Last film you saw at the cinema before they closed?

I’d go in a heartbeat once something I wanted to watch came on. Might go to the Inception re-release next month to watch The Dune trailer :disco: (and then leave)

I really dislike this hype surrounding Tenet. Nolan and the studio for the delay and the online hoopla thinking it’s somehow the only film to “save” cinema. It doesn’t sound all that exciting.

It looks more boring than ALL his other films combined! And that’s a FEAT!

I dunno, I think it's quite admirable/romantic how committed he is to the form of his films and the environment he wants them to be seen in. It'll go down as the film most affected by the pandemic and by the time I see it, I'm sure the novelty of just being there will carry me past whatever shortcomings it may have.

Yep, Tenet is definitely the film that I may actually risk death for. I've loved a few of Nolan's films, so I'm really looking forward to it. It feels like one of those films that really should be seen for the first time on a big screen.

Reactions: dUb
How come? I've not loved every Nolan film, but he sure as hell understands what pure cinema is, more than most directors today.

I just find most of his films very po-faced and miserable, yet some people talk about him like he's the next Hitchcock or something. The Prestige is the only one I could say I enjoyed watching.

I just find most of his films very po-faced and miserable, yet some people talk about him like he's the next Hitchcock or something. The Prestige is the only one I could say I enjoyed watching.

Hmm, I actually hated The Prestige. "Very po-faced and miserable"? It's hard to inject humour into Dunkirk or potential end-of-the-world scenarios like Interstellar. I love that his films don't insult the audience by feeling they have to "lighten the mood" or have gags. I can't bear that sort of thing personally. Plus many of his films have absolutely incredible, original and highly cinematic imagery. It sounds like you're being a bit "Oh lots of people love his films, so I'll hate on them because they're popular". By the way, I adore Hitchcock and the majority of his films, but I wouldn't dream of even comparing them.

Hmm, I actually hated The Prestige. "Very po-faced and miserable"? It's hard to inject humour into Dunkirk or potential end-of-the-world scenarios like Interstellar. I love that his films don't insult the audience by feeling they have to "lighten the mood" or have gags. I can't bear that sort of thing personally. Plus many of his films have absolutely incredible, original and highly cinematic imagery. It sounds like you're being a bit "Oh lots of people love his films, so I'll hate on them because they're popular". By the way, I adore Hitchcock and the majority of his films, but I wouldn't dream of even comparing them.
Having a witty script with rounded characters isn't insulting the audience. Alfonso Cuaron, Del Toro, David Fincher, Sam Mendes, plus all of the "New Hollywood" era directors still working today etc. all manage to make their films highly entertaining (obviously in my opinion) without insulting their audience too.

Honestly, Inception was a serious snooze fest, and all I got at the time was "oh you just didn't understand it". Now THAT I found insulting.

I don’t get the hype over Nolan, like the movies are ok (I personally hate his Batman movies) and they’re a fun time at the movies but the way he’s described as the savior of cinema makes me roll my eyes.

I will go watch Inception if they release it here only because I remember nothing from when I watched it at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom