Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
The new Paul Thomas Anderson, starring Alana from Haim and to a lesser extent the rest of Haim, plus Philip Seymour Hoffman's son and a bunch of fun Hollywood cameos.

LOVED this. Both the lead actors were fantastic, she was particularly hilarious and so naturalistic. All the celebrity cameos were great, my favourites being Bradley Cooper and the return of Bebe Glazer :disco:

Always refreshing when one of the big Oscar films is just uncompromisingly FUN and lighthearted. I was grinning more or less from start to finish. Fabulous soundtrack too. Probably the lightest film PT Anderson has ever done, and all the better for it. I read a review that compared it to prime Robert Altman, and I can totally see that. It has that vibe of the weird low-key 70s love stories he made with the likes of Bud Cort and Shelley Duvall.

By far the most enjoyable watch of awards season this year for me. Alana Haim was also quire the revelation. Perhaps because I wasn't expecting much from her.

I liked this and both leads are very watchable (Cooper Hoffman has all the charisma of his father, it’s uncanny) and I think it’ll grow on me once I read some reviews but it’s just a hang out movie which makes it hard for me to love it 100%

I thought this was a warm, fuzzy, nice good time. Haim was good but Hoffman was the real joy. It didn't leave me feeling any particular kind of way though and it had none of the vice like grip on me of Phantom Thread or Punch Drunk Love.

I could watch a whole film of Bradley Cooper's unhinged Jon Peters :disco:

I LOVED THIS FILM. a complete delight. Alana and Cooper Hoffman were both just fabulous. the sheer amount of running shots! :D loved the cameos too - Bradley Cooper and Harriet Sansom Harris in particular were :disco: as of course were Este and Danielle. it just felt like a really warm and lived-in world, so the relative lack of story wasn't problematic. 9/10.

I watched it again last night and loved it just as much the second time around. Utterly delightful.

and yes, I did notice the running thing too :D My favourite was all the shots of Alana just awkwardly running away from people at the end of a conversation.

That's quite amusing about the running thing because there's a running joke with Haim that they're always running/walking in their videos...

That's quite amusing about the running thing because there's a running joke with Haim that they're always running/walking in their videos...
which are also directed by PTA!

That’s the joke!

I can see this getting nothing at the Oscars, its not a front runner in any category.

I never got around to this when it came out but it's on iPlayer so I've finally watched it. What a charming film... Great performances, great direction, and a great soundtrack too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom