Laura Mvula - Pink Noise (album out now) + Got Me

I haven't listened to anything of hers since her debut which I still dust off every now and then, so to hear she's funked up a bit and chanelling Janelle is exciting! I'm in love with that artwork as well. Definite top call out on America's Next Top Model vibes :disco:

I’ve enjoyed the two tasters so far so preordered the rather delicious looking orange vinyl of the album. I probably should have got the pink as the album is called ‘Pink Noise’.

I enjoyed Safe Passage but Church Girl is another step up in eighties synth pop/funk :disco:

Very much up for the album and I've never been so sold on her before. I wasn't completely convinced by her bare, slowed down I'm Still Waiting cover initially but those vocals in the chorus take me places:

I'm loving how these new songs are SO 80s, but still SO Laura Mvula too. I love her!

I've just noticed that the album isn't out until JULY

Church Girl is still marvellous anyway.

I've just noticed that the album isn't out until JULY

Church Girl is still marvellous anyway.
Yes, July seems ages away so I hope she will have some good promo slots lined up because she’s been on both Jools Holland and Graham Norton recently which would have served her better closer to the album release. Here’s last night’s GN performance.

I saw Church Girl on Graham Norton and I loved it :disco:

Added to the HSP (Halli Spotify Playlist) for Spring :disco:

fitting video for this song, I love it, one of my faves of the year so far and a vibe for spring :disco:

The video looks straight out of the late 80s at times. So many little references to that period in the camerawork and editing too! Hurry up July!

Devil imagery has always been a thing, but it's everywhere at the moment! :horny:

The Dmitri From Paris remix is fabulous, it’s like a mash up of old skool Prince, Janet & Whitney.

Wow it’s like someone threw “When Doves Cry” and “How Will I Know” in a blender :disco:

really looking forward to this album.

Am I the only one who reads this thread title and thinks of that weird meme "I want a church girl to go to church, And REEEAD her BIIIIBLE"

She and Jessie Ware seemed to click on that table manners show Jessie does. Interesting that she got dropped by her record label after her previous album via a six line email, a Kelle Bryan for the ‘10s. Hope this record does well for her.

I like this... more than Church Girl. actually I fucking love it immediately. it's very Dirty Computer. 10/10!

Got Me is SO GOOD and the production is just delicious. I like that it is a pop tilt but it is still interesting.

Someone needs to hurry up and tell me what that bassline is from. It’s driving me crazy.

This is bringing it even more/the same as Church girl.

When's the ALBAM OUT?

not sure about this one. it's nice, but feels a bit... meandering. her chorus vocal is also not soft enough for the song.

Yes this one is a hit of a miss. The chorus feels like it is more suited to his voice rather than what Laura is offering here. I agree she is definitely doing too much.

randomly hearing Safe Passage on Belgian radio right now. international smash!

although they only played one verse.

album out TODAY. Magical is #1 (!) on New Music Friday. reviews are all raves and it has 87 on Metacritic for now. happy to see the stars align for her. listening now :disco:

I was about to say - RAVE REVIEWS all round.

some awards coming her way I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom