Justin Timberlake - Everything I Thought It Was (6th Album) + Selfish (1st Single)

The longer snippet slaps. This one was co-produced by Calvin Harris. I may be back on board.

Calvin in his warm disco bag is always a pleasure but the song sounds a bit shrill

well I liked the first single but this sounds more first singal to me! :disco:

SO WHO REMEMBERS JUSTIFIED???? :):)

don't need that at all

Out now

GIkFPguWoAAZ0vg

The only song that jumped out for me was Liar

…and the NSYNC one is bland but nice. JC :love:

I'm not listening to the rest of it but No Angels is quite good.

Cause you're looking like gas and I'm looking for mileage though :D

Watching him do Sexyback on Tinydesk had so much Uncle Dickhead energy...

I shall look forward to diving into the album though.

• Haha
Reactions: dUb
I enjoyed the album :shock:

Could do without some of the bloat ("Technicolor" is the worst song ever?) but constantly bopped

I need a couple of tracks just to spotify from this LONG PLAY. Is the N sync one at least a bop?

The first day streams were a bit disastrous. Did less than half of what Man of the Woods did with 18 tracks, although MOTW was boosted by the Superbowl (and not blockbuster numbers in the first place).

TrackSong 3/15
01Memphis395,132
02F**kin' Up The Disco359,597
03No Angels846,543
04Play293,018
05Technicolor284,321
06Drown505,701
07Liar287,993
08Infinity Sex231,384
09Love & War212,101
10Sanctified217,518
11My Favorite Drug194,133
12Flame188,935
13Imagination159,049
14What Lovers Do151,947
15Selfish1,007,586
16Alone149,294
17Paradise314,691
18Conditions146,034

Album total first day5,944,977

I mean are they disastrous? He’s not operating at the level he once was. I don’t expect him to be doing Weeknd / Drake numbers at this stage. Look at J-Lo. I think only Beyonce is succeeding at a sustained level from the noughties icons…

He doesn't need to do Drake/Weeknd numbers but he could have debuted at least one song in the Global 200... it was a pretty high profile rollout for it to do completely nothing. "Selfish" did nice enough given the circumstances so I was expecting more.

Can anyone copy and paste the "article"? I'm not paying for the Telegraph. The album is fine and probably good for those it's intended for. Admittedly even the track I like has an unconvincing call and response section, but it's skippable at that point anyway.

Has nobody bothered with this then? :D

Listening now. Some of it is a bit cringey.

I'm not quite sure what he's going for with the album though. "Play" sounds like a "Sledgehammer" pastiche with less than 1% of the impact. There's smatters of trap soul and afrobeats but he just can't pull off current sounds. When he does stick to what he knows it all sounds a bit safe. His retro pop is still quite strong and I still like his voice but there isn't a "Filthy" or a "What Goes Around" on here.

I've saved the funky stuff and will go back to it later!

There's a song, I think it's Paradise that is note by note a carbon copy of Jordin Sparks' No Air (Feat. some asshole) and that's the problem with the whole record, song after song I go hmm this sounds like it would have belonged in Hard Candy or Loose or FutureSex and he keeps recycling beats 12+ odd years later; there are a couple of songs where you can sing the Love Sex Magic chorus over it :shock: What the hell happened here?

Not to mention it's full of geriatric Millennial quips like call backs during songs: "Hey Ladies!" and a female voice going "yeaaahh", and lyrics about getting down and doing drugs, I mean đź’€.

There's a song, I think it's Paradise that is note by note a carbon copy of Jordin Sparks' No Air (Feat. some asshole) and that's the problem with the whole record, song after song I go hmm this sounds like it would have belonged in Hard Candy or Loose or FutureSex and he keeps recycling beats 12+ odd years later; there are a couple of songs where you can sing the Love Sex Magic chorus over it :shock: What the hell happened here?

Not to mention it's full of geriatric Millennial quips like call backs during songs: "Hey Ladies!" and a female voice going "yeaaahh", and lyrics about getting down and doing drugs, I mean đź’€.

Any mention to "get nekkid" though?

This album sounds so DATED :D Honestly if someone told me they'd dusted it off the floor from the mid noughties I'd believe you. There's some tight production in here but the lyrics and vocals are often VERY CRINGEY.

I'm persisting though! :D

I like it because I pretend it's a bunch of Loose/Hard Candy leftovers Timbo had lying around somewhere so yes, it's very SAFE and takes me back to 2008.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom