Lightning Seeds - Three Lions

Is it coming home?

• Total voters

Soldi

Πάμε put your hands up
Pronouns
He/him

Since it could potentially be COMING HOME this weekend, where do we rank this FOOTBALL ANTHEM :eyes::disco::england:

The amount of times I’ve ended up listening to this because Youtube has been slipping the FULL SONG in as an ad on its videos and I don’t realise until it’s too late. It’s a hate crime!

Angry Real Housewives GIF by Slice

Interested Ru Paul GIF

But seriously, it's really quite good. They did a great job of mixing the football chant-y sounding "it's coming home, it's coming home" with an actual catchy tune. One can't deny it gives you certain FEELS. Especially those of us who are young enough to remember the excitement and crushing disappointment of Euro 2020 1996.

The amount of times I’ve ended up listening to this because Youtube has been slipping the FULL SONG in as an ad on its videos and I don’t realise until it’s too late. It’s a hate crime!

Angry Real Housewives GIF by Slice

I HATE when they do that with songs!

and on the very rare occasion I actually like a song, it doesn’t show you the title because it’s not a normal video! What the point in THAT!!

I do wonder if Ian Broudie was essentially able to retire after this. It's his "Merry Christmas Everybody" - every tournament, it comes around. His output did become quite limited thereafter - he even made a folk album under his own name rather than "The Lightning Seeds", which is the kind of indulgence you can undertake if you're absolutely minted.

It's an objectively awful song

I don't know about that. It's very well crafted, especially insofar as it contains 2 choruses in one; the "it's coming home" refrain is essentially a counterpart to the actual chorus and, by trailing that in the intro, Broudie not only sets up the chorus but creates two entry points into the song - only one of them had to take and it was "it's coming home" that did. Broudie was a great craftsman, which is why he was in demand as a produced before, during and after the success of the Lightning Seeds.

Lyrically, it is, of course, entitled garbage - the notion that football belongs to England and anyone who beats them is therefore a sworn enemy is exactly the kind of horseshit that got us where we are now.

All the craftsmanship in the world can't detract from the sheer assault on the ears of a group of drunkards thinking they're the tits because a ball went into a net a few times

As football songs go (quite a rotten frame of reference I will admit) it’s not that bad except when you hear it being chanted at a bus stop by a group of LADS.

It has already been mentioned that it is fairly catchy, musically it was bang on trend for the time, and CRUCIALLY I would argue that actually it isn’t just smug entitled nonsense.

Unlike every Engerlund song before and after it does unusually manage to be a bit self-deprecating and capture the frustration and sadness of being a football fan (I would imagine…).

It’s pretty clear that later attempts at repeating the success with an “official” England song COMPLETELY missed the point, especially the horrendous self-congratulatory through-gritted-teeth Spice-endorsed attempt two years later. :zombie:

As football songs go (quite a rotten frame of reference I will admit) it’s not that bad except when you hear it being chanted at a bus stop by a group of LADS.

It has already been mentioned that it is fairly catchy, musically it was bang on trend for the time, and CRUCIALLY I would argue that actually it isn’t just smug entitled nonsense.

Unlike every Engerlund song before and after it does unusually manage to be a bit self-deprecating and capture the frustration and sadness of being a football fan (I would imagine…).

It’s pretty clear that later attempts at repeating the success with an “official” England song COMPLETELY missed the point, especially the horrendous self-congratulatory through-gritted-teeth Spice-endorsed attempt two years later. :zombie:

I think I might have BOUGHT this (because Spice Girls) but OOFF - and this was the last single with Geri's vocals :o
The girls seem to be enjoying themselves, but the indie lot look very dead behind the eyes, especially the Echo & the Bunnymen guy - but I see that he co-wrote it!

Oh it turns out I didn't buy England United, I bought this rather odd effort during my Chumbawamba phase.

They just sort of glommed a half-song onto Ole Ole Ole for the World Cup in... France 🤷‍♂️ Not at all jarring addition of social "commentary" by just listing working class people and hoping that's enough. "Oh, I'm an ex-miner, I feel seen!"

Oh it turns out I didn't buy England United, I bought this rather odd effort during my Chumbawamba phase.

They just sort of glommed a half-song onto Ole Ole Ole for the World Cup in... France 🤷‍♂️ Not at all jarring addition of social "commentary" by just listing working class people and hoping that's enough. "Oh, I'm an ex-miner, I feel seen!"

The Chumbas were nothing if not reliably heavy-handed. Always ones for the verbal bludgeon rather than the rapier wit.

I loved it at the time, 25 years ago :evil: but it has of course been ruined by APES. "SCUMMIN OME, SCUMMIN OME" every two years for EVER AND EVER AMEN.

It was (kind of) a bop back in 96 but post-Brexit and half a decade of a hard-right nationalist regime, it leaves me a little queasy.

If we actually win is there any small hope of this being officially retired? Please no updated version.

World in Motion remains the acceptable football song, though that doesn't really work for the European Championships.

If we actually win is there any small hope of this being officially retired? Please no updated version.
I’d like to think so, but I doubt it since it’s definitely one of those songs that’s “owned by the fans” now…

It’s funny that it’s being seen as the YOBBO song when there’s Vindaloo too!

I have an odd soft spot for "Vindaloo" but this is mainly because it has one of *those* Alex James basslines. First time I heard it, knowing nothing about it, I knew it was him.

You have to give us the full Top 5... (plz)
Top ten.

1CAPT TOM MOORE99 YRS, 11 M2020YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
2TOM JONES68 YRS, 9 M2009(BARRY) ISLANDS IN THE STREAM
3LOUIS ARMSTRONG66 YRS, 10 M1968WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD
4TONY CHRISTIE61 YRS, 11 M2005(IS THIS THE WAY TO) AMARILLO?
5FRANK SKINNER61 YRS, 5 M20183 LIONS
6CLIFF RICHARD59 YRS, 1 M1999MILLENNIUM PRAYER
7ELTON JOHN58 YRS, 3 M2005GHETTO GOSPEL
8MICHAEL BALL57 YRS, 9 M2020YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
9LEO SAYER57 YRS, 8 M2006THUNDER IN MY HEART AGAIN
10OZZY OSBOURNE55 YRS2003CHANGES

I had completely forgotten about "(Barry) Islands In The Stream"...

If Three Lions goes to No 1 this week, then Skinner will vault Tony Christie and Baddiel will push Ozzy out of the top 10...

How this topic got so far without anyone mentioning it's the Lightning Seeds, rather than Lightning Seed.

Either way, it's become deeply annoying, due to the obvious moronic connotations. That said it was an absolute belter back in 1996 and I remember thoroughly enjoying it out at the indie club.

94-95 proving it's worth in recent years, providing both the ultimate modern Christmas/ Football anthems.

I had completely forgotten about "(Barry) Islands In The Stream"...

If Three Lions goes to No 1 this week, then Skinner will vault Tony Christie and Baddiel will push Ozzy out of the top 10...
:o Love these kind of stats. Can't believe Ozzy was only 55 then.

Being old and called Tom seems to work. Any chance of Tom Waits recording a popular charity record?

I remember 94-95 being excellent years for music. Mid-late 96 that it started to get a bit sour as all the Casts and Ocean Colour Scenes began to dominate (no wonder Spice Girls were so huge - we needed some COLOUR) but the combination of "Be Here Now" being shite and Radiohead making OK Computer pretty much swept it all away in '97.

Ocean Colour Scene weren't bad, but Cast, Dodgy and the many radio staples of The Lightning Seeds were all that was dreadful about that era.

I'm out the boat on that - I couldn't *stand* Ocean Colour Scene and I still can't. I blame Paul "Fucking" Weller.

I'm out the boat on that - I couldn't *stand* Ocean Colour Scene and I still can't. I blame Paul "Fucking" Weller.

Ignoring the weird baggy album OCS wrote some brilliant songs, their album B side seasides and freerides is worth a listen, its far removed from the indie pop vibe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom