Live Threads

I don't know if this is such a thing, but does a @moderator tag exist? Like if I wanted a mod in a thread to do something, rather than requesting in the mod thread, could you tag @mod and the mods get a notification??
I'm probably asking for the impossible I know :D
Like a panic button?

"In case of Penelope please break glass"

I've done a risk assessment on Penelope and have concluded to only way to avoid the risk of harm is to have this feature to deal with him as soon as possible.

That or delete him.

Well that was well tested!

Worked very well, didn't it? I couldn't do the quiz because my pal's radio show was on but you could immediately see how well suited it was and how it encouraged engagement.

Top marks to the team for this.

Will these remain a feature only admin could switch on or could mods do it and even regular users in the future?

Will these remain a feature only admin could switch on or could mods do it and even regular users in the future?
I enabled it for Mods this morning. If it was possible, I would let it be an option for everyone when creating a thread, or for their own threads, but that would require custom coding that I can't be arsed pursuing at the moment.

I enabled it for Mods this morning. If it was possible, I would let it be an option for everyone when creating a thread, or for their own threads, but that would require custom coding that I can't be arsed pursuing at the moment.
So it's possible in the future. Very nice. The new tag will certainly provide for any EMERGENCY NEEDS FOR A LIVE THREAD.

Hello, so I've noticed a little bug with these - when I'm reading back over a thread, say it's got 30 pages, I'll be on a random page like 15 and when I scroll all of a sudden I'm looking at the posts from page 30? It's happened a couple of times and there's probably nothing that can be done about it but just to FLAG :emoji_triangular_flag_on_post:

Last edited:
Hello, so I've noticed a little bug with these - when I'm reading back over a thread, say it's got 30 pages, I'll be on a random page like 15 and when I scroll all of a sudden I'm looking at the posts from page 30? It's happened a couple of times and there's probably nothing that can be done about it but just to FLAG :emoji_triangular_flag_on_post:

Yeah, i'd noticed that too. A quick page refresh usually sorts it.

Having looked at the code on this one for a while i'm not overly convinced there's a way around it.

Reactions: dUb
I don't know if it's just my browser but both times in the live Melodifestivalen threads, half the time I go to type something in the reply box, the thread updates, moving the page up and I can't see. I then have to scroll down quickly to type before it does it again.

Is there something I need to adjust myself or has anyone else had this problem? I think it's similar to what Dub's saying.

This is on a laptop not a phone, although I think it does the same there.

Weird, my box stays in place. I think you need to have scrolled down enough for it to lock on to the reply box?

Weird, my box stays in place. I think you need to have scrolled down enough for it to lock on to the reply box?

Thanks, I'll give that a go next time. I scroll down enough to see the reply box along with the most recent replies together but maybe I need to go further.

It's not a major issue as replies tend to be quick in those sorts of threads anyway, but I could do without the page moving while I'm trying to do it as then I can't see what I'm typing. I probably just need to play around with it a little.

I will wait for Charlotte "Perennial" Perelli's opus next week before I fully champion it.

Charlotte Perelli versus Live Threads is definitely the debate we've all been waiting for.

Live threads have caused me issues so far, whereas Charlotte has taken me to heaven on a number of occasions. No brainer.

Okay this is still happening to me, I've tried it in a couple of browsers. It must be my laptop but I wouldn't know what to change.

Some kind angel please help because this will make hosting the semi on Sunday really hard :(

Oh hang on...obviously if I scroll low enough it DOES stay in place. I suppose I just wanted to simultaneously see that AND the last reply or two as it updates, but never mind, this will do!

Zen you were right of course, ta!

Oh hang on...obviously if I scroll low enough it DOES stay in place. I suppose I just wanted to simultaneously see that AND the last reply or two as it updates, but never mind, this will do!

Zen you were right of course, ta!

this was my problem in Ag's quiz the other day too, that the reply box kept going down instead of messages flowing up so to say. made it really hard to be quick on your fingers! and what's the point of a chat if you can't see the last couple of messages :square:

this was my problem in Ag's quiz the other day too, that the reply box kept going down instead of messages flowing up so to say. made it really hard to be quick on your fingers! and what's the point of a chat if you can't see the last couple of messages :square:

Yeah it's definitely not ideal, obviously you want to see what's going on as well, but you often end up playing catch up with the reply box. There's a lot of fiddly scrolling with a live thread, although I appreciate refreshing pages in a busy topic isn't great either.

To be honest I think it's worse for me because I'm having trouble with my laptop/browsers, where every time I scroll up or down it speed scrolls to the top or bottom and it's driving me NUTS.

Yeah this is about it. The message want to go up, instead of down.

Could the reply box be fixed in live threads?

That happened to me too, if everyone was having the same problem it wasn't a disadvantage.

I'm struggling to see how you could "fix" it - new posts will come through, extending the number of words on the whole page and that'll naturally push the reply box down.

The only ways I can think to fix it are either to have some kind of reverse scroll lock, or by moving the reply box to somewhere else on the screen (e.g. the top of the page). The latter would make the live threads a bit pointless, and the first i'm not 100% sure how you engineer to do in the code, but there must be a way.

I find live threads infuriating. It keeps jumping about from page to page and also I’ll be typing a reply and the reply box will disappear from my screen and I have to go hunting for it again. I also find them really difficult to keep up with.

My only problem is when I'm typing and the page refreshes and you have to back to the reply box again, that's annoying. If you're just reading is fine.

I don’t really understand the numbering of pages works in the live threads. It looks like I’ve got several more pages to read but then I don’t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom