Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

straightorbroken

rebel heart
Kim-Wilde---Love-Is-1992-Front-Cover-14390.jpg

The artistic migration of Kim Wilde from Debbie Harry variant to glossy wind-machine pop goddess suffered somewhat with 1990s Love Moves relative sales slump, but the singer enjoyed something of a minor commercial rebirth with her 8th album Love Is in 1992. Kim’s pop professionalism fuses real pop sounds onto her stock and trade electronic numbers. Buying herself a hit single, Love Is Holy saw the singer damage the UK top 15 for the first time in 5 years with a Belinda Carlisle reject. The Girls Aloud esque Who Do You Think You Are possesses a retro flair. The dated I Believe In You is a huge favourite with its fast pace, surly verses and naff production. The plaintive rock-ballad Million Miles Away might be an A-Ha rip-off, but happens to be an excellent one. Ill-chosen single Heart Over Mind would have been a nice Wilson Phillips album closer. Try Again is those closest she gets to reaching the heights of her best ballads Can You Hear It and Someday. When Kim gets distressed about the world’s problems I usually give her the wide berth, but whatever newspaper headline she read that day must have really struck a chord. Weepy closer Too Late lights the same match twice, though it does have that satisfying final track feeling. Left off for whatever reason, I've Found A Reason goes on the rampage, one of her best. Birthday Song reaches Mylene Farmer levels of greatness, it's another stunning outtake that's better than the unmentioned filler throughout the album.

Heart_Over_Mind-_Kim_Wilde.jpg

God I LOVE Who Do You Think You Are

The video is a tacky treat

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m3mBOHohw7c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It’s a really good album but nothing comes close to the lead single, which, as Belinda aping as it was, really is right up there with her very best.

And I prefer “Love Moves” really, which only bombed because of silly single choices.

I LIE AWAKE
Just to watch you breathe
Love it HOLY when you lay with ME
Love is HOLY baby STAY
With
Meee-e-e-e-e-e-eeeeeee---eeeeeeeeeee-eeeeee

I do properly love Million Miles Away. Nice to see it getting some love around the recent compilation too.

You have to love Kim being equally attached to a male model and a hangar door.

I'm guessing this was maybe just a few years too late as I'm always incredulous it wasn't a massive hit for her. It's so energetic and elegant / nothing simple or defined.

Also, are the videos on Pop Don't Stop (Greatest Hits) in any way HD? I've not dusted off my DVD player to have a Kim afternoon of it yet.

Also, are the videos on Pop Don't Stop (Greatest Hits) in any way HD? I've not dusted off my DVD player to have a Kim afternoon of it yet.

I've only watched a handful of videos (started with disc 2 for the Kim interviews - she is typically lovely but strange set up and odd lighting) and I would say picture quality is a bit mixed.

I love both the Loves, in fact they sort of blur into one in a "career downturn because they're not Close" kind of way :disco:

Even at the time, I thought giving them both such similar titles was a bit stupid.

I love both the Loves, in fact they sort of blur into one in a "career downturn because they're not Close" kind of way :disco:

Even at the time, I thought giving them both such similar titles was a bit stupid.

Oh come on- it wasn’t as if anyone knew Love Moves ANYWAY. It must have sold about seventy copies :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom