D But to be fair that's great filmmaking and UNUSUAL for an American film to be so AMBIGUOUS. I read up about the guy in real life afterwards and there was clearly a lot of internal conflict going on.

Oh and now I see that both Daniel and LeKeith are nominated for supporting actors for this film? LOL what a joke the whole thing is. Who are they supporting, the white cop character? :eyes:

Have we got individual topics to discuss some of these films AT LENGTH? I also watched 'Judas' last night and really enjoyed it, although I'm still not sure whether we were supposed to be sympathetic to the main character or not :D But to be fair that's great filmmaking and UNUSUAL for an American film to be so AMBIGUOUS. I read up about the guy in real life afterwards and there was clearly a lot of internal conflict going on.

For me the criticism I have against the movie is how young they actually were (17 & 21) and we weren’t shown that, which makes Fred Hampton a lot more impressive and the Lakeith character a lot more sympathetic. I think we can just add this one to the J Edgar Hoover list of monstrous things he did.

For me the criticism I have against the movie is how young they actually were (17 & 21) and we weren’t shown that, which makes Fred Hampton a lot more impressive and the Lakeith character a lot more sympathetic. I think we can just add this one to the J Edgar Hoover list of monstrous things he did.

Yeah I noticed that too! Although I have to say I'm totally IN LOVE with Lakeith's LACONIC LOOKS, which were exploited to perfection in Sorry to Bother You and again, here. He always looks MORALLY CONFLICTED, so in that sense he was great casting.

OOOH NEW THREAD. I say this is an 8. I was thoroughly entertained and the film kept a good pace and was extremely slick all the way. My only (gay) complaint is similar to many of these biopics were women are PERIPHERY ACCESSORIES and behave in very predictable BECHDELIAN ways - although in fairness this film had one KICK-ASS GUN-TOTING NO-NONSENSE lady who totally owns one of the best sequences in the film :disco:

Reactions: VoR
I was looking forward to this one, and I found it quite disappointing. The performances are terrific, but I found the screenplay lacking and the filmmaking was just dull cookie cutter stuff - visually disengaging. Outside of a couple of really dynamic scenes, it lacks energy and propulsion - and given the subject matter that was very surprising.

Liked it. Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith were phenomenal. A bit ploddy in places but I liked the real footage of interviews and recreation of certain events.

I was looking forward to this one, and I found it quite disappointing. The performances are terrific, but I found the screenplay lacking and the filmmaking was just dull cookie cutter stuff - visually disengaging. Outside of a couple of really dynamic scenes, it lacks energy and propulsion - and given the subject matter that was very surprising.

Saw this last night. Exactly my thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom