Labour (and Conservative) Party SPLIT

Ash Sarkar - same woman who told Piers Morgan "I'm literally a communist". She's ace (in general).

Oh that one!! They all look the same to me.

My favourite line is from Chris Williamson saying Labour have never been more united....

UMMMM......?!?!?!?!?!

:D

So the rumour mill suggests there will be 3 Tory departees after PMQs.

Obviously they’re still SMALL as a party (or whatever they are) but is there a chance it could snowball?

What would be a tipping point in terms of membership where they could build momentum?

So, presumably the Independent Group, including the former Tories, would vote against the Government in a confidence motion? I wonder if they've actually discussed that scenario amongst themselves.

The Lib Dems need to get on board with this and join the 11 to make a new party, disbanding the current Lib Dems in the process. But they need someone strong to join them as they are currently without a strong leader.

Can’t imagine it’ll be too long before Chuka puts himself forward for that :rolleyes:

I wonder if this is the first female-dominated party in the commons. Aside from Caroline Lucas.

I think the threat of deselection in her constituency played a massive part, to be honest.

I know it's uncouth to repost your own posts but Anna Soubry's voting record really wasn't out of step with the Tories. She was good at playing an exasperated moderate in TV interviews but her opposition to Brexit has always seemed like it was based on it being bad for big business, not workers' rights.

I get that everything is being gradually sucked into the insatiable gaping maw of Brexit but seriously, look at these mythical helpful Tories' votes on other stuff first, the "moderate" shit is absolute posturing and always will be.

6NH4Gpm.png

yaaaas Anna, slay queen

Oooh, as much as they fucked up with the whole "funny tinge" piece of idiocy, it could be fun if this snowballs - 3 or 4 more Tories and 2 more Labour - then the Lib Dems throw in their lot. The DUP are then out on their arse and the fun starts. Needs a couple more breakaway Tories to work, however.

This could even be the breakdown of party politics as we know it.

I think the threat of deselection in her constituency played a massive part, to be honest.

Well she's been targeted by offshore tax cheat Arron Banks and his repulsive Leave.EU mob.

Haven't we been here before and that left us with the Lib Dems? It feels less like a revolutionary moment, more a bit of history repeating.

Haven't we been here before and that left us with the Lib Dems? It feels less like a revolutionary moment, more a bit of history repeating.

This feels different to me, although in fairness, I wasn't politically conscious during the formation of the SDP. The split is now cross-party and growing. If this takes, we could have something major, especially if, as has been stated above, they can conjure up a strong, charismatic leader from somewhere.

I have grave concerns about their business set-up and nothing that has happened today has alleviated any of them.

I really can't see many Conservative voters supporting this new group. The grassroots is overwhelmingly pro-Leave, they hated cosy Blairite social liberalism even when it was fashionable and Chuka Umunna is the epitome of the London elite stereotype. It's just going to erode the Labour vote, especially if they go for marginal seats.

I'll never understand some liberal commentators' John McCain-style obsession with these "reasonable Tory" politicians. Brexit has made it even worse.

I'm not sure that I can see a stable, centrist party forming out of this. It seems like the Labour defectors would be happy re-joining Labour if Corbyn, McDonnell and the more extreme leftists of their activists were to stop being a force in the party. Ultimately Corbyn's policies, at least based on the 2017 manifesto, aren't all that radical or anything that I couldn't see a centre-left moderate supporting. In the same way, if the Tories manage to replace May with someone who isn't a swivel-eyed Brexit loon, I'm sure their defectors would be at least as keen to scuttle off home.

I suppose there’s no chance of the dreadful Kate Hoey fucking off to join this lot, since she’s a Brexiteer :gross:

Sad to see Big Tinge already going after this brave new obliquely-funded group. There's definitely an article to be written about how centrists have embraced conspiracy theories in the last few years. At least they haven't started blaming Putin yet.

I literally don't know what to think of all this.

On one hand I hope they pose a threat and bring the main two parties back to the centre. On the other, they have every possibility of derailing the admittedly low chance of Labour getting into government.

To be honest, the policies that the Corbyn Labour party have are brilliant, but so many of him and his cronies seem like nasty fucking cunts. Yes to the policies, no to the methods.

As for the Tories, well it goes without saying the pandering to the far right of the party has been revolting to see. I'd be amazed if more don't jump ship. If the UK political system wasn't so deeply rooted, the party system could split several ways, having been fully exposed by Brexit.

What are these people's policies even going to be? Like, I get Umunna is basically a Tory, but how does Luciana Berger match up with the FULLY EVIL Anna Soubry?

Are they mostly against brexit? I know SOUBRY is, shes the MP for my home town and the local SPOTTED group on Facebook is going batshit.

Pretty sure they're all anti-Brexit? I could be wrong though.

They all are for now, but some of the other potential movers are pro-Leave I think.

I'm glad he's fucked off, he was probably going to lose next time around anyway. I think he won by about 20 votes here last time. Bring on an actual Labour MP and not someone who spends all their time being a bitch on Twitter.

(all caps :daf: still works)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom