Liz Phair - new album Soberish OUT NOW

Let's talk about Liz :disco:

I've only got her most recent album... the "sell out" one.. but to be honest I love it. Her voice is wonderful; the arrangements are subtle and the melodies are just perfect. Some of the lyrics I'm not so sure about; but otherwise it's a decent little pop rock album that deserved more recognition and less scorn.

What about her other albums? I've been interested in her for a while and I need to invest. Where should I start?

Last edited:
I'm probably the only one who adored "Why Can't I?" here. :shy: "Extraordinary" was ace too, and "Hot White Cum" is erm... UNIQUE. :D

"Exile In Guyville" & "Whip-Smart" are the other two albums I'd recommend first... "Supernova", "X-Ray Man", and "Go West" are cool. :D

I LOVE "Liz Phair" predictably. "Extraordinary" should have been HUGE. "Rock Me" is my fave, and "Little Digger" genuinely moving.

Some ACE lyrics too.

"Your record collection don't exist
You don't even know who LIZ PHAIR is"

"Here we are we're at the beginning
We haven't fucked yet but my head is swimming"

"Face it baby one of these days
Without you i'm just another Dorian Gray"

Reactions: GNL
JUST get "Exile In Guyville"... thats all you ever need... it'll make you realise what a horrible album "Liz Phair" is, actually...

Meh. I don't get her and I don't see what's so special about "Exile In Guyville" either and don't see how it's an answer album to "Exile On Main Street" (which is very overrated itself anyway). Maybe her potty mouth was "shocking" in those pre-Alanis days but I don't think she deserved any of those PJ Harvey comparisons.

loomer said:
I don't think she deserved any of those PJ Harvey comparisons.
You know, they were both dubbed "the indie Madonna" by various publications on both sides of the Atlantic y'know..

That's right.. Peej went topless for the NME when she started out. Liz has spoke of Madge's influence before "Madonna is the speedboat. The rest of us are just the Go-Go's on waterskis". Courtney Love has also been called the indie Madonna, a far more accurate comparison.

Thought you'd be interested, Suedey. Lead single off her new album: "Somebody's Miracle"

Called "Everything To Me".

mms://66.186.0.101/allaccess/lizpever.wma

I like it! :D No "Why Can't I?", but catchy indeed!

Last edited:
For some reason this came up 11 years later in my suggested threads box and ties in with me coming across a copy of the 3rd album 'whitechocolatespaceegg' in it's originally intended form that was rejected by the record company along with some bonus material. Very much in the style of the first two records, the final edition was almost a whole different new album and the tracks that survived were very much more polished than originally intended. She's on tour with Smashing Pumpkins these days and is promising 2 new albums this year. My Liz Phair album rank is :

1 whitechocolatespaceegg
2 Exile in Guyville
3 Whip-Smart
4 Funstyle
5 Somebody's Miracle
6 Liz Phair

I've seen a lot of talk about this original WCSE...I'm worried I don't have it :D Can you point me in the right direction BFS?

I really hope we get the new albums this year. It's been way too long.

I've seen a lot of talk about this original WCSE...I'm worried I don't have it :D Can you point me in the right direction BFS?

I really hope we get the new albums this year. It's been way too long.

Check your messages :-)

Can I beg for it too?

I seriously love that album.

I'm a big strong man. I cut the grass. Graaaaaaassssssss.

I never got this! How reddish brown..

Anyway, I've had a very vulnerable and luscious morning listening to WCSE, one of my favourite albums from the richest of the rich 98/99 season. It's just so good, so consistent and every song a cute little pocket, doodle or twisted slut anthem disguised as Starbucks fodder.

Was it a guy from R.E.M? Anyways, I very much enjoyed the sheen where it shone. The title track is like giving birth... to yourself.

Last edited:
Well clearly Exile in Guyville is one of the best albums of all time and I love Whitechocolatespaceegg as well bien sur.

Whip-Smart I have to be in the mood for but mostly gets little airplay chez Suede.

Liz Phair. Well, what can I say. Huh. I changed my mind from 2005.

I can't get into any of her material aside from Liz Phair. It's such a great early 2000s pop album. :shy:

I wish she’d randomly drop Soberish on us digitally. Can a physical release really be that lucrative for her these days?

She signed to Chrysalis Records a few months back.

Controversially I think LIZ PHAIR is very good, and HWC was ahead of its time (very much the WAP of the Lilith Fair set).

Last edited:
I listened to the self titled a few days ago and still love it. Shame it performed even worse than the albums before it despite being a “sell out” :D

These are my favourite 10 Liz songs as of right now.

Fuck and Run
Supernova
Johnny Feelgood
Polyester Bride
What Makes You Happy
Shitloads of Money
Red Light Fever
Leap Of Innocence
Wind and the Mountain
Table For One

Whether you think it was a good album or not, the contemporary reviews of the Liz Phair album were for the most part disgustingly misogynistic.

Reactions: GNL
It’s a new song called “Hey Lou”. She accidentally made it public on her Youtube over the weekend. It’s hidden again now, presumably for the premiere on the 10th.

It’s “okay”. Has a nice chorus, but a bit of a disappointing follow up to Good Side.

Yeah, after a few more listens it’s really grown on me! It’s giving me WCSE/Comeandgetit EP vibes.

New album “Soberish” is coming June 4th!

The album cover is...a trip.

F2B035FF-C6AA-43E5-BB45-D41764A0FB3D.jpeg

Tracklist. I remember a forum somewhere years ago where people would discuss their favourite songs based on the song titles without having heard the album, not Liz loons, so I’ll have a think about mine. I didn’t format this table.
1Spanish Doors
2The Game
3Hey Lou
4In There
5Good Side
6Sheridan Road
7Ba Ba Ba
8Soberish
9Soul Sucker
10Lonely Street
11Dosage
12Bad Kitty