Laura Mvula - Pink Noise (album out now) + Got Me

The album is very good indeed. Even though half of it was already released, the new songs are all so good I can't complain. Remedy and Magical... and then Before the Dawn is a big belting closer. It all feels very uplifting.

I've come round to it a bit but What Matters feels like the minor weak link here.

seems a little underwhelming.

I've dipped into this album and enjoyed Before the Dawn in particular, but Got Me is leagues ahead of everything else here. sometimes the production is more fun than the songs themselves.

Same position as her album five years ago. It's not amazing, but she's not exactly a hip hop hot chart sensation so it's okay
Cruelly beaten by hip hop hot chart sensations Olivia Rodrigo, Queen, Oasis, and the Beatles :(

Well Prince would have loved this album :(

it's not just the 80s sound. There's some sheer creativity on display here. OK yeah she should try and do different things with her voice sometimes, but this is still a very strong album.

I was listening to this yesterday and I also picked up on how one-note her vocal stylings are, but I'm not sure if it would have bothered me anyway or whether it was just because Moopy put it in my head. :evil:

So I never really got into this album (mostly because the production is much better than the vocal, as has been covered) but I am liking "Remedy" from the album tracks. It's probably one of the least shouty songs too. I do still really like the singles as well. So not a bad effort overall.

her streaming numbers are really appalling. it must be difficult to reposition yourself as a younger-sounding artist / move away from a more mom-friendly sound and get the fanbase, who don't typically stream, to come with you.

I've been dipping into the album - Remedy and in particular Before the Dawn (LOVELY production) are quite good, but nothing touches Got Me. which is on the PJ £20 Music Prize shortlist incidentally.

very much agreed on her voice. those vox can be very sledgehammer indeed.

somebody pinned everything on winning the Mercury

emotional clearly, but not a good look

Whew that is not the right take. There's no congratulations tweet to Arlo either.

a. There's only TWELVE NOMINEES, and she's done really well already to get nominated - plenty didn't
b. It's the MERCURYS, barely anybody cares about them these days :D

people thinking tongue in cheek is "tongue and cheek" will never not pound my tits with hot coals.

Oh I did read her initial tweet as "I GOT robbed" instead of "I GET robbed" which is what she actually tweeted, which changes the context slightly...but still this smacks of sour grapes.

She’s quite an emotional person and her Insta shows she’s very sensitive and self doubting. She’s the type that notices one negative comment rather than one hundred positive ones. It would’ve been nice for her to win in her third nomination.

She’s quite an emotional person and her Insta shows she’s very sensitive and self doubting. She’s the type that notices one negative comment rather than one hundred positive ones. It would’ve been nice for her to win in her third nomination.

It's a shame, as the Tweets such as the above are also more likely to be the ones people remember about her than any of her hundreds of business as usual ones (see also Nadine Shah's Mercury Tweets last year). The INNER SABOTEUR strikes again :basil:

Still love you though Laura, and congrats on your Popjustice £20 Prize WIN!

if we're being real, the album is a mixed bag and nowhere the near quality of Wolf Alice's record so I don't even feel she was the one DONE WRONG HERE!

But I guess they got their #1. now balanced out by Laura's £20 PJ prize.

I've unexpectedly felt the URGE to play this album from absolutely NOWHERE tonight (clearly it's MVULA TUESDAY in my house :disco: ) and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I previously did last time I listened. It's quite a LOUD and FUNKY album, so I clearly have to be in the mood for it.

Remedy in particular is excellent.

Her social media makes me feel so sad though. I actually think a bit differently in-regards to her tweets posted earlier in this thread now about the Mercury Prize. She is clearly cripplingly insecure and highly sensitive from years of self-perceived underperformance in the industry (the reality is there is an army of artists behind her who would kill to be in her position, not that she hasn't been treated badly by the industry).

She tweeted that the Pink Noise tour isn't selling so well a while back, and it made me feel so sad/guilty I will probably buy a ticket :D

I bought tickets for her TWO Glasgow dates she was doing this year which she then cancelled at random times.

Another date is going on sale tomorrow, I’m sorry Laura hun but I can’t deal with this level of chaos. I’M OUT.

Her tour isn't for months yet anyway :D
It's pretty normal for mid-size tours not to sell loads of tickets up front this far out, I don't know what I'm going to be doing NEXT WEEK never mind in September. DRY THOSE TEARS LAURA, it will all be fine xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom