Kylie - Magic

This is certainly a more divisive song whereas Say Something received almost unanimous praise from fans.

I think streaming will be the key. It will be interesting to see how it compares because radio friendly or not, it's still the SECOND single from the album so may lack momentum.

The chorus is an ear worm and does actually sound like it has potential to cross over in a "Wow" type of fashion. I definitely hear the "Chained to the Rhythm" comparisons but also a bit dare I say it "Smile" by KP.

Reactions: SDF
I don't like that video much. Some wonderful LEWKS and SneerKylie is quite fun but I was hoping for outdoors, sunshine and Kylie on a BIKE, for some reason :D But I guess in the age of Queen C we take what we can.

Still loving the song, though if I HAD to rank it would be:

1. Say Something
2. Magic

I like the single, I can hear the hints of Chained To The Rhythm and also elements of some of The Real Thing’s music in there.

Overall I like both the singles so far but they feel somewhat generic to me. I know most weren’t overly fussed on ‘Golden’ but I think she took a step forward on that record as the songs felt quite personal, these lyrics could be sang by anyone.

You think Say Something is generic?
She's in a happy place in her life. She was hardly likely to sing about morbidity again...

Magic IS generic though, granted.

You think Say Something is generic?
She's in a happy place in her life. She was hardly likely to sing about morbidity again...

Magic IS generic though, granted.
Who said anything about morbidity? I do like something a little more substantial than “do you believe in magic?” though.

The video is NOT GREAT but I won't stand for this DISSING of Sophie Muller whose RESUMÉ includes some of the most ICONIC videos of the last FORTY YEARS of pop music. Have a WORD!

Also I'm a bit SHOCKED that Moopy is FAT-SHAMING Kylie who would DIE on the battlefield fighting anyone attacking her GAYS. The SHAME of it all!

She's not even remotely carrying anything that could be described as fat FFS!

Sophie Muller has an incredible videography - so many great Eurythmics/Annie Lennox clips, Don't Speak for No Doubt, Trouble by P!nk, Murder On The Dancefloor, Freak Like Me, Gwen's Cool (one of my all-time faves) and Early Winter, Today The Sun's On Us among literally countless others... she's one of the greatest ever.

none of which negates the fact that her work for Kylie is unfortunately crap. Creative partnerships need chemistry and there's none there.

I mean, it could be due to the fact that it looks like she had about TWENTY QUID and A RING LIGHT in some SOHO BASEMENT to WORK HER MAGIC.

But even a video as seemingly resplendent as Stop Me From Falling just wasn't THAT great in hindsight (in my opinion). They clearly had the moolah for that since they shot it in Cuba.

For someone who it's widely reported of as being rare (but not impossible) to take a bad photograph of, Sophie Muller seems to capture all the wrong angles where Kylie is concerned. There are parts of SMFF where she looks less than flattering.

The Golden video is also an abomination. For someone so stunning she looks terrifying in parts.

Last edited:
The video was shot in Fabric apparently not that it even matters.

Ok in the interest of LIGHT-HEARTED DISCUSSION I've googled this video - are you saying they went to Cuba to shoot a video in a basement that could have easily been in THORTON HEATH? Something smells FISHY. There's also a hell of a lot of LIVE CONCERT FOOTAGE in that video... she's obviously going to look a bit rougher than in a music video, is that what your complaint about her capturing "wrong angles"?

The whole video looks EVEN CHEAPER than the one for Magic so I'm not sure there was a lot of moolah for it (even if they were in Cuba - was she on holiday there or what?).

There's also just no sense of style or anything in her videos for Kylie - compare and contrast the SMFF video above (beautiful sets, locations etc) with Gwen's Cool (ditto) and see what a difference it makes for a music video to have a distinct directorial style and not just feel like a bunch of shots

Edward means this one:

There are two SMFF videos I think!

OMG :disco: :disco: :disco:

I hadn't seen this before and maybe it's my LATIN BLOOD but how can anyone describe this video as nothing but TREMENDOUS! It makes the song about 200 times better, makes you want to GET UP AND DANCE, she frankly looks like she's having the time of her life and you even get a KYLIE STAGE DIVE at the end :disco:

There's also just no sense of style or anything in her videos for Kylie - compare and contrast the SMFF video above (beautiful sets, locations etc) with Gwen's Cool (ditto) and see what a difference it makes for a music video to have a distinct directorial style and not just feel like a bunch of shots

I mean you are comparing a LATIN MIX video they squeezed out for Pipo and a bunch of South American gayz to what I consider to be one of the BEST MUSIC CLIPS OF ALL TIME, it's a bit unfair. I bet the budget in both was astronomically different and personally I think the Kylie one is PERFECT for what it sets out to be.

I’m BORED of the Kylie fat jokes. They weren’t funny in the first place and it’s gone on too long.

(and no, I’m not offended or believe anyone was actually fat shaming her)

Anyway it seems we are stuck with her for the duration of the Disco campaign because she is listed as a "visual director" for this era (whatever that means).

Rumours abound that we'll be getting a third single at the time of the album's release. I'd like an outdoor one please.

I actually quite like the artwork. I imagine the actual shot was a little plain which is why they jazzed it up a bit.

I take it back. NOT PLAIN AT ALL:

IMG-1854.jpg

I want to personally thank Kylie for making the single covers so hideous that I don't actually feel like opening my purse for once.

Reactions: SDF
More than ever in these hard times that are hard, I'm looking to Kylie's hard face (no judgement, it's a beautiful shield any Sheila over 35 would say more than something to have) for elegant campy escapism and glitter-ball gazing nostalgia.

What a classy manoeuvre these last 2 songs have been, they're so rich and understated. Neither appear to outdo her back catalogue and yet they sneak right up alongside them as new Kylie staples.

I do like this new video, but she's not the best mover here :) Kylie has stuck around so long and been so, so consistent that absolutely no one is near this standard anymore.

Reactions: COB
Weren't you a bit meh about Say Something too? Not looking good for the album as far as lolly's concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom