Kacey Musgraves - Star-Crossed (fourth album)

lolly

Rowena? From Kuwait?
Kacey Musgraves has announced the release of her new album Star-Crossed and shared its title track.

The upcoming album - Kacey's fourth - will drop on September 10. It acts as the follow-up to 2018's acclaimed Golden Hour, which won the prestigious Grammy for Album of the Year and peaked in the UK's Official Albums Chart at Number 6, and one of the best-selling country albums in the UK of that year.

Taken as the first single from the album of the same name, star-crossed contains lush, Latin-inspired guitars and Kacey mournfully introduces the theme of the album, which will function as a three-act tragedy, in the style of classic Greek theatre and Shakespeare.

Written and recorded within three weeks, Star-Crossed will also be accompanied by a film, directed by Barbia Zeinali and co-written with the director and Kacey herself.

Running at 15 tracks long, the album re-united the country-pop superstar with her frequent collaborators Ian Fitchuk and Daniel Tashian.

According to a press release, the album "tells an extremely personal journey of heartache and healing and displays Musgraves continued growth as one of the finest singer-songwriters of our time.

Upon the album's release, fans in the UK will be able to watch its accompanying film on MTV.

See the full tracklist for Kacey Musgraves' star-crossed below:

1. star-crossed
2. good wife
3. cherry blossom
4. good times
5. if this was a movie...
6. justified
7. angel
8. breadwinner
9. camera roll
10. easier said
11. hookup scene
12. keep lookin' up
13. what doesn't kill me
14. there is a light
15. gracias la vida

wow. that album cover is all sorts of horrid :D

here's a nice fanmade for the more discerning

tNXkYQX.png

Omg! I can’t listen right now but I love her so much and this is so exciting. All three of her other albums are great and her live show was one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to

I’m curious about the film but I trust she has a vision

anyway I like everything about Kacey except that I sometimes find her voice a little plain and lacking colour. I'm very prepared to move past that and start stanning if this album is good.

star-crossed is quite lovely and introduces the "three act" thing very well. always here for a pop queen serving CONCEPT.

SO EXCITED!

I love her. star-crossed is obviously GORGEOUS.

Reactions: RJN
I properly loved her last album, the two before it were also good and as @RJN said her live show was fantastic, she seems like a real sweetheart with a wicked sense of humour. I wasnt expecting this so soon.

Very much here for Kacey's high concept break-up opus. The Latin guitars and subtle electronics on starcrossed are an unexpected but stunning introduction.

I've gone for the signed CD from Amazon. They all have to take the marker in hand these days to try and sell those albums.

Justified is good, but that production is a touch muted. It doesn't quite go anywhere. still very excited to see what this album has in store.

It's out!

It's more subdued than Golden Hour but it's really quite a beautiful, if gloomy, break-up album.

I listened to this first thing today. was quite excited. it's... good, but as the good sis GNL says, extremely understated. there's really nothing here that demands the attention in an instant way and I can see why Justified was the single.

cherry blossom stood out in the first half, but the back half is stronger. love the one-two of easier said and hookup scene. the Japanese flute on there is a light is :disco:

breadwinner probably has the most bite lyrically but musically it's so tame. a lot of the album feels a bit tame... a bit more BITE might not have gone amiss. let's see!

I definitely agree that this is more subdued than expected, especially when the title track seemed to suggest a more dramatic tone. There are some lovely intimate songs here though and the flute on the jazzy disco of there is a light is :disco: indeed.

Watched the film thing last night as well, which was fine I guess. She did look especially stunning for gracias a la vida.

I’ve been alternating between this and Aaliyah most most the weekend.

Camera roll and Hookup scenes are the two standouts for me. It does need a bit of time to bed in, after all, Tokyo wasn’t built in a day.

Reactions: GNL
Damn this album is good. Cherry Blossom is my particular favorite at the moment.

Star Crossed is very cinematic.
Justified sounds so distinctly 2000.

I'm trying so hard to remember who it is she reminds me of, but she kinda gives me Jewel vibes.

Last edited:
How is Moopy not collectively gagging over "there is a light" right now? Could a song be any more fabulous?

I honestly didn’t love it in first listen, but I’m thinking it might grow on me. I already liked the second half more than the first

I still got tickets to see her when she comes here and can’t wait. When I saw her tour her last album it was in a smaller venue, but this time it’s an arena

there is a light is pure city-pop. very kitschy and Japanese, I'm sure @Diddy would be a fan. it's quite a breath of fresh air coming after 13 very understated tracks.
Truly! Although I was getting Hustle/Andrea Connection soft disco vibes from it.

God that setup is such a delicious visual TREAT. loving the Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet HOMAGE!

how are we feeling about this album now, littles mussies?

I'm playing it almost daily and finding it to be such an easy listen. I would only describe keep lookin' up and what doesn't kill me as (listenable) filler.

01 hookup scene
02 cherry blossom / justified
03 easier said
04 there is a light
05 angel

oh but it's all so good. I may be engaging stan mode.

I’m still listening regularly. I love it.

Camera roll is my favourite.

Grammy noms coming in now and camera roll is twice nominated, for best country song and performance! :disco:

Looking to debut at number one on the hot 100. I like it but don’t love it yet. She sounds great. I like Zach Bryan too but he hasn’t wowed me

• Love
Reactions: dUb
Yes YAY for Kacey getting a number 1, and for it displacing that Richmond thing and keeping out those other two country songs.

I really like the song and the album seemed decent on first listen too. His back catalogue already seems sprawling/messy though. I do think he doesn't seem that distinct from other more niche alt-country types (and there is a bit of a Springsteen influence in his downtempo gloomy story songs too). Guess the military backstory helped.

Oh I love his voice! Haven't heard him before

Her voice is a bit on the shrill side for me I fear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom