LAST CHRISTMAS IS #1

Santa Baby also peaked at #31 and Feliz Navidad got into the top 40 for the first time.

Poised for the OCC to bring in new chart rules before next Christmas. But then I think I've thought that the last few years...

There will be a campaign to get Fairytale Of New York to #1 next year, I'm sure.

Breaks the record for the longest time to reach number one.

Moves Like Jagger now claims the record for best selling #2.

Oh, I wonder what the bestselling #2 of all time is now? Perhaps it is The Pogues. Or Father Abraham and The Smurfs.

Breaks the record for the longest time to reach number one.

Moves Like Jagger now claims the record for best selling #2.

Arse. I would have preferred Father Abraham.

It went top 10 in the US for the first time too.

In both cases, DESERVED. My absolute number one Christmas song

Father Abraham/ All-4-One/ Right Said Fred/ Pogues/ Maroon 5 hosting a HOT NO.2 PARTY.

And Michael Bublé the #1 album. One day of streaming dominated the chart in a way nobody really saw coming.

If you take out all the Christmas Songs, Little Mix would be #1!

Sadly I think it's more likely that Ed or Ariana will get #1 next week, but it'd be lovely if Sweet Melody snuck a week in there. What was their last chart topper?

It went top 10 in the US for the first time too.

In both cases, DESERVED. My absolute number one Christmas song
Oh wow. Amazed that it has neither been top 10 before and equally that it is held in any regard in the US in the 2020s.

Oh wow. Amazed that it has neither been top 10 before and equally that it is held in any regard in the US in the 2020s.

Other than Mariah, it's the most popular Christmas song not from the 50s/60s. Christmas songs weren't allowed to chart until recently for some reason

Other than Mariah, it's the most popular Christmas song not from the 50s/60s. Christmas songs weren't allowed to chart until recently for some reason
If we think the UK charts are a mess now, then I'd say look at the US charts pretty much since airplay was included.

Poised for the OCC to bring in new chart rules before next Christmas. But then I think I've thought that the last few years...

I do wonder whether they may look to change it. A holiday chart seems like a good idea, but how would you begin to classify something like ‘Stay Anither Day’?

The lockdown inspired early Christmas helped, but streaming was up consistently and significantly throughout the whole period. Is that due to people being at home working, and it will fall back to more 'normal' levels next time?

I really do think that the OCC will decide to exclude all the old Christmas songs from the main chart at some point.

I do wonder whether they may look to change it. A holiday chart seems like a good idea, but how would you begin to classify something like ‘Stay Anither Day’?

Just make it a heritage chart for songs older than whatever period. Jan-Nov Ed Sheeran will have it sewn up probably, and Mariah and Wham can squabble over December.

If we think the UK charts are a mess now, then I'd say look at the US charts pretty much since airplay was included.

Totally. Although I guess when single sales completely died, pre-iTunes, radio being included was what made it somewhat relevant. Some chart positions (especially from the 90s and 2000s) really don't match with how big I felt a song was

Michael Buble's physical sales this week must be nonexistent, right? Nowhere was open, and surely nobody in their right mind bought it after Friday?

Michael Buble's physical sales this week must be nonexistent, right? Nowhere was open, and surely nobody in their right mind bought it after Friday?
He's not on the physical chart, several other Christmas albums are however :bad:

I'd actually quite like it if Fairytale of New York NEVER MADE IT

SERVES YOU RIGHT FOR GETTING SNIPPY ABOUT BEING BEATEN BY TWO QUEENS AND A DRUM MACHINE YOU TOMBSTONE-MOUTHED TART :disco:

I note we don't have a best sellers of year list yet. Not that it's worth much.

At least an absolute synth banger will be at the top.

I wonder how many physical albums you had to sell to go top 100 this week?

Buble's total 'sales' were just over 10,000 to hit #1, which is dismal.

Does "Last Christmas" finally getting the nod over Mariah show that people were feeling a bit more glum this year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom