Kay Mellor DEAD

VoR

Take it or leave it
Creator of Band of Gold, Fat Friends and more. Mother of actress Gaynor Faye.

Kay Mellor, who wrote hit series including ITV’s Girlfriends, Band of Gold and The Syndicate, has died aged 71, it has been announced.

Leeds-born Mellor, who was also best known for penning series including Fat Friends which aired from 2000 until 2005 and was turned into a musical, died on Sunday.

A spokesperson for her TV production company, Rollem Productions, said: “It is with profound sadness that we announce the untimely and sudden passing of our beloved friend, mentor and colleague Kay Mellor on Sunday 15th May 2022.

“We have lost a phenomenal talent and a true luminary. We ask that you please respect the privacy of the family and friends at this time.”

This will be big news here in Leeds, she's quite beloved. There always seems to be a production of something she's had a hand in running in at least one of our local theatres.

I was about to say I had no idea she was so old but from a quick google I see I was thinking of her daughter (now it’s clear why Gaynor Faye was in everything she wrote)

RIP :( A TV legend for Band of Gold alone never mind everything else. I was actually thinking about it recently after seeing Cathy Tyson winning a BAFTA the other week, maybe it's time for a rewatch.

Oh no! I enjoyed a lot of things she wrote, most recently The Syndicate. A big loss to the tv World. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom