Lithuania 2021: The Roop - Discoteque

As for Discotheque, it’s a definite 11/10 from the SOLDI JURY. They were never going to reach the heights of On Fire but this is lovely and will probably finish top ten in Rotterdam.

It’s not as IMMEDIATE as On Fire but I think it’ll grow, although STRUCTURALLY it feels a bit messy. I like how UNDERSTATED it is, which could work with or against them considering how it’s staged.

On first listen (to both of them), I think I like Discotheque more than On Fire but that could change. Both are fun though

My gosh it is so good. I thought it was good on first listen but repeated listens really work for this track. I can imagine a great stage show too.

On first listen I'm not really getting it. It has the hallmarks of a grower though, but it's brave to send a grower to Eurovision

On Fire was effortlessly cool and the minimalist take was inspired. This isn't as good. It veers on "kOoKy!" and annoying. Will be curious to see how it grows though. I do like them a lot.

On first listen I'm not really getting it. It has the hallmarks of a grower though, but it's brave to send a grower to Eurovision
Do the juries hear the songs for the first time during the rehearsal week (at least "seemingly") or are they all looning out at all the pre-qualifiers like Moopy?

On Fire was effortlessly cool and the minimalist take was inspired. This isn't as good. It veers on "kOoKy!" and annoying. Will be curious to see how it grows though. I do like them a lot.
I think that’s my beef. It doesn’t feel as spontaneous, like the brief was ‘just be weird like you were last year’.

I think I'm finding it catchier and more instant than "On Fire", but I can't decide if it's also slightly annoying. Never really got the fuss about them last year and doubt this will be near the top of my rankings but can't deny that after a couple of listens, the hook is going round and round in my head.

I have the standard reservation about him singing about dancing alone while dancing with other people, but Jana demonstrated that's better than the alternative.

The Roop song does nothing for me on first listen, and being a SLOW BURN is not really in the spirit of Eurovision AT ALL, but I will bite my lip further until we have a performance.

On Fire is such a lost Eurovision classic, I love it SO MUCH these days.
At least we did get a LIVE PERF that indicated what it would have been like on stage, unlike cleoPATRA!

OH WAIT there is a PERF, and it's much better for me with visuals!

I LOVE the simplicity of the all-yellow alongside the chequerboard pattern. It could look really impactful.
You could argue that all the dances come across as a little bit desperate, but the lead singer is so telegenic I think they just about get away with it.

This is definitely going to win their national selection right? It would be SO CRUEL if not :D

I officially LOVE THIS now, and I'm declaring the lead singer the hottest contestant* we've had since MAHMOOD :disco: You can tell he knows a SLAP OF MOISTURISER does the face a world of good :disco:

*TBC

I had a proper moment of DANCING ALONE to this earlier

A quick RE-WATCH of the On Fire live perf confirms that they have no problem delivering the LIVE SHOW, it's borderline EXHILARATING!

SERIOUSLY Mister The Roop is so telegenic :D He could perform completely alone and it would be absolutely FINE!
OMG first Tia Kofi, now do I stan THE ROOP?

We've put on tonight's live show, but might have come in near the end - anyone watching?

Also performing to an iPhone mounted on stage is quite the flop gimmick if you ask ME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom