Lightning Seeds - Three Lions

Is it coming home?

• Total voters

Ludolph

PLAYING DIRTY
I remember 94-95 being excellent years for music. Mid-late 96 that it started to get a bit sour as all the Casts and Ocean Colour Scenes began to dominate (no wonder Spice Girls were so huge - we needed some COLOUR) but the combination of "Be Here Now" being shite and Radiohead making OK Computer pretty much swept it all away in '97.

My mate basically said this post WORD-for-WORD last night at the pub :shock:

Penelope

striking, unique, 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘦𝘳
I'd give it an 8 - incredibly well-constructed pop song and an absolutely *masterfully* written intro. Popular's write-up of it is superb and really well worth reading (as well as the one for the slightly desperate 1998 reboot).

Obviously I'd gladly never hear it again as a football chant. But then, find me any song that actually sounds better being chanted at 11pm at a bus stop than it does on record.

Penelope

striking, unique, 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘦𝘳
The one that's a bit out of nowhere is Sweet Caroline as an England football chant, zero lyrical modification or anything - where did THAT come from?

The rehabilitation of Atomic Kitten - Whole Again as a hymn to Gareth Southgate AGOG!

SilVoR Bells

Take it or leave it
I had forgotten that it knocked Gina G off #1 the first time around. Seems oddly fitting that one of the gayest #1s of the decade should be dethroned by the ultimate basic heterosexual anthem.

Anyway it’s fine. It has a nice melody and it’s not their fault that England fans are by and large absolute fucking pricks.

Loufoque

BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE
I had forgotten that it knocked Gina G off #1 the first time around. Seems oddly fitting that one of the gayest #1s of the decade should be dethroned by the ultimate basic heterosexual anthem.

Anyway it’s fine. It has a nice melody and it’s not their fault that England fans are by and large absolute fucking pricks.
The homophobia of it all.

GALA

rebel heart
I do have time for the Lightning Seeds, and this along with the apologetic Scottish counterpart from Del Amitri are atypically humble sentiments, but as soon as it fills the lungs of hooligans it becomes synonymous with something I really cannot bare. The best I'll say is that unlike Vindaloo, it certainly doesn't start off that way.

Last edited:

Ellie

Super talented triple threat
OMG. Before they decided on John Barnes, Gazza and Peter Beardsley also auditioned to do the World In Motion rap.

Beardsley barely sounds human

FetchFugly

closing in again
OMG. Before they decided on John Barnes, Gazza and Peter Beardsley also auditioned to do the World In Motion rap.

Beardsley barely sounds human

:D

They can't have been sober recording that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom